Gas tank pinhole by skywurz
Started on: 12-26-2020 05:14 PM
Replies: 10 (357 views)
Last post by: ragoldsmith on 12-27-2020 09:20 PM
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2020 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So actually the gas tank is missing out of my 88 GT project... Some how i didn't notice.

I have an extra 88 tank sitting in the corner. But im 95% sure it has a pinhole leak in the center rear right on the bottom. I have tons of options and thought id ask and see what you all think

1. I could try a repair such as this

2. I could drill it out and add a plug like this [url=https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1380][/url]

3. I could use the not leaking 85 gas tank thats sitting right next to it and lose out on the 1gal extra capacity.

4. I could try to source another 87/88 tank.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wwcvel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2020 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wwcvelSend a Private Message to wwcvelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a radiator shop nearby? I’d let them clean the tank (to remove the rust that caused the pinhole) and plug it.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2020 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The guy doing the tank repair in the video gets the job done, but I would always blow exhaust gas into the tank when welding or soldering a gas tank. The object is to get enough Oxygen out so that the inside residual fumes are not combustible.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2020 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So after posting i decided id go look at the tank closer.

Opened it up and saw lots of cheeto goo

I decided to take a blunt object and poke at some of the rust spots.

10 holes opened up and happily leak.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2020 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to say this, but if RUST caused that hole- How bad is the rest of the tank? Might be better to find a replacement; Either one from a junked Fiero or possibly a newly manufactured replacement. I saw on the RD website that Rodney was looking at possibly making replacements.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2020 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i pulled this tank i pulled out of an 86 and put it next to this one... If i use the 86 front strap will it work in an 88? The only difference i really see is the tank seam is lower on the 88 and the bottom is deeper in the front.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 12-26-2020).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2020 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i decided to play around with this 88 tank as the nearest one i have located is 500 miles.

I cleaned up the front of the tank.

I drilled out all of the discolored possible pinholes

I took some copper pipe and flattened it out

I started trying to figure out how to solder non electronics

I figure ill do the rest and water test it and see if any of my patches are worth a darn.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2020 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have located that many holes that need repair, there must be many corroded spots that will soon turn into more holes. Keep looking for a replacement. Have you checked Car-part.com ?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2020 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patching is good but doing in video and above is way wrong. I've seen kids solder better then the video in top post.

With as many holes in a short space needs expert level repair or will fail sooner then later and likely on highway maybe burning down w/ little or no warning.
Even then If holes are near the plastic baffle then expect damage to the baffle.

Also if tank is Galvanize, you have Zinc poison dust/fumes to sand/grind solder or weld. Must do this outside and better you wearing a "hard" mask and P100 w/ Carbon filters.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2020 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well its done. As in trash. I tried my hand at soldering and i just suck at it. Probably running out of flux didn't help. Now to the search bar to look and see about putting a pre 87 tank in an 88 has been discussed.
ragoldsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2020 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragoldsmithSend a Private Message to ragoldsmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I hate to say this, but if RUST caused that hole- How bad is the rest of the tank? Might be better to find a replacement; Either one from a junked Fiero or possibly a newly manufactured replacement. I saw on the RD website that Rodney was looking at possibly making replacements.

Unfortunately Rodney said he will probably not be making them as the tooling costs would be about $40,000.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock