Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Latest Wisdom on Mild Cam & Rockers for 3.4pr (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Latest Wisdom on Mild Cam & Rockers for 3.4pr by thesameguy
Started on: 02-20-2021 11:21 PM
Replies: 47 (826 views)
Last post by: jjd2296 on 05-12-2021 04:47 PM
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2021 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

working on it, stay tuned. If there is anyone else that wants one then speak up now or forever hold your peace!

I'm willing to take a risk on this as well... no idea how it'll pan out, but reversing this mod is a lot easier than reversing a cam, and trading runner length for plenum volume is win-win as far as I'm concerned when it comes to a small car with a big motor.
IP: Logged
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2021 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

Yep.... there is a fuel distributor called Propel that sells E85 and biodiesel out of most Shell stations. I use the latter frequently!

There's your ticket. By increasing the plenum volume and reducing runner length you will slow down air velocity if you don't change the shape of those straw-like shortened runners to make up for that lost air speed.
This reduction in velocity will affect fuel mixture resulting in eccess emissions compared to the stock plenum.You'll get that bit of extra RPMS at the expense of generous amount of remaning unburt mixture.
Now, to compensate you can mix an elixir of pump gas/E85 which will add oxigen to the mixture making it more homogenious. How much more? That's for you to find out through testing with an AFR meter.
If you pay attention to the shape of the runners of my intake, they vary in size at the top and at the bottom. This discrepancy in size gives me the best of both worlds, big torque at low RPMs and high HP at top end with the matching cam and head work of course. Specifically from 2500 to 4700RPM 300+WTQ and 300+WHP @ 6000RPM on a 3.4L NA.
My advice to you is to get the configuration that you want and enjoy your project with the limitations your local laws put on your vehicle. Wish you the best luck.

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2021 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I am only looking for some mild improvement, not some sort of massive shift. If I was going to put real time and real effort into this I'd more than likely just use a newer motor to start with.

I began a conversation with Moates just to see what options are for shoring up the tune if necessary. I think I have this correct that the factory 7170 ECM "can't do **** " and the options from Moates are either an APU1 or an Ostrich but I'm trying to learn more there. The "easy" alternative is a 7730, but I don't think the 7730 can support the old vacuum operated EGR, which I'll need to retain unless I want to be Notorio's guinea pig getting a digital EGR through smog.

But. I am wondering exactly how upset the 7170 will get with a gutted intake and cam. I have zero experience with GM EFI, but I've done all sorts of crazy things to Bosch Jetronic and Ford EEC IV powered cars and not had a problem, so I kinda wanna cross my fingers and see what happens. I can throw a wideband O2 sensor in to monitor and get a sense of how far out of whack it is. I think I actually have an LC1 in the garage.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2021 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first performance car was a Merkur XR4ti also!
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2021 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've virtually doubled the output of the car and still runs factory EEC...Sure the 2.8 ECM can handle another 20%.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

I've virtually doubled the output of the car and still runs factory EEC...Sure the 2.8 ECM can handle another 20%.

Yes, you can double the output of anyting turbo with the stock components. My last turbo project was a 1989 Dodge Spirit SOHC 2.5 Turbo, similar to your XRti4.
I had a Garret 60-1 which produced 425whp and 456wtq on pump gas with the stock SMEC. I had FPR and water injection.
And it had over 400wtq at 2500rpms. Being such a big turbo with that small displacement I opted for the smaller turbine (.48ar). And that was the perfect turbo for that engine, big compressor and small turbine.
Now, to increase power NA is a different story. You have to increase the aggresiveness of everyting and that results in extra emisions, much less than a turbo car at high rpm but WAY much more at idle.

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 03-01-2021).]

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LAME!!!

jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2021 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost done. Supercharger install done! water meth working and I am now waitng for the final tune chip to arrive. With all this intake work I did, my V1 s trim blower is maxing out at 6psi. thats with the factory crank pulley and a 2.8 SC pulley. by vortech calculator Ive maxed out the efficiency. now I do have some belt slipage happening so im installing Dodgerunners tensioner pulley this week. So next years goal will be to increase the capacity of the sc. I have yet to dyno it but it definately feels as fast if not faster than a stock series 2 3.8 sc. with the benifit of the engine looking stock.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock