Battery tray by creaky78
Started on: 02-06-2020 02:20 PM
Replies: 5 (405 views)
Last post by: creaky78 on 02-18-2020 03:32 PM
creaky78

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for creaky78Send a Private Message to creaky78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to replace the battery tray on my '87 GT. I have removed what was left of the old tray. The area under the tray is as expected somewhat rotted and rusted with a couple of small holes all of which I will be able to deal with. My question is this: At the quarter panel side of the tray area there is a triangular opening in the sheetmetal through which I can see two steel lines that are similar in looks to brake lines. One of them has a rust hole in it so it can't be a brake line because the brakes are working just fine. What are these lines? Thanks for any info.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is an expansion tank from the fuel tank. It is then routed back the fuel evap canister.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by creaky78:

At the quarter panel side of the tray area there is a triangular opening in the sheetmetal through which I can see two steel lines that are similar in looks to brake lines. One of them has a rust hole in it so it can't be a brake line because the brakes are working just fine. What are these lines?

You need to read This thread... and then repair that hole.

creaky78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for creaky78Send a Private Message to creaky78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks very much for the great info! I have been driving the car since getting it running a couple of months ago, have not smelled any gas vapor at all (olfactory problem? LOL) Anyway, since I am replacing the noisy water pump and all the coolant hoses this is a great time to repair the vapor lines and inspect the condition of the tank. Thanks again!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2020 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note: Aux tank has a small hole inside 1 tube can get blocked.
If lines are iffy check that tank lets air thru it.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

creaky78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2020 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for creaky78Send a Private Message to creaky78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it is fixed. I cut the rusted lines from the expansion tank at a point between the frame and engine where the lines were in good condition, no rust. I replaced the rubber connection lines on the tank with new ones, running them to the steel lines where I had cut them off. Before attaching the new lines, I put a little air pressure on one while holding my finger over the end of the other one and could hear no air escaping from the tank. Also checked the lines at the charcoal canister, couldn't find any leaks. Hopefully all OK, I'll find out when the car is back in running condition.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock