Motor mounts and drama by turbojamie
Started on: 07-28-2020 10:09 AM
Replies: 13 (321 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 08-04-2020 05:49 PM
turbojamie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbojamieSend a Private Message to turbojamieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I believe this is my first post here, if im in the wrong area please move. I have a 86 gt v6 auto. I picked it up about 6 months ago. Been a decent project so far. I went to chage the mounts removing them whet pretty smooth even taking out the rear transmission mount. I did replace them one at at time but left them loose to give me plenty of wiggle room. I installed the new ones seemed to be pretty straight forward. I saved the rear transmission mount for last since it seemed to be the biggest pain. Well I get it in I lower the car I Notice the engine is way to far over to the passenger side and way to far forward now. Ive tried to jack it up wiggle and man handle it. Not really getting anywhere. I removed all the mounts one at a time thinking maybe one was binding somewhere didn't seem to help. Im jacking it up from the oil pan. Do I need to be lifting it from the top of the engine?? Not sure where I screwed up or did wrong. Thank you in advance for any help anyone can be. Or if anyone is in the Charlotte NC area im willing to pay you for you help and extra set of hands if you wanna help out.
Jamie
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure how you can get some of the mounts in and the engine be misaligned? Am I reading this wrong? I do not like jacking any motor up by the oil pan, others do it just fine. I would use a cherry picker just to hold the motor up while changing the mounts.

Your old mounts could have been really bad so the new ones have put the motor in a different spot. Did you take any pictures?

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 07-28-2020).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the engine mount has offset bolts on it....Could you have installed it the wrong way?
turbojamie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbojamieSend a Private Message to turbojamieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

Not sure how you can get some of the mounts in and the engine be misaligned? Am I reading this wrong? I do not like jacking any motor up by the oil pan, others do it just fine. I would use a cherry picker just to hold the motor up while changing the mounts.

Your old mounts could have been really bad so the new ones have put the motor in a different spot. Did you take any pictures?

Yes I agree, I have no idea how I pulled that off. I never seen such craziness in my life. No you not reading it wrong. I thought the same thing when I dropped it back down after I had all of them in but not tight. I was like WTF
turbojamie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbojamieSend a Private Message to turbojamieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

turbojamie

11 posts
Member since May 2020

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I believe the engine mount has offset bolts on it....Could you have installed it the wrong way?

Well I wondered that myself, yes they are off set but still will only on in one way.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Above is possible...
Look at the dogbone(s)... Both mounts Should be same vertically so bone is straight.

What ever reasons, Watch the inner CV for both axles.
If you relocate the trans to much then 1 axle will be compressed too much and likely break it. Other axle is Stretched the inner and can rip the axle apart there.
both axles inner boots should look same assuming same type of boots. OE ones are same type but if one axle as be replace then CV boots might by different types and harder to guess.

Don't even try to drive w/ F'ed up axles w/ inner CV compress or stretch. Might drive out of garage/driveway and blow an axle first you turn or hit a hole.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

turbojamie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbojamieSend a Private Message to turbojamieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Above is possible...
Look at the dogbone(s)... Both mounts Should be same vertically so bone is straight.

What ever reasons, Watch the inner CV for both axles.
If you relocate the trans to much then 1 axle will be compressed too much and likely break it. Other axle is Stretched the inner and can rip the axle apart there.
both axles inner boots should look same assuming same type of boots. OE ones are same type but if one axle as be replace then CV boots might by different types and harder to guess.

Don't even try to drive w/ F'ed up axles w/ inner CV compress or stretch. Might drive out of garage/driveway and blow an axle first you turn or hit a hole.

The dog bone side that attaches to the car I have undone, yea since the engine is slide over to the passenger side it is not lined up, im off maybe like 2 inches and the engine is sitting more toward the back glass firewall area of the car, so in other words its over and up to far.

[This message has been edited by turbojamie (edited 07-28-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a problem but no clue exactly what.
Some mounts can be installed "backwards" causing problems.
Some cradles have multiple slots for trans mounts and maybe use wrong ones.
Maybe have wrong mounts. Box may have right PN but wrong part inside.
turbojamie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbojamieSend a Private Message to turbojamieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

You have a problem but no clue exactly what.
Some mounts can be installed "backwards" causing problems.
Some cradles have multiple slots for trans mounts and maybe use wrong ones.
Maybe have wrong mounts. Box may have right PN but wrong part inside.

Im almost positive there all in correctly, I will triple check
I remember seeing one set of holes for the mounts to go in I will check again, you never know upside down on a dark car
The mounts that came out of the box bascailly looked like new versions of the old ones that came out
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the automatic your mounts should look like this picture, and you could have them in either the red arrow pair or orange arrow pair, then it could be to the far right or far left.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

turbojamie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbojamieSend a Private Message to turbojamieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

For the automatic your mounts should look like this picture, and you could have them in either the red arrow pair or orange arrow pair, then it could be to the far right or far left.

Yes sir, my mounts looks just like that. Ill look again but I only remember seeing 2 slotted holes for my rear mout but I will check it out again. Thank you for the pic. When you on you back and its dark and dirty im sure I could have missed it
PFF
System Bot
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2020 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, you said the issue is on the front side, so it has to be the orange/red pairs. There is only one set of slotted holes in the rear of the cradle (I put blue arrows).

1) if you get under there with a flash light, you might see the old circles from the nuts being tighten against the cradle.
2) i think mine are in the red slots. i think when i put them in the orange slots it twisted it in like you are describing.
3) since those holes are slotted, you could have the rear slots pushed to the far left and the front slots pushed to the far left (or in the wrong set of slots), which would make it twist the motor mount too.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 07-29-2020).]

turbojamie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2020 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbojamieSend a Private Message to turbojamieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well to anyone wondering how this played out, I finally figured it out. What happend was the drivers side cv axle at the uinversal had popped out inside the boot and basically binding everything up pushing it over to the right hand side. Took me for ever to figure out. But at least i got it fixed. Now just waiting on a cv axle to arrive lol. Thanks for all the tips everyone gave!!!!! I do appreciate everyone's time
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2020 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So often the problem is somewhere that you least expected and seemingly un-related to what we are (Originally) dealing with...

Always be prepared for the difficult problems.......(French dictionary & Sledge hammer) (I can FIX anything!)

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 08-04-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock