White smoke coming from the dipstick and oil cap by FieroInFlames
Started on: 03-28-2021 04:33 PM
Replies: 10 (878 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-28-2021 10:05 PM
FieroInFlames

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroInFlamesSend a Private Message to FieroInFlamesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://imgur.com/gallery/FNes0jt

Not sure what to do or where to start. Car runs fine, starts up right away, and I don't feel like there's any loss of power. Had some suggestions from the subreddit that it's a bad exhaust mainfold gasket, a valve cover leak, or blow by. Can anyone help me diagnose the problem? I attached an imgur link at the top with a video of the engine smoking.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to say run a compression test. That looks like all sorts of head gasket to me.
FieroInFlames

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroInFlamesSend a Private Message to FieroInFlamesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

I am going to say run a compression test. That looks like all sorts of head gasket to me.

I can find people discussing the results of their compression tests all over the internet, but I can't find a guide on it. Would it be in the haynes manual and do a need that little gauge thing actually do it?
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need the guage. If it's a small leak you may not detect it with this method. I suspect you have a combustion chamber to oil jacket leak. The smoke you see is exhaust entering the oil jacket side of the engine. When this happens on the coolant side you can do a leak down test to confirm.

Edit:

I think you are experiencing #2 in this list
https://haynes.com/en-us/ti...head-gasket-can-fail
I've personally seen and worked on 5 out of 7 in that list. I've yet to see oil or coolant to outside.. but probably will eventually.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 03-28-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might be a good idea to also pressurize the cooling system. If it doesn't hold pressure then its most likely a head gasket problem. White smoke is usually steam.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroInFlames:

I attached an imgur link at the top with a video of the engine smoking.

That's gotta be one of the crappiest ways of posting a video. First, shoot video in the correct orientation, not in portrait/vertical video mode. Then upload it to YouTube, where you then can easily embed the videos in your posts here.

In regards to your issue, check that the PCV system is operating properly. Otherwise, pressure in the crankcase builds up and it tries to escape anywhere it can. Make sure the PCV valve isn't sticking, or better yet, just replace the valve. It's inexpensive.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-28-2021).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

That's gotta be one of the crappiest ways of posting a video. First, shoot video in the correct orientation, not in portrait/vertical video mode. Then upload it to YouTube, where you then can easily embed the videos in your posts here.

In regards to your issue, check that the PCV system is operating properly. Otherwise, pressure in the crankcase builds up and it tries to escape anywhere it can. Make sure the PCV valve isn't sticking, or better yet, just replace the valve. It's inexpensive.

The only reason I disagree with PVC is from a different video he didn't share here where there's smoke puffing out of the dipstick tube with the dipstick still installed. (He said he posted in Reddit and thought id see what advice he got over there i did this before my initial comment)

WARNING! Portrait Video
https://www.reddit.com/r/fi...l_me_this_is_normal/

Edit:

Also this rear line that has no check valve and is under constant vacuum while running.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The only reason I disagree with PVC is...

I disagree with PVC as well... because it's PCV.

Also this rear line that has no check valve and is under constant vacuum while running.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

That tube is the air supply for the PCV system. If the PCV valve isn't stuck shut, yes, that tube is normally under vacuum. However, under certain engine conditions, crankcase pressure is temporarily forced to go the other way (into the air snorkel)... and if the PCV valve is stuck shut, then built up crankcase pressure is constantly being pushed out into the snorkel... and out anywhere else it can escape.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That tube is the air supply for the PCV system. If the PCV valve isn't stuck shut, yes, that tube is normally under vacuum. However, under certain engine conditions, crankcase pressure is temporarily forced to go the other way (into the air snorkel)... and if the PCV valve is stuck shut, then built up crankcase pressure is constantly being pushed out into the snorkel... and out anywhere else it can escape.

HA! I blame autocorrect

I guess I had my vacuum direction swapped and found this nice video.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...found this nice video.

Yeah, that explains it pretty good. I first learned about the PCV system back in the early 70's while fiddling around with small and big block Chevy engines. Pretty simple, yet effective system which hasn't changed much over the decades.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the car has been parked overnight to days could be just moisture boiling off on top of any blow by for the pistons.
Weird weather in most places can dump a lot of water into a cooling/cold engine and take awhile to boil off.

If the car has been running an hour or more, then maybe worry.
Pressure testing Fiero coolant system is harder because little clearance to install most testers on the rad w/o taking the hood off...
Most current kits available thru "Loaner Tools" programs have many caps all too tall to fit there.
Most Old Stant testers you find used have the pump on the rad tube and even taller then new testers.
Only found 1 old ACDelco tester (AKA GM/Kent-Moore J-24460-A ) w/ a test cap made to fit Fiero and some others w/o pulling the hood etc. (Likely is a Stant tester but never seen this version w/ their name. Stant makers parts and tools for car makers for 50+ years.) Likely still find one but likely have to buy a tool you rarely need.

Iffy valve may make this problem and is cheap so replace them.
But a good PCV valve only helps when an engine isn't worn. Even then, opening oil fill port bypass the valve and "smoke" just goes out the shortest path.

If the fill cover is on and smoking thru PCV inlet port then something is wrong. I think should see a little vacuum there @ idle.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay