Starter bolt info needed by Dave E Bouy
Started on: 03-17-2021 08:29 PM
Replies: 3 (378 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-19-2021 02:13 AM
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2021 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am getting near(ish) to the end of my LQ1/F23 swap. I don't have any starter bolts and will need to source some. I know they're M10 but I need to know the thread pitch and also the correct length for both. If anyone could me help me out I'd be grateful.

DF
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RandomTask

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2021 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do the standard ones not work? I've always simply used the ones from the fix-it section of any auto store.
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, I didn't realize these were an off the shelf item. Called my local Car Quest and by golly they have em. Thanks.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM starters w/ 2 vertical bolts need special bolts made for this job. Do Not substitute.
Bolts have "self locking" features to prevent bolts and starter from dropping on highway.

3 different length. Many use 1 short and 1 long. Other use 2 medium or 2 long, etc.
Example: https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-15719-45640.aspx
Click picture to "zoom" to see way different bolt.
Other bolts may say are "starter bolts" aren't for most GM cars.

Hardware and holes must be clean and dry and proper torque.
If engine is aluminum block look up torque table for that engine, not Fiero engines.

Likely need starter shims too.
See my Cave, Starter
If use a ½ shim... file or hammer cut end to thin that area so parts doesn't have point stress.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock