Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  1” Heavy Duty Swaybar from Fiero Store: good upgrade?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
1” Heavy Duty Swaybar from Fiero Store: good upgrade? by ragoldsmith
Started on: 01-06-2021 10:46 PM
Replies: 10 (348 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 01-08-2021 10:15 AM
ragoldsmith

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2021 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragoldsmithSend a Private Message to ragoldsmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’m going to be rebuilding my [edit: FRONT] suspension in the next month or so. Does anyone have experience with the 1” heavy duty swaybar from the Fiero store (edit: for the for the suspension)? Is this a worthwhile upgrade? I’m going to be swapping in a 3800sc with an 88 cradle and rear sway bar next winter, in case that makes a difference.

Fiero Store swaybar

[This message has been edited by ragoldsmith (edited 01-06-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2021 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick reminder that an aftermarket '84-'87 rear swaybar will not fit an '88 cradle.

[EDIT] Never mind... I now realize you're referring to the front swaybar.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-06-2021).]

ragoldsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2021 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragoldsmithSend a Private Message to ragoldsmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Just a quick reminder that an aftermarket '84-'87 rear swaybar will not fit an '88 cradle.

[EDIT] Never mind... I now realize you're referring to the front swaybar.

Yep, but if I wasn’t I appreciate the warning! I edited my post to make it more clear. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by ragoldsmith (edited 01-06-2021).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2021 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero had a similar setup: Addco 1" sway bar in front, '88 cradle and suspension (with stock sway bar and urethane bushings) in back. It was pretty flat in the turns, made the car feel very confident.
ragoldsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2021 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ragoldsmithSend a Private Message to ragoldsmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After the responses here and from Facebook, I went ahead and purchased the 1” sway bar. Would it be worth mounting one on the rear temporarily for a year?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2021 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ragoldsmith:

Would it be worth mounting one on the rear temporarily for a year?

Are you planning to autocross within the next year? If so, sure. If not, IMO it wouldn't be worth the trouble of installing a rear swaybar since you'll be swapping the pre-'88 cradle/rear suspension out next winter for the '88.

Having said that, I don't think it would be a very good idea to install the heavy duty front swaybar with no sway bar in the back. If I was in your position, I'd just leave the front suspension alone until you do the cradle swap (which of course includes a rear swaybar.).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-07-2021).]

SteveMushynsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2021 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteveMushynskySend a Private Message to SteveMushynskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ragoldsmith:
After the responses here and from Facebook, I went ahead and purchased the 1” sway bar. Would it be worth mounting one on the rear temporarily for a year?

This page describes how you can reinstall your Fiero's original front anti-sway bar as a rear anti-sway bar:
https://fierozone.tripod.co...d/swaybar/index.html

ragoldsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2021 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ragoldsmithSend a Private Message to ragoldsmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SteveMushynsky:

This page describes how you can reinstall your Fiero's original front anti-sway bar as a rear anti-sway bar:
https://fierozone.tripod.co...d/swaybar/index.html

This is great, thanks. Seems simple enough, especially since my car will already be up on blocks.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2021 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 front bar can be used on the pre-88 front suspension.

The front cross member braces need to be modified to accomplish the changeover.
msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2021 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A stiffer front bar without a corresponding rear one on a pre88 fiero will increase understeer.

Select springs for suspension frequency first, then shock dampen ratio to handle spring rates, then sway bars to fine tune.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2021 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On one 87 Fiero I added the Fiero Store rear sway bar that I believe is the original Herb Adams design. I retained the OEM front bar. It made a huge difference in handling. The bump steer was gone and the car took the curves better.
On my 87GT 3800, I added the larger Adcco rear sway bar to the rear and ended up with severe oversteer. I then replaced the front bar with the Addco front sway bar and the handling is now great.
Case in point; the Adcco bars must be used in pairs but the Fiero Store bar can be used solo.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock