Removing Adhesive Residue (?) on Rear Fascia by gjgpff
Started on: 07-18-2020 01:24 AM
Replies: 14 (411 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 07-20-2020 01:20 AM
gjgpff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2020 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gjgpffSend a Private Message to gjgpffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the "PONTIAC" emblem for the rear of my car from The Fiero Store. I was able to knock off most of the old "PONTIAC" emblem with a plastic spatula, and some careful razor blade work. However, I'm left with this yellowish glue residue (at least I think it is a residue):

The emblem seems to have an adhesive backing, but before I install it,I'd like to clean up as much of the residue as possible. Can anyone recommend something to clean it off? I was considering baking soda, or mineral spirits, though those might be harsh.

I just want to make sure that the adhesive on the new emblem sticks.

Thanks, in advance,

[This message has been edited by gjgpff (edited 07-18-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2020 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We use 3M adhesive remover to clean off the old adhesive residue. Works great but sometimes requires a couple of applications. The best part is that will not harm the paint.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-18-2020).]

1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2020 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could also try Goof off or WD40 on the area.
gjgpff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2020 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gjgpffSend a Private Message to gjgpffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got some 3M Advanced Adhesive Remover at Autozone for $15.99. I'm waiting til this evening to avoid applying in full sunlight, the instructions seem to suggest that you may need to keep the surface wet for several minutes with reapplications in order to have the full effect. I'll post pics.

Goof Off and WD-40 have already been tried. The Goof Off did get some of the residue off, the WD-40 was tried afterwards didn't appear to have any effect. Neither did the Baking Soda toothpaste!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2020 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gjgpff:

I got the "PONTIAC" emblem for the rear of my car from The Fiero Store.

I think you'll find that the "chrome" on the face of that PONTIAC emblem will be coming off easier than the residue you're trying to remove. That was my experience with this Fiero Store emblem anyway. Had to repaint the letters with silver paint within two years.

gjgpff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2020 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gjgpffSend a Private Message to gjgpffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I think you'll find that the "chrome" on the face of that PONTIAC emblem will be coming off easier than the residue you're trying to remove. That was my experience with this Fiero Store emblem anyway. Had to repaint the letters with silver paint within two years.

Don't say that! Yeah, aftermarket emblems almost never hold up. I suspect the quarter panel Pontiac arrowhead emblems will also fail/fade fairly quickly. Anyways, regardless of how the adhesive remover works, I'm sticking the damn embem on tonight!

gjgpff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2020 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gjgpffSend a Private Message to gjgpffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I went at it with the 3M Adhesive remover for about an hour this evening, with no obvious improvement. It may be that, after 32 years, the fascia is discolored by the adhesive, and this kind of thing is most visible on white cars. Hard to know. Anyway, here's what it looked like after an hour of spraying and wiping, including a 10 minute period of just keeping the area wet with the remover, per the instructions. Given that the discoloration is completely hidden by the new emblem, this is just academic. Here's what it looked like after an hour, hardly different from before, if at all:

Here's what I used along with the new, destined to fade too soon, emblem:

Patrick, did the silver painting last a lot longer? I hope so. Did you have a specific technique to it?

[This message has been edited by gjgpff (edited 07-19-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2020 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gjgpff:

Patrick, did the silver painting last a lot longer? I hope so. Did you have a specific technique to it?

When the "chrome" disappeared within two years (and the emblem became completely black), I used a relatively small brush and painted the top "face" of each letter by hand, probably a couple of coats. I'll double-check tomorrow as to the paint I used, but it was the same stuff I used to paint the rockers silver (using a roller) on my Formula. I'd say it's been on there 4-5 years now, and it's held up very well.

[EDIT] This is what I used... Armor Coat Rust Paint, Aluminum color. No primer required. Yes, I know it's marketed as for use on metal, but I've used on plastic rockers and body panels... and emblems... and it works great. If you don't have this brand where you are, other "rust" paints would probably work as well.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-19-2020).]

RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2020 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"GooGone" worked for me.
R
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2020 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to save the chrome for as long as possible, you could have sprayed it with a urethane clearcoat. And I don't mean standard spray paint can. Spraymax makes a true, 2 part spray paint style clearcoat. Once activated, you have 24 hours to spray it or it hardens in the can. Or, if you have an airbrush, you could do the same with automotive clearcoat.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-19-2020).]

Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2020 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For future reference:

https://youtu.be/todci9Eyd_A
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2020 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

If you want to save the chrome for as long as possible, you could have sprayed it with a urethane clearcoat. And I don't mean standard spray paint can. Spraymax makes a true, 2 part spray paint style clearcoat. Once activated, you have 24 hours to spray it or it hardens in the can. Or, if you have an airbrush, you could do the same with automotive clearcoat.

Damn, that's a lot of trouble for small emblem! And to be honest, I would've thought this should've been done to the emblems at the place of manufacture.

Originally posted by Steel:

For future reference:

Now that's pretty slick. Informative video!

By the way... it's pronounced deck-el, not DEE-cal.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-19-2020).]

gjgpff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2020 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gjgpffSend a Private Message to gjgpffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah, progress is always too late for some. I will give the Pontiac arrows on the rear sail panels the clearcoat treatment though, so I'll save in the long run!
This is really great information, I hope it saves other poor Fiero owners!
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2020 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Now that's pretty slick. Informative video!

By the way... it's pronounced deck-el, not DEE-cal.

Hehe.. not my video, however, I do pronounce it dee-cal.

https://dictionary.cambridg...iation/english/decal
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2020 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

How to pronounce decal

Well, that site was useless. Where was the Canadian pronunciation?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock