Parts necessary to swap bumper pad front end onto GT by dremu
Started on: 09-15-2020 01:10 AM
Replies: 8 (317 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 03-21-2021 02:30 PM
dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2020 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As subject, what would one need to put a bumper pad style front end

(thank you to whatever member I stole that from )

onto a GT. Obviously I'd need the bumper fascia proper and the trim across the front, and presumably the reflectors and such inside the bumper. Are the supports or whatever metal underneath different than for the GT bumper?

I've been searching but haven't found anything absolute.

-- A
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Chris Eddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2020 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris EddySend a Private Message to Chris EddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The molded trim is different, the bottom molded trim is different, and the crumple crate is different. If you succeeded, the front would not match the rest of the body work.
What is the purpose?
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2020 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bumper pad GT, I think it looks great! Can you give use a pic of the rear of the car?

Jack
Egor

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2020 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EgorSend a Private Message to EgorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I've seen this done before, but I don't remember where or when.

I believe it makes the care look more Lotus like.
Please post a lot of pictures if you decide to do this.

Egor

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2020 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In addition... the wheel well liners and the air dam assembly will be different.
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you to the many folks who replied. For folks changing noses in either direction, here's a bunch of detail I found by doing it. As always, it's easiest if you have the donor vehicle there next to yours, or else you end up making multiple trips to the parts source. AMHIK

First, two kilowords: (a picture being worth a thousand words, you know)

Parts that are different:

The fascia itself (16 in the pix above)
Air dam (14)
Wheelwell liners (4)
Curved metal side brackets (11, 15)
Flat metal bracket, center (12)
Plastic/rubber radiator surrounds (25, 20)
Underside grille (13 on second pic, only on bumper pad nose)

Also, the GT has spacers for the front turn-markers, which I didn't find in the parts book.

See highlight, pay no attention to the illegal and dangerous LED bulbs.

Parts that may change:

Logo (47) [can be swapped, requires drilling new hole]
Turn signal / marker lights (8).

As mentioned, the bumper pad style nose has the grooved trim molded into it:

versus the GT which has rounded trim. One solution is to swap the side trim, which is removable, to match. That's a metric boat-ton of work. I chose a different path, namely to 3D print inserts to slot into the grooves and match the GT style:

Used the longer ones on the straight edges, and then the shorter ones around the corners. This is further complicated because the trim isn't the same height; the sides are like 1/4" taller than the front and center. OTOH, 3D printing is made for this; you plug in the numbers and say "print me (x) copies at (y) height" and away it goes.

Careful cleaning and an epoxy for plastic later, the inserts attached nicely to the bumper.

Then sand the junctions smooth and apply a flexible filler ( https://www.u-pol.com/us/en...ecialty-fillers/7061 ), and the lather-rinse-repeat of sand and primer, and we get

One other item of note is that the GT aero nose has a longer side marker than the bumper pad style, which has trim molded in aft of the marker.

I could have glued in more printed inserts here, but then I'd have to cut down the side markers, which is kinda hack. Instead, I glued in a piece of 1/8" ABS stock, and carefully ground off the grooved trim. This is a crappy pic partway through that grinding:

Then during the test-fit phase, drilled and Dremeled the required holes for mounting and the marker light screws to pass through. Now I can use the stock round GT side markers.

And finally, much lather-rinse-repeat (literally, in the case of wet-sanding), we end up with

Why do it? I like the looks. The aero nose always struck me as too Gerard Depardieu, too Inspector Closeau, and this looks like a Lotus or an early Datsun Z. Plus the serious Fiero nerds will look at it and say "Whaaaaaaaa...?" (Look up in the sky! Is it a GT? Is it an SE? It's ... Confuse-A-Fiero!)

I think I'll do the rear too, which is thankfully simpler (just fascia and wheel wells.) Haven't yet decided what to do with the ground effects (leave alone? remove? repaint?) but this is the joy of Fieros: they're cheap and fun to play with.

-- A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 03-20-2021).]

skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bravo! Excellent show!

This turned out really well. I like the look, but I don't think i will be doing this to my GT I have yet to learn that level of wet sanding patience.
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

Bravo! Excellent show!

This turned out really well. I like the look, but I don't think i will be doing this to my GT I have yet to learn that level of wet sanding patience.

Thanks!

But, ugh, don't remind me. there isn't a flat surface on the bumper, all curved, so any kind of power sanding just fscked it up and has to be done by hand. I've had my wrist on an ice pack all week. This being old thing is for the birds.

-- A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 03-20-2021).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Extremely well done! Can you do more of that rub-strip add-on? Although my 85 SE w/86-87 GT rear quarters has a 87-88 base car nose, I have the bumper pad rear- which has the ribbed rub-strip....

(Note; I tried to have a BBQ with ribs hoping the ribs on the car would be scooped up- but no luck!)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock