Clamshell thru the firewall by longjonsilver
Started on: 02-04-2021 05:46 PM
Replies: 16 (436 views)
Last post by: longjonsilver on 04-09-2021 07:08 AM
longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do you disassemble the clamshell that protects wires thru the firewall? Do you use heat? Do you boil it?
thanks
jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suspended it in boiling water and the hot glue (or whatever) inside softened and you can separate the parts.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I submerged my bulkhead pass-through in boiling water, but I didn't separate it.

The glue softened enough that I could simply pull wires out / push new wires through, without disassembly.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

I submerged my bulkhead pass-through in boiling water, but I didn't separate it.

The glue softened enough that I could simply pull wires out / push new wires through, without disassembly.

Some wires are wrapped around the internal clip, so not all wires can simply be pulled out.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2021 05:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, off the the Coleman stove i go.

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2021 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Some wires are wrapped around the internal clip, so not all wires can simply be pulled out.

I've taken a couple of Fiero ones apart, as well as similar parts for a couple of Caddy harnesses. IIRC, in the ones I've taken apart, there was only one wire wrapped around one tine of the "organizer", I @$$ume to hold it in place while they're potting it.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2021 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And if anyone has a part number for these clamshell halves, please spill the beans!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2021 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Their "bulkhead" pass through parts.
Is, more likely Was, a GM "Packard" part label w/ PED somewhere and later made by Delphi Spinoff now called Aptiv own by BorgWarner Inc. in the UK.

Delphi.com Won't sell to you and finding a dealer w/ this exact part is unlikely and if you find one that works is often expensive.

GM dealers often can't get these then or now except buying complete harnesses.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2021 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The issue is that the part does not have any part number on it.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2021 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most other E-parts don't numbers too.
Many OE plugs etc only have PED on them thru 1990's.
PED is Packard Electric Division of Old GM before spinoff all parts to Delphi.

You and Dealers can't get many plugs etc even thru GM.
Some parts are sold thru Dorman and other 3rd parties but often only common parts used by many models like Green MAP plug loose or as a Pig Tail "kit."
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Most other E-parts don't numbers too.
Many OE plugs etc only have PED on them thru 1990's.
PED is Packard Electric Division of Old GM before spinoff all parts to Delphi.

You and Dealers can't get many plugs etc even thru GM.
Some parts are sold thru Dorman and other 3rd parties but often only common parts used by many models like Green MAP plug loose or as a Pig Tail "kit."

Ballenger motorsports, EFI connection, Waytek, Mouser and dozens of other retailers sell the pins, shells, and seals. I use all new stuff when I make a harness.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What the separated pieces look like.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:
Ballenger motorsports, EFI connection, Waytek, Mouser and dozens of other retailers sell the pins, shells, and seals. I use all new stuff when I make a harness.
Yes, C500 and other Pins are easy find and tools to make/handle them too. Some Shells are "Standard" and available. Some Shells and other parts was never available to the public and many others not even for GM dealer service and no GM/PED/Delpni # published.

Delphi even put out big catalog in a Public PDF years ago but often didn't have many GM shells etc.

So might find a 3rd party w/ X part but often can't search w/ GM and other "universal" PN.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2021 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do you get that clamshell back thru the firewall? i had some trouble getting the clamshell back together until i realized that the rear slides together the front snaps. But i am having a bear of a time getting the rear clip on the clamshell. Any tricks?

------------------

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2021 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The black side hooks in while the grey side clips in.
You have to put it in cockeyed to get the black side to hook, then rotate it into the correct orientation to get the grey side to clip in. Then you can install the retainer.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2021 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Will. Much obliged
jon

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock