2.8 Assembly and mounting by SemperFi18
Started on: 03-18-2021 10:20 AM
Replies: 5 (128 views)
Last post by: SemperFi18 on 03-18-2021 10:48 PM
SemperFi18

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all,

Quick question about the whole drop the cradle pull the block routine. I recently took my 2.8 in for a stroker long block, bad rings/cylinders, valve seats.. It was time. Got a good deal on it locally in Spokane, with a 70k mile warranty.

My question is, is there a comprehensive step by step service manual type guide to go from getting the long block back to where the cradle is ready to mount? By this I mean, pulley brackets, harness install, all the little smaller brackets, torque specs, mounting the engine to the tranny (auto).

I'm very mechanically inclined, rebuilt engines in the Marine Corps and am currently in HVAC tech. But this is my first 2.8 rebuild, and as we all know of Fiero's have special needs sometimes. I know I will be able to get everything back together, but some type of service guide would definitely expedite things plus I wouldn't have to look up torque specs for every item. I can find step by step service instructions for the long block itself and mounting the cradle but not the in between. Any help would be appreciated, if no one has a solid answer I may end up just doing a write-up with pictures to help people in the future.

86 SE 2.8 Auto

Thanks in advance and have a good one!

A man knows he's in love when his woman can make him forget about his Fiero for a week. A woman knows when she can tolerate the money he spends on it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See I think that's a manual for the rebuild itself inside the block. I'm looking for the steps in between that and mounting the cradle back in the car. So the process from when I get the new long block back from the shop, to sliding it under the car on the dolly
SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SemperFi18

64 posts
Member since Aug 2016
Now that I read a little further into that book it seems like it has the reinstall procedures in there. But I highly doubt it's Fiero specific, I'll dig a little further into that book and see if it would work. Thanks for the info!
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SemperFi18:
My question is, is there a comprehensive step by step service manual type guide to go from getting the long block back to where the cradle is ready to mount? By this I mean, pulley brackets, harness install, all the little smaller brackets, torque specs, mounting the engine to the tranny (auto) ...

Sounds like it is too late to encourage you to take LOTS of pictures while you are disassembling the engine. You are probably stuck searching various old posts to find pictures of the process. When I was putting my 2.8 back together last year there were a few brackets that I had labeled poorly that I could NOT figure out that way. Fortunately, when I posted pictures of the mystery parts our excellent forum members let me know where to put them
SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

Sounds like it is too late to encourage you to take LOTS of pictures while you are disassembling the engine. You are probably stuck searching various old posts to find pictures of the process. When I was putting my 2.8 back together last year there were a few brackets that I had labeled poorly that I could NOT figure out that way. Fortunately, when I posted pictures of the mystery parts our excellent forum members let me know where to put them

I took some pictures and labeled the hardware, I know what everything is other than some of the small brackets. But I do remember the harness being a ***** to route through the brackets and make it look pretty.. I'll figure it out.

I just hoped someone would have a definitive guide plus torque specs, definitely save some time. I'm sure I'll be back in a week doing the same thing as you did haha

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock