Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  3800 swap; waterpump, valve covers, ... what else?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 swap; waterpump, valve covers, ... what else? by bmyers
Started on: 03-21-2021 02:59 PM
Replies: 3 (270 views)
Last post by: Frenchrafe on 03-22-2021 12:03 PM
bmyers

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmyersSend a Private Message to bmyersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all,

I am prepping a 3800 to be installed in an 86 Fiero. It was suggested I remove the valve covers and re-install them on opposite sides so as to make the oil fill hole more accessible. Was also suggested that I replace the waterpump since, should it fail, there's no way to replace it w/the engine in the car. These suggestion seem to make sense. Is there is anything else I should do before installing? Thx

------------------
Brian

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2021 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Valve covers yes.
Water pump no, unless you want peace of mind because potentially failed pump.
I have no problem changing out a water pump in place. It's just a little less space to see well.

Regards,
Rafe

------------------
"Turbo Slug" - '87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. Sticky tyres. Driven hard!
https://www.youtube.com/cha...1wZvWQlkYxTjivW_0XNg

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2021 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agree with Rafe the 3800 water pump can be changed while the engine is in the car. How many miles on the engine before deciding to change the pump may be the deciding factor.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2021 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, depending on where you position the ICM and coils, you may need to splice in some longer wires to get the ICM harness to fit.
I started with the "coil pack" riding on the boot/trunk firewall. It then evolved to sit in the place of the battery (which was moved to the front of the car).
Each time, I had to modify the ICM harness a little bit.

Good luck,
Rafe

------------------
"Turbo Slug" - '87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. Sticky tyres. Driven hard!
https://www.youtube.com/cha...1wZvWQlkYxTjivW_0XNg

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock