Dropping Your Tank? Try This to Get Out The Sh...er...Crud by Warlordsix
Started on: 06-28-2020 11:29 PM
Replies: 7 (257 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 06-29-2020 07:25 PM
Warlordsix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2020 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So my fuel pump died, and I had 7 gallons still in the tank. I knew dropping the tank would be no problem, but I had no intent to muscle 7 gallons back up and into position, even with a jack. The neighbor says, "Hey, use my battery-powered pump to suck out that fuel after you have the tank on the ground." Holy cow, it worked great. Best of all if sucked out almost all of the crap that had accumulated along the bottom of the tank. The basic process was to slosh the fuel back and forth, stick the pump in and velcro a folded-over paper towel to the outlet (to catch all the crap). Took a while, but it worked well. Flushed it a couple of times with a fresh gallon of gas and repeated. Then I finished up with a telescoping magnet extended along the inside bottom of the tank to pick up the remaining rust that did not get sucked up. Only thing I didn't do was end by filling the tank with phosphoric acid like is frequently done with motorcycle gas tanks. That stuff works like a charm. If I ever drop the tank again I'll consider that, but for now using the battery-powered pump and the magnets worked well.

------------------
'87 Fiero 4.9 5-speed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Warlordsix:

Only thing I didn't do was end by filling the tank with phosphoric acid like is frequently done with motorcycle gas tanks.

And then what? Having never used phosphoric acid, I'd be leery of introducing gasoline to it!

V8Steve

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 06:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8SteveClick Here to visit V8Steve's HomePageSend a Private Message to V8SteveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one of those pumps and it works great. I use it to move kerosene from a 5 gallon can to a heater.

------------------
88GT 355 CI Sequential Holley Multiport , AFR milled 180, Dyno'd at 427 HP, 320 WHP
anderson@gdsconsulting.com

Warlordsix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

And then what? Having never used phosphoric acid, I'd be leery of introducing gasoline to it!

Phosphoric acid has been used for decades to remove rust and replace it with a phosphated surface that is subsequently very rust resistant. I've de-rusted at least a dozen gas tanks on vintage motorcycles with it. It is a very standard technique in the vintage bike community. Cap off all outlets on the tank, fill it with phosphoric acid (Ospho brand, or Jasco brand for example, at Lowes/Home Depot...where it is sold as rust remover and metal prep), let it sit for 24-36 hours and dump it out. You will be surprised at how bright and shiny the inside of the tank has become. Let it air dry and then fill with gas and enjoy a rust-free tank after that.

------------------
'87 Fiero 4.9 5-speed

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
⚠️ Warning: Run the pump Outside w/ a lot of air moving.

That pump is mainly made for non HAZMAT and maybe fuels like Diesel and K1 that's won't explode easy.

Gas fumes in/near tank can get in Stoich range (~ 14.7:1) and burn or explode.
You want the space if the tank light up but if you have a lot of air moving the fumes should be to lean to burn.

Plus many garages has Water Heaters, electric whatever turn on/off automatically. etc that fumes can finds.

Or just raise tank up and use any siphon but still need to do this Outside w/ plenty of air.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Warlordsix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roger. Good advice, Ogre, and should apply even though this pump IS rated for gasoline.

Ernie

------------------
'87 Fiero 4.9 5-speed

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I won't trust DIY and cheap transfer pumps even rated for gas.
Your releasing a lot of fumes if nothing else that follow the ground/floor.

Watch out for static buildup. If not on the ground or grounding surfaces... Same reason most to every stations have warnings to put portables on ground.
Worse in dry weather. Example: Many think truck beds are metal but many have bed liners that's insulating metal and plastic gas cans.

Station pumps have a ground wire in the hose but still can have problems cause fire or worse filling legal portables in/on truck beds etc. (Worse fools pull out active nozzle and gas goes everywhere in a fire.)
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Warlordsix:

fill it with phosphoric acid, let it sit for 24-36 hours and dump it out. Let it air dry and then fill with gas...

Great, thanks for the info. I just didn't know what was required (if anything) to get all the phosphoric acid out of the tank.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock