Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Rebuilding headlight motor, it's binding on reassembly...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Rebuilding headlight motor, it's binding on reassembly... by David Riedle
Started on: 06-30-2020 08:48 PM
Replies: 3 (117 views)
Last post by: David Riedle on 07-01-2020 04:27 PM
David Riedle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2020 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David RiedleSend a Private Message to David RiedleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Of course, the passenger-side headlamp motor went bad on my Indy. I ordered a new aluminum gear and installed it. Everything went well, but when I went to reassemble everything, the motor binds. Gears work fine and everything is in the correct place. I determined that the magnet is coming into contact with the rotor. I found that the magnet floats and I believe that when I put everything together and screw both sides together, it should go correctly in place.

Unfortunately, that appears to be incorrect.

I even removed the gears, and just bolted the sides together. No joy...

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2020 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Riedle:

Of course, the passenger-side headlamp motor went bad on my Indy. I ordered a new aluminum gear and installed it. Everything went well, but when I went to reassemble everything, the motor binds. Gears work fine and everything is in the correct place. I determined that the magnet is coming into contact with the rotor. I found that the magnet floats and I believe that when I put everything together and screw both sides together, it should go correctly in place.

Unfortunately, that appears to be incorrect.

I even removed the gears, and just bolted the sides together. No joy...

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Contact Charlie Sewell (Fierofool on PFF) and he may be able to help since he rebuilds the headlight motor assemblies.

Nelson
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2020 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you replace the magnet (stator) assembly back in the case exactly as it was removed? When you put the two case halves back together , did you make sure that the rubber bumper insert at the top was back in its place in the housing? Are the rubber inserts in the gear positioned properly?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

David Riedle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2020 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David RiedleSend a Private Message to David RiedleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis:

Did not remove the magnet at all. I made certain to mark it so that the I even oriented it in the housing the way that it was removed.

I am going to take everything apart this evening and check the inside of the magnet. Maybe something small and steel got in there?

Dave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock