Just picked up an 88 V8 Formiula by 88 V8 Formula
Started on: 03-18-2021 08:08 AM
Replies: 17 (637 views)
Last post by: str8maxn on 08-31-2021 12:36 PM
88 V8 Formula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 V8 FormulaClick Here to visit 88 V8 Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88 V8 FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just picked up an 88 V8 Formula - has a 5.7 TPI with a couple mods, but it runs great. Previous owner did some amazing things as far as attention to detail and I am just going to update a few items -- changing the wheels, upgrading the stereo, possibly adding some hp. It came with an adjustable power steering that works flawlessly but is mounted right onto the steering column above the clutch and makes things a bit crowded in the foot well. I'd love to add a rear wing but not sure if it would look correct given the custom engine scoop. Glad to see such an active group. Looking forward to collaborating.

So far, I have changed the wheels from photo below to TSW Tremblants in 17x8 (kept tires as they were just a year old). I also replaced some burned plus wires and am installing a new exhaust with black tips. I will update photos soon.

Putting motor on dyno on Monday and checking on engine and underneath in general. Planning on a mile build on the 5.7 – cam, heads, manifold and tune. Might upgrade to F40 6-speed as well.

I am putting in the 2-DIN trim piece that moves the AC to the bottom -- will CF dip the piece that match CF dash and am adding a Sony head unit with reverse camera as well as replacing all speakers (dash, doors, rear). I will keep amp that was already mounted behind pass seat and add a Rockford powered sub behind driver's seat.

The car has a 20 year old Mr Mikes leather interior that is in pretty good shape, but just dry and little splotchy - not sure if from sun or what. Hoping to bring that back to life a bit.

The prior owner added the low profile headlights with new motors, PIAA driving lights in the front, new power windows with bigger motors, a custom keyless entry with trunk release, new hood, side scoops and rear deck with custom air scoop, new suspension, new leather dash, custom center console with Audi TT shifter, custom rear view mirror with compass and temp, digital gauges, LED tail lights, all new side markers, and a bunch of blacked out trim, including the "Formula" script on the side.

So far, the car is really fun and will be even better with a few tweaks above.

The car has a fresh alignment but does have some slop in the wheel, so I am checking on a couple things to get that tightened up. I have learned a lot searching on here, so look forward to sharing that I come up with. I have a video walk-around from previous owner, but not sure how to post here.
[img]//images.fiero.nl/userimages/88%2520V8%2520Formula/Fiero%2 0Headlights.jpg[/img]
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice-looking vehicle. Wish I could run into something like this with all the major work already done. I'll bet it is a blast to drive.
mafv8

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking car, not too overdone

------------------
84SE, aero body, 4 speed and an injected 355 V8

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it!

Originally posted by 88 V8 Formula:

I have a video walk-around from previous owner, but not sure how to post here.

The easiest way to post a video here is to link to it at YouTube. Click EDIT on anyone's post here with an embedded video to see how it's done.

Your fourth photo which isn't showing up is due to a space in the url. Delete the space and the photo will properly display.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-20-2021).]

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet ride, welcome to the forum!

What kind of brakes are those? Rotors look huge
88 V8 Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 V8 FormulaClick Here to visit 88 V8 Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88 V8 FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exhaust work finished.

[img]//images.fiero.nl/userimages/88%2520V8%2520Formula/IMG95378211.j pg[/img]
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2021 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really nice car. I can see the wheels being a personal choice thing to change. Those aren't bad but generally I like odd numbers of spokes.
88 V8 Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 V8 FormulaClick Here to visit 88 V8 Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88 V8 FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll post photos of new wheels when I get it back. Went with TSW Tremblant 17x8 that are similar to the old mesh style oem wheels.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really nice V8 Formula! Lots of time, effort and $$$ went into building it!

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:
What kind of brakes are those? Rotors look huge

Pretty sure they are 13" rotors in a 17" wheel. It looks like one of my 13" brake kits for the 88.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are some nice exhaust pipes, now the exhaust quality better matches the rest of the car and engine bay.
vwaltdog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vwaltdogSend a Private Message to vwaltdogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cool. I picked up an 88 Formula V8. Not as nice of yours.
PFF
System Bot
str8maxn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for str8maxnSend a Private Message to str8maxnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice... Please keep us posted on your progress.

I recently picked up an 86 notchie with 93 Vette engine myself. It's running rich and I need to figure out why.
88 V8 Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 V8 FormulaClick Here to visit 88 V8 Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88 V8 FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I envy your oem wing!
str8maxn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for str8maxnSend a Private Message to str8maxnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I envy your oem wing!

PM sent
88 V8 Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2021 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 V8 FormulaClick Here to visit 88 V8 Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88 V8 FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Formula has moved on to next shop for some more work - removing power steering system, fixing a battery draw, custom mounting an oem rear wing, adding cams, heads and a new tune, and a few other things. Will keep posting updates and photos as it progresses.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2021 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formula has moved on to next shop for some more work - removing power steering system, fixing a battery draw, custom mounting an oem rear wing, adding cams, heads and a new tune, and a few other things. Will keep posting updates and photos as it progresses.

Looks like a good score and will make for an exciting drive. As for the guy with the black formula who is just getting started, I would recommend doing a compression or cylinder leakdown test before before moving forward.This will give some indication as to the condition of the engine.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

88 V8 Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2021 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 V8 FormulaClick Here to visit 88 V8 Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88 V8 FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, going to have a new intake tube built to use the empty space below current filter and allow for much larger filter as the current one is undersized for the V8 and likely chocking the engine of potential power.
str8maxn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2021 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for str8maxnSend a Private Message to str8maxnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Exhaust work finished.

[img]//images.fiero.nl/userimages/88%2520V8%2520Formula/IMG95378211.j pg[/img]

May I ask what this cost you?

How load is it without a muffler?
I am assuming those are high flow cats.

[This message has been edited by str8maxn (edited 08-31-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page