Proper way to break in a 3800sc by pontiacfierokid1985
Started on: 03-22-2021 11:05 PM
Replies: 2 (113 views)
Last post by: darbysan on 03-23-2021 09:43 AM
pontiacfierokid1985

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2021 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I had a bad 2 months I had my 3800 built well come to find out I chipped a piston and crushed a spark plug along with dropped a valve. I pulled the 3800sc out and had it rebuilt I just got it back from the machine shop again and in the car I’m ready to start it.

With this build I went with a 5% overdrive harmonic balancer a 3.4 zzp pulley and did front and rear power logs from zzp. Stock L67 bottom new pistons, rings, hardware for crank bearings were fine so machine shops ending up reusing those. I don’t want this to happen again so what is the proper break in procedure?

I’m running 10w30 with a break in additive from Lucas oil company is this fine. I heard run it up to 2000 rpm and hold it there for 20 minutes making sure fan comes on etc so it don’t overheat.

Anymore info will be nice [img]http://images.fieroforum.co m/userimages/pontiacfierokid1985/FD1E1601-130B-4A9F-87F1-3076EBAE4DE9.jpeg[/img]
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2021 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would just drive the car regularly and avoid full throttle runs for the first 1000 miles or so. Automotive manufacturer only spot check engines before delivery and very limited pre-sale testing is done at the dealership. Point is modern engines do not get too much if any break in.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2021 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The technique of running up to 2000 is to seat in flat tappet lifters to the cam. IIRC, the 3800 has roller lifters, and if that is correct then this break in procedure is unnecessary. If you have flat tappet or solid lifters, non roller, then this procedure may be the correct one to employ.

One thing I would do is make sure to pump up the oil pressure to make sure the cam bearings are lubricated before starting. The machine shop should have used a cam lube when installing, but just in case pull the FP fuse and then crank the engine for 30 seconds to 1 minute. That should get the oil circulating.

------------------
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering. (SOLD)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock