Float for fuel level sending unit. by cmd88
Started on: 03-19-2021 10:36 AM
Replies: 8 (261 views)
Last post by: cmd88 on 04-04-2021 08:01 PM
cmd88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cmd88Send a Private Message to cmd88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the float for the fuel level sending unit comes loose in the tank, can it be re-attached? I'd rather not drop the tank until the fuel pump goes bad, but an easy repair might motivate me.

Anybody have good pics of the assembly?

'88 coupe by the way.

Thanks!

cmd88

[This message has been edited by cmd88 (edited 03-19-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tnkgnr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tnkgnrSend a Private Message to tnkgnrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's mine from this summer.

FWIW, I don't think there's enough room for the float to slide off inside the tank. So if you have a gauge that's going back and forth, I think the culprit would more likely be the sending unit. I believe some people have had success just cleaning it up.

[This message has been edited by tnkgnr (edited 03-19-2021).]

cmd88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmd88Send a Private Message to cmd88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello tnkgnr.

It's just my theory. The fuel gauge is always on "E". When I fill the tank I can hear something rolling around the top of the tank coinciding with the sloshing of the fuel. It's not the gauge because I have a spare gauge cluster I plugged in and still shows "E". The rolling sound goes away when the fuel level is lower. Previous owner claims to have replaced the fuel pump, so could have been damaged by human error.

Is there some sort of clip or fastener that holds the float on the lever?

Thanks!

cmd88
tnkgnr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tnkgnrSend a Private Message to tnkgnrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you look closely or enlarge the picture, you might make it out. There's a star-like grommet that pushes on, very simple.

BTW, welcome to the forum!
cmd88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cmd88Send a Private Message to cmd88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A grommet. Awesome news! Sounds like I'll be dropping the tank this summer, after I fix all of the other stuff lol!!!

cmd88

[This message has been edited by cmd88 (edited 03-20-2021).]

cmd88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmd88Send a Private Message to cmd88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just thought I'd post a funny update.

Spent the afternoon dropping the tank. Found the float and rod assembly lying on the bottom of the tank. Reinstalled it back on the sending unit. Reinstalled the tank. Added 2 gallons at home to the empty tank from a gas container. Gauge shows just under 1/4 of a tank. Feeling proud for the effort went to gas station for a fill up. Float fell off again! Now I have a full tank of gas to burn before I can make a more "permanent" fix.

Considering the car currently has bigger issues, I can laugh this one off!

cmd88
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now with a full tank it may be a good idea to drop it . At least the float will be right at the top ready to grab. No need to reach your arm down in the tank.
You may want to solder that star washer in place this time. lol..

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

cmd88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmd88Send a Private Message to cmd88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Star washer is not to blame. It's where the rod connects to the sender.This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

cmd88
cmd88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2021 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmd88Send a Private Message to cmd88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fixed!

cmd88

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock