Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Returning Fiero Owner - Let's Talk 2.8 Breathing (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Returning Fiero Owner - Let's Talk 2.8 Breathing by SpaceLion
Started on: 03-28-2020 02:08 PM
Replies: 132 (2821 views)
Last post by: BillS on 08-29-2020 01:51 PM
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2020 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by jjd2296 (edited 05-19-2020).]

IP: Logged
Modesto

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2020 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ModestoSend a Private Message to ModestoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was talking to a buddy who is pretty into 3D printing (and has printed various things for automotive applications) and he claimed that there was a readily available "automotive ABS" that could be used to print an intake and would easily stand up to the heat, vibration, fuel, etc. as it is the same material a lot of OEMs use for their intakes. He did mention it took a printer capable of higher temps but I found it intriguing...
rlndhill

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rlndhillSend a Private Message to rlndhillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

Are you planning on producing any to sale?
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No way! I would have to charge a thousand usd for each one to Make it worth while.

[This message has been edited by jjd2296 (edited 05-22-2020).]

Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RayOtton:

I have the ported exhaust, "Dawg Style" UIM, relieved y-pipe, hi-flow cat, Hypertech chip and a 57MM throttlebody. Basically all the breathing mods. Each one added a little to the performance but then I did the 1.6 rockers and WOW! what a difference.

I consider the rocker mod to be the one that brought all the pieces together, giving me a very nicely balanced car which also looks completely stock.

As for the RMP power limit, I can say unequivocally that the rockers made a huge difference. Where the stock car ran out of breath at about 4500RPM's, the modded car easily pulls all the way to 5500RPM's and there still some left but that's as far as I want to push a 30 year old engine even if it only has 60K miles on it. In fact, being an automatic I have to manually shift because the factory shift point is way too low for the modded engine.

As far as I am aware my engine is stock but it pulls super hard to 5500
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2020 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
K time for an update. I did lou_Dias mod (correction thanks fieroguru) on the middle intake as well as swapped my rockers to 1.6 rollers. That with my modded ppg style plenum and all the other work on my 3.4 ( ported heads sprint headers custom y pipe 260h cam bored TB tuned chip from sinister Etc etc) feels real good now. Fiero Gigi was right the modded middle intake let’s it breath all the way past 5500 rpm pulls through the whole power band now. A little torque lost on the bottom end for more top end speed feels great. Now I need to get it dyno’d. Mental number count from 0-60mph has me at low 5 seconds. Only need first and second gear to get there too

[This message has been edited by jjd2296 (edited 08-26-2020).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2020 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

K time for an update. I did fieroguru mod on the middle intake as well as swapped my rockers to 1.6 rollers. That with my modded ppg style plenum and all the other work on my 3.4 ( ported heads sprint headers custom y pipe 260h cam bored TB tuned chip from sinister Etc etc) feels real good now. Fiero Gigi was right the modded middle intake let’s it breath all the way past 5500 rpm pulls through the whole power band now. A little torque lost on the bottom end for more top end speed feels great. Now I need to get it dyno’d. Mental number count from 0-60mph has me at low 5 seconds. Only need first and second gear to get there too

The idea and video on the modification to the middle intake was from lou_dias. I just liked the video to share the info.

I haven't done anything with a 60 degree V6 in about 15 years.
Franked

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2020 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrankedSend a Private Message to FrankedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just read through this whole 4 pages today, because the car I just got has the stock 2.8, and I have been trying to figure a way to push the envelope without making the car look modified. I REALLY want to just put an LS4/F40 in the car (I am in CA, the land of the NOT Free) I thought a 3.4 would be the ticket, make it look stock, but to make real power, cheaply it seems newer 3400 heads and intake are the way to go. Could someone make that look Fiero Stock? (I am adding 2 links, the story about power from a 3.4, and the ebay add with the same kind of heads/intake Rails/injectors that made power bolted to a camaro 3.4.
The camaro story is a little bit of reading, but the guy sounds pretty happy with the results, if you don't have the smog police that I do, this could be the way to go. For some reason, I don't think it would be completely easy to put 96 EFI parts, OBD2(rails/injectors) on the old 85 Fiero 2.8 wiring, I don't know enough yet about them.
Frank

HAVING TROUBLE GETTING LINKS TO WORK.........Ahh, OK

[url=]https://www.camarov6.com/forum/technical/advanced-engine/66062-some-insight-into-the-3-4l-ohv-rwd-motor?t=64963[/url]

[This message has been edited by Franked (edited 08-26-2020).]

Franked

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2020 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrankedSend a Private Message to FrankedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Franked

51 posts
Member since Jun 2020
[url=]https://www.ebay.com/itm/96-02-GM-3400-3-4L-V6-Engine-Motor-Assembly-Video-Tested-OEM/164298974183?fits=Model%3AGrand+Am%7CMake%3APontiac&hash=item2640fb63e7:g:6rEAAOSwQVNfFeWW[/url]

[This message has been edited by Franked (edited 08-26-2020).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2020 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Franked:

HAVING TROUBLE GETTING LINKS TO WORK...

Newbs.

Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

96-02 GM 3400 3.4L V6 Engine / Motor Assembly Video Tested OEM
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2020 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

[/URL]

Franked, That's obsolete info, times have changed.
PFF
System Bot
Franked

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2020 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrankedSend a Private Message to FrankedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

Franked, That's obsolete info, times have changed.

Ok, my 85 car still has a 2.8 in it, a 3.4 will bolt right in and use the original stuff (smog guys would never know) I was thinking that the more modern aluminum heads and intake would look stock if someone milled off the 3.4, or somehow made it say fiero, maybe sacrifice the upper part that says "Fiero" and patch/weld that into the newer intake?
Making more than 200 up with a little V6 that bolts right in sounds pretty cool to me, if it can be made to look stock to fool the smog guys. This post was about the breathing on a V6, what better way than a top end swap?

Keep in mind these cars were built before most of the young smog tech guys/girls were born.

If this is all obsolete info, what is the new s**t? Remeber, boost or supercharger, or something obvious= NO SMOG FOR ME.

Trying to make WAY more power, without setting off the alarms, how do I do that? I am considering a" plug in" entire cradle to run a V8 and switch back to stock at smog time.
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2020 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you really want 'way more' power, you are looking at engine swaps or turbos. The cast iron heads have inbuilt limitations. A halfway point is going to the better breathing alloy heads but it isn't going to look the same.

How it performs is a matter of power to weight. I have 200 bhp hauling about 2100 lbs. in my rebodied MG and it runs about dead equal with an MGB with a tuned Rover V8 in it. Plenty for fun touring use. Yes, I did really think about sticking my turbo 3.2 (which was closing on 300 bhp) in it but that would have been overkill and the inherently inferior weight balance of a front engined car would limit adhesion on starts anyway.

The Original V6 is a flawed engine that many of us are fond of, but not that suitable for high output levels. Lots of modern engines are much better. If you want to stay GM powered, look at the Ecotecs. Here is a Cobalt SS with 600 bhp out of a 2.0.

I run a 2.0 ecotec with 375 bhp that returns 30 mpg in my street car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nafgt7slzl8
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock