Starter upgrade SHIM question by Kitskaboodle
Started on: 03-20-2021 10:03 PM
Replies: 3 (112 views)
Last post by: cebix on 03-21-2021 09:28 AM
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you done the Fiero starter upgrade? Iโ€™m really looking forward to this swap! I ordered a starter for a 98 Grand Prix GTP. Looking forward to higher torque. ๐Ÿ˜€
Anyways , I have the new starter ready to install on my 85 GT but I have a question about shims. The old Fiero starter had a long slotted thick shim that was installed under one of the bolts. (the one that faces the rear of the car)
Do I need to install this shim with the new gear reduction starter? What did you do? How do I determine if I need a shim and how much shim. I heard itโ€™s hard to get a wire in there to check the clearance.
Thanks, Kit
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New unit may need same, different or none.
See my Cave, Starter

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-21-2021).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 05:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, thanks Ogre.
I forgot to mention mine is an auto.
Kit
cebix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did this swap years ago on my '85 2.5 auto when my original starter finally died.

Didn't need no shimming but that's just me. I haven't measured the slot properly but it doesn't make weird noises so I left it as it is.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock