Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  The suspension mystery continues, and I don't know where to go from here. (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The suspension mystery continues, and I don't know where to go from here. by Threedog
Started on: 08-01-2020 05:09 PM
Replies: 59 (1207 views)
Last post by: Threedog on 08-26-2020 11:47 AM
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wheels are absolutely moving in and out. It’s bouncing back and forth..

The cradle is in perfect shape, it just got powdercoated(didn’t have rust at all before). We removed the deck lid before driving, the brand new poly mounts on the 3800 mounts are making sure that the engine isn’t moving at all..
IP: Logged
cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking at the video. The reaction is too slow per tire rotation to be axle. Looked like you had toe in on acceleration then toe out when you let up/shift.
If you don't have any obvious worn parts, look at rear lower control arm bushings too soft. Rear tie rod ends should be checked at ride height. On a set of turn plates. Or tire on trash bag works well too. Real easy to miss. Also without a good quality ratchet wrench, getting the exhaust out of the way, or having the subframe down, it is hard to make sure the inner tie rod mounts are tightened right.
Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmechmann:

Looking at the video. The reaction is too slow per tire rotation to be axle. Looked like you had toe in on acceleration then toe out when you let up/shift.
If you don't have any obvious worn parts, look at rear lower control arm bushings too soft. Rear tie rod ends should be checked at ride height. On a set of turn plates. Or tire on trash bag works well too. Real easy to miss. Also without a good quality ratchet wrench, getting the exhaust out of the way, or having the subframe down, it is hard to make sure the inner tie rod mounts are tightened right.

I think you are dead on about the toe issue.

The cradle mounts and a arm mounts are poly and brand new. The rear tie rods are new from Rodney Dickman and I followed all of his instructions on their install (including the funky washers you have to bend).

The wheels are straight and the rods were tightened with all four wheels on the ground.

However, this is what it looks like in the air...
Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Threedog

1282 posts
Member since Jun 2013
This is what it looks like on the ground
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's 100% wrong. Any way you can stick your cell phone in the right rear wheel well and snap a few photos like this:

I'd like to see the arm position as well as the tie rod position. There's definitely an angle problem as if some parts have been installed incorrectly. Also let us know if you take the photo with the car in the air or on the ground.

Edit to add.......I just jacked my 87 in the air and the wheels are almost perfectly aligned. Something is definitely wrong with your rear suspension.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-15-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

That's 100% wrong.

I just jacked my 87 in the air and the wheels are almost perfectly aligned. Something is definitely wrong with your rear suspension.

I agree. I've jacked the rear end up on a lot of different Fieros, and have never noticed the toe in/out changing to that extreme degree.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-15-2020).]

Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, the car is slightly lowered (an inch about) if that matters.

I won’t be back home till Monday evening so I’ll take a picture then.

That being said, I have replaced a few rear tie rods and messed with the back suspension before and nothing seems out of place, but we will see on Monday when I can take more pictures.

Part of me is wondering if I reversed the a arms or something when I put it back together...

cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to clear one thing up. What I trying to explain, was those tie rod ends should be checked for play/wear at normal right height, I have had those type inner tie rod ends not show movement when the suspension is hanging unloaded. Only to show movement when at normal height.
Your issue is much worse than a worn part.
Yes reversed control arms could cause this. But I thought they were fairly symmetrical. Look to see if the stop bracket on the control arms match up to the stops on the spindles. If I remember to, I'll look under mine tomorrow.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:

Part of me is wondering if I reversed the a arms or something when I put it back together...

I was wondering the same. If I remember, the arms have either a L,R or LH,RH stamped on them.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2020 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I was wondering the same. If I remember, the arms have either a L,R or LH,RH stamped on them.

Yes, Also there's a tab at he end. The longer ear goes towards the rear I believe (picture stolen from another thread).

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 08-16-2020).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2020 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am pretty sure the issue is with the rear tierods. They are either:

1. Mounted on the bottom side of the steering arm (it should be on top) - would have required modifying the taper, but I have seen stranger things happen.
2. The tierod has been modified to be shorter (mounting location on the cradle moved or spacer block added - both have been done before).
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2020 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I am pretty sure the issue is with the rear tierods. They are either:

1. Mounted on the bottom side of the steering arm (it should be on top) - would have required modifying the taper, but I have seen stranger things happen.
2. The tierod has been modified to be shorter (mounting location on the cradle moved or spacer block added - both have been done before).

I agree. He said this happened after an alignment at a shop so it wouldn't surprise me if they put the rod ends on the bottom vs. the top.

I lightened up his image in Photoshop vs my car up off the ground and you can tell the rod end is lower on his car. His is at the center of the wheel which would indicate the rod end is at the bottom of the spindle. Mine is above the center of the wheel which you can see is mounted correctly.

His car:

My car jacked off the dolly:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-16-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2020 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am pretty sure the issue is with the rear tierods.

Mounted on the bottom side of the steering arm (it should be on top) - would have required modifying the taper, but I have seen stranger things happen.

With the tierod mounted from the bottom, wouldn't it be awfully difficult to tighten the nut, as the taper wouldn't be holding the pin tightly... but I guess that's the "modifying the taper" you're referring to!

Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2020 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, thank you everyone for your help.

It came down to something simple, I am a complete and utter idiot.

The tie rods were on upside down in the back..in my defense, they fit right in..

This is the third time I have rebuilt the back suspension of a pre 88 Fiero, but I had never left so much time inbetween replacing parts...more pictures next time I guess!
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2020 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should probably run a reamer through the steering arms to remove any distortion in the taper cause by installing them backwards.
Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2020 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You should probably run a reamer through the steering arms to remove any distortion in the taper cause by installing them backwards.

Will do! But wouldn’t that make it bigger?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2020 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The tie rods were on upside down in the back..in my defense, they fit right in..

Wow man! I'm happy that the mystery is solved.
Looking at your pics (I still can't get to the video) that was going to be my guess too, but everyone beat me to it.

You're lucky you didn't crash.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2020 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will do! But wouldn’t that make it bigger?

If should only be used to remove the material that is deformed into the tapered section. You don't want to enlarge the majority of the hole.
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2020 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, thank you everyone for your help.

It came down to something simple, I am a complete and utter idiot.

This is the third time I have rebuilt the back suspension of a pre 88 Fiero, but I had never left so much time inbetween replacing parts...more pictures next time I guess!

I am glad you found ths problem. I hope there was no damage to the knuckles.
Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2020 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Wow man! I'm happy that the mystery is solved.
Looking at your pics (I still can't get to the video) that was going to be my guess too, but everyone beat me to it.

You're lucky you didn't crash.

It did help that I never went over 20 mph!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock