How to achieve wide tires (tucked) by ninedriver
Started on: 03-18-2021 12:17 PM
Replies: 4 (369 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 03-18-2021 04:26 PM
ninedriver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninedriverSend a Private Message to ninedriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’m still in search of 17 or possibly 18 inch wheels for my 88GT and have had some great feedback from some members. With the larger rims, I also want to run wider tires. My major concern is to keep the outer profile, sidewall, of the tires from sticking out an further than the factory. I understand to achieve this, the wider the rims will require greater offset. I’ve seen the picture / chart that one of our members assembled which is very helpful. I’ve also seen guys run some pretty wide tires, especially in the rear and still keep them tucked.

I’m guessing the stock suspension components may limit tire/rim width? Maybe turn radius travel?
I’ve read larger diameter rims will help with some of the clearance issues?
Perhaps upgrading to coil overs?

So, how are guys running wide wheels/tires and keeping them “tucked”, not stick out past factory.

And how wide can I run? I’m thinking maybe 225 in the front and 265 in the rear but I’d like to know the max and how to achieve it.

BTW, I’m not interested in a wide body kit.

Thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a chart someplace on here that shows body line tire width and wheel offset.
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

skywurz

1030 posts
Member since Feb 2006

found here //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-2-096296.html

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 03-18-2021).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run 17x8 45et w/235/40/17 in front and 18x9.5 45et with 285/30/18 in rear on my 88.

I didn't limit myself to keeping the wheels tucked like stock and instead have the faces of the wheels flush with the belt line molding front/rear. I am at the limits of inboard clearance to the sway bar up front as well as the trailing link in the rear. You can't go any wider without either sticking out further or modifying suspension components.

Since you have an 88, you might find some of my products beneficial:
http://fieroguruperformance.com/
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going all out for extremely wide tires......But I finally realized that I want to enjoy driving my Fiero; When I switched to my new wheel/tire package I lost 3 lbs off each rear and 6 lbs off each front. The car is just much better and fun to drive. The ride and handling are better. The steering is also much better- lighter effort and better feel.

My car now has 205/55 and 225/55 General G-Max A/S tires on 16 x 7 wheels with 38 mm offset. These size tires were common on a lot of popular cars in the late 80s and 90s, so you have a lot of options tire-wise. The General tires are substantially lighter than BFGs.....And they wear good and rate highly on Tirerack.

My 2600 lb Fiero compared to a 3500 lb Vette equal 1:1.35 ratio.....The 205s equal 275s and the 225s equal 305s...

Just something to consider!

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 03-18-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock