Notchback Quarter Window removal by Habanera Hal
Started on: 12-10-2019 11:19 AM
Replies: 6 (686 views)
Last post by: Initial.F on 12-11-2019 02:28 PM
Habanera Hal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2019 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How does one remove the notchback quarter windows? I've tried searching the forum and archives but any posts or links seem to be inactive or a Chinese pill factory.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2019 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'll have to remove the inner panel to get at the nut.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2019 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't done one in a few years but I recall there was a way to get the sail panels off from outside the car by using only a long screwdriver. I did a few this way with good results.
UPDATE: Now I recall. This was done on my first Fiero, a 1985 GT. What I did was to use a long screwdriver to get behind the sail panel and pried the panel away from the clip that was attached to the center bolt. After that it was just a matter of getting the rear two clips unhooked. Put the new sail panel w frame back in the same way and all stayed together.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 12-12-2019).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2019 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The glass '84 panels are different than the '85-'88 plastic ones. I seem to recall a slight variation with the mounting as well.
Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2019 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Haven't done one in a few years but I recall there was a way to get the sail panels off from outside the car by using only a long screwdriver. I did a few this way with good results.

I'd rather not remove the interior panel if I can avoid it. Is it just held on with double back tape, or will it be damaged if it's pried off?
(88 Formula BTW, plastic, not glass)
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2019 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're removing the whole assembly, you will need to remove the B piller inner trim to access a stamped steel pal nut that holds the window at the bottom. It's a 10mm nut and it's best to put something inside the socket that's sticky enough to hold the nut when it comes off to prevent losing it in the lower quarter. Once you have that nut off, you can tip it out from the bottom and slide the top from under the roof lip. But there's still 2 clips at the back edge of the window.

I think it was the 84 and 85 only that had 2 metal clips on the roof flange, along the back diagonal edge. There is a metal pin on the quarter window that pushes into each of those. It's difficult to get those pins out of the spring steel clips. Later quarter windows used large plastic pins with expanders on them that inserted into holes in the roof flange. Both style pins are molded into the back edge of the window.

If you're just replacing the lens, a good putty knife will accomplish that, except of course as stated, the 84 glass which is molded into the frame.
Initial.F

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2019 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Initial.FSend a Private Message to Initial.FEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your gonna need new Fasteners” never been able to remove without breaking 1 or 2” they can be found at auto part stores.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock