Ignition switch wires. by Chief08
Started on: 12-10-2020 02:12 PM
Replies: 6 (329 views)
Last post by: Chief08 on 12-12-2020 01:18 PM
Chief08

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2020 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,
I'm working on installing a keyless entry with push button start. One of the things I need to do is cut the red wire from the ignition switch to the battery, however there are two red wires. One comes out of the blue connector and one comes out of the black connector, I'm not sure which on to cut. Here is a pic of the instructions.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rick Vanderpool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2020 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1988 factory service manual and it shows both red wires coming from the same source and connected together inside the switch. I can only surmise it is for redundancy.
Rick
Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2020 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick Vanderpool:

I have a 1988 factory service manual and it shows both red wires coming from the same source and connected together inside the switch. I can only surmise it is for redundancy.
Rick

You may be right, the manual is a bit unclear..

Rick Vanderpool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2020 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you look at page 202-12 you'll see the 2 ignition switch plugs. B2 is in the blue 1 and B3 is in the black 1. Both red wires come from S206 and are connected together inside the switch.
Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2020 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick Vanderpool:

if you look at page 202-12 you'll see the 2 ignition switch plugs. B2 is in the blue 1 and B3 is in the black 1. Both red wires come from S206 and are connected together inside the switch.

Thanks for pointing that out. I still don't know which one to cut though.
Rexgirl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2020 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are two red power wires because the Pontiac ignition switch apparently provides a LOT of current to the Fiero's components. My guess is that the iKey is low current and designed for new cars that have relays for high current needs. Your new iKey Module must be able to handle the same current flow (25 plus amps?.. total guess) as the Fiero's ignition switch. If it can, cut both red wires and connect their battery side to your big red iKey wire. If not, you will need relays.
Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2020 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rexgirl:

There are two red power wires because the Pontiac ignition switch apparently provides a LOT of current to the Fiero's components. My guess is that the iKey is low current and designed for new cars that have relays for high current needs. Your new iKey Module must be able to handle the same current flow (25 plus amps?.. total guess) as the Fiero's ignition switch. If it can, cut both red wires and connect their battery side to your big red iKey wire. If not, you will need relays.

The I key module requires two positive and two negative wires to be connected directly to the battery, and it can handle the current. I cut both red wires, so we'll see how that works out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock