Throttle Position Sensor Test by Brent7088
Started on: 06-13-2020 10:44 PM
Replies: 5 (973 views)
Last post by: Sanhino on 06-19-2020 11:15 AM
Brent7088

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2020 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brent7088Send a Private Message to Brent7088Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently purchased a new TPS due to high/low acceleration at startup (levels off about 10 minutes later still too high). I installed it and decided to test it out.

Using a multimeter with the ignition turned (engine off), I placed the red lead on the grey wire and the black lead on ground and got 4.88V. Then placed the red lead on the blue wire and got a .07V (throttle closed) and 4.2V w/ throttle open. Are my readings very far off?

[This message has been edited by Brent7088 (edited 06-13-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2020 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brent7088

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2020 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brent7088Send a Private Message to Brent7088Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Patrick - yea I can see I'm going to have to bend that tab somehow since I'm reading too low with the throttle closed.
Sanhino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2020 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SanhinoSend a Private Message to SanhinoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brent7088:

Thanks Patrick - yea I can see I'm going to have to bend that tab somehow since I'm reading too low with the throttle closed.

Be sure to remove the TPS and hold on tight to the base of the arm. I had an older TPS that I tried to bend and it snapped off the sensor and had to get a new one. Just be careful if it's older since it could be brittle.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2020 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brent7088:

I can see I'm going to have to bend that tab somehow...

Originally posted by Sanhino:

I had an older TPS that I tried to bend and it snapped off the sensor...

One of the main reasons why I posted this particular video was because the fella clearly states to NOT bend that lever!

Do as he suggests and rotate the body of the TPS instead.
Sanhino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2020 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SanhinoSend a Private Message to SanhinoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

One of the main reasons why I posted this particular video was because the fella clearly states to NOT bend that lever!

Do as he suggests and rotate the body of the TPS instead.

I can't speak for OP but in my case I couldn't since the TPS wasn't slotted but only had the two holes. Thankfully my replacement is slotted and can be rotated if I needed to adjust it again.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock