88' Cradle Swap to early Fiero strut adapter thread: by Flying_Dan
Started on: 10-28-2019 10:28 AM
Replies: 33 (1311 views)
Last post by: sluppy123 on 12-03-2021 02:01 PM
Flying_Dan

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2019 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Flying_DanSend a Private Message to Flying_DanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Moving this from the Mall to here.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Flying_Dan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2019 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Flying_DanSend a Private Message to Flying_DanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As some have said from the Mall posting, I've also been looking for these for a while. I have an 85' GT with 3400 and AT. I have everything from an 88' GT including the 5spd and these were some of the last pieces needed for the conversion.

I'm not interested in making parts, but also want to supply anyone who wants a template.

Not 100% sure how best to do this? I don't have CAD, but could put something together and post it as a PDF or Doc?

Thoughts?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2019 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't need this but...

Save/print as PDF. Any free method will work. I use CutePDF Writer for 15+ years because look like a local printer and doesn't need "Cloud services" BS.
Doc/Docx has charge some to a lot every version of Word. Current Default is DOCX unless you save as older versions which should do if you use word because many other programs also access 97-2003 doc files "better" then Docx format.

if you take pictures remember to include a ruler with obvious markings. If/When printed, users will need to scale up/down and need something to do that.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2019 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm actually surprised it's such a rare part. It should be pretty straightforward to make.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-29-2019 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 87 with 88 cradle I had wasn't done with the plates. They just drilled a hole inboard of the stock location and I think welded in a large washer. The pics I took got corrupted in translation on the phone they were taken on.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2019 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Flying_Dan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2019 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Flying_DanSend a Private Message to Flying_DanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't unboxed them yet, haven't been home. Will post something up when I do get home.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2019 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash: The 87 with 88 cradle I had wasn't done with the plates. They just drilled a hole inboard of the stock location and I think welded in a large washer.

That sounds pretty sketchy. The strut towers are made of thin sheet metal. That's why the stock setup has a large load bearing plate, with a bushing to absorb vibration, and 3 mounting studs spread around the outer periphery of the strut tower.
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-29-2019 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, so much for that memory. I just walked out in the garage to look at the springs and this was right beside them.

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 10-29-2019).]

arbakken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2020 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arbakkenSend a Private Message to arbakkenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone happen to snag a few measurements from a set of these plates? If anyone can get a napkin sketch together I would be more than happy to make drawings/templates/waterjet/laser files.
pcar

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2020 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcarSend a Private Message to pcarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If someone would make a set of these I would be in for one set.
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2020 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a set of these from Arraut back ten years ago or so......A simple plate with three studs and the bushing holder and spring holder welded on...Not rocket science. No 88 rear subframe/suspension should ever go to the crusher! this is a great upgrade.

Why someone isn't making these is beyond me.....At least get a Template that people can print out with the offset that is needed. I have two friends who could weld something like this up with quality. But some people don't have access to a good trusted welder.

A few people don't want to make these because they don't look "Show quality"....Come on, this is the best driving upgrade you can do to the Fiero beyond HP increases. I carefully cut and ground the opening for this in my shock tower- A piece of 1/32" metal will fit between but nothing wider- all the way around. If you want show quality then make a cap that mounts on the top.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 05-10-2020).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2020 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:
A few people don't want to make these because they don't look "Show quality"....Come on, this is the best driving upgrade you can do to the Fiero beyond HP increases.

Actually, this is what I said when you asked me to look into make them...

Originally posted by fieroguru:
the primary reason I don't offer the 88 cradle swap to an 84-87 chassis is I just don't like the finished look. If I wouldn't install the part on one of my cars, I simply won't sell it.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2020 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I bought a set of these from Arraut back ten years ago or so......A simple plate with three studs and the bushing holder and spring holder welded on...Not rocket science. No 88 rear subframe/suspension should ever go to the crusher! this is a great upgrade.

What is the purpose of the red wire in your photos? Is it a ground for the grill? If so, why?
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2020 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Move the decklid ground from hinge to the vent/strut tower?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2020 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For 88 cradle strut adapters, go to 2 Seat Garage on Facebook.....

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 05-11-2020).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2020 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

What is the purpose of the red wire in your photos? Is it a ground for the grill? If so, why?

It is a ground- I have static sometimes on my radio and thought it might be because of ignition interference....

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2020 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have the shield plate on your decklid?
arbakken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2020 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arbakkenSend a Private Message to arbakkenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From Lunatic's Ecotec fastback t top build:

When looking "DOWN" from the top of the 84-87 engine bay, (and standing behind the rear of the car facing forward), the new 88 strut shaft location will be:

INWARD 1.750" (44.45 mm)
FORWARD 15/16" (23.81 mm)

These measurements are "per strut". You'll have to move both struts!

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2020 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, yes I have the shield plate but recently I tested it for ground and I suspect the ground clip is not making a good connection- I am considering how to solve that above and beyond cleaning/grinding the interfaces.

Two, thank you for the measurements, Arbakken.

Guru, I know what you said, and I was trying not to get personal....I even agree with you to some extent- I have spent the time since your original message trying to figure out some kind of strut-tower cap that could make it look really good- and I am apparently stumped. I will keep trying but if you smell smoke, send the fire department!

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 05-12-2020).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2020 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Guru, I know what you said, and I was trying not to get personal....I even agree with you to some extent- I have spent the time since your original message trying to figure out some kind of strut-tower cap that could make it look really good- and I am apparently stumped.

What I have suggested to another member is to try and install the 88 cradle by just moving the strut inboard from the 84-87 spot and forget about moving it forward. The slight change in caster angle won't be a big deal and the impact this change would have on toe control would "probably" be minimal. Most 88's look like the wheel is to far forward and keeping the stuts in the 84-87 loction (front/back will move the wheel rearward about 1/8" to 1/4").

Then the conversion would be as straightforward as what I did with my 88. All that would be needed is to add a section of material to the stock strut hat to extend the outboard hole mounting location, then relocate the inboard hole and trim the excess off the strut hat.

The engine decklid vent brackets will need some clearance work, or do what I did and eliminated them entirely. The decklid vents stay put with the 3 points of contact. I even trimmed off the engine vent moutning flange on mine to clear the Konis with the flipped hat.

Here are the details of my relocation of the upper strut mount 1" inboard on my 88.

The end result:

PFF
System Bot
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2020 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a paperboard cutout of the plate in my image above. The long bolt extends 1.375", the others extend .85". The strut hole is .87". The OD of the small ring is 1.5". ID is 1.265". The big radius about the strut hole is sorta like 2.1". If you can see the the red line between the 2 mounting points the measurements are about 3.5" and 1.2" center to center. That doesn't give you everything you need but it's a start if someone wants to put this thing into CAD. Not sure anyone is so interested at this point.

I didn't write the measurements on the other side of the paperboard because it's a Priority Mail envelope with printed material on it. Anyway, it's pertinent to the other side of the car, too.

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 05-12-2020).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2020 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guru- I don't think the hole in the pre-88s is large enough for the offset.....and now you tell me not to move the mounting point "forward"; I have noticed that my rear wheels are actually located approx' 1/2 inch too far forward in the wheel well......Obviously, not re-positioning forward would have "Solved" that problem.....And, also, there isn't a lot of need for caster angle on the rear suspension.....

It is amazing what you learn when you open your mind (And I have no fear of anything falling out!)
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2020 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Guru- I don't think the hole in the pre-88s is large enough for the offset.....and now you tell me not to move the mounting point "forward"; I have noticed that my rear wheels are actually located approx' 1/2 inch too far forward in the wheel well......Obviously, not re-positioning forward would have "Solved" that problem.....And, also, there isn't a lot of need for caster angle on the rear suspension.....

It is amazing what you learn when you open your mind (And I have no fear of anything falling out!)

The hole wasn't big enough for my move either. Step one is grind the strut hole boss down flush with the stut tower - this makes the hole much larger, but still not large enough. The main purpose of this step is to make it flat so you can install a nice cover plate. Then slot it the enlarged opening the needed amount and make a cover plate.
arbakken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2020 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arbakkenSend a Private Message to arbakkenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sourmash, that's great! I got a little bored earlier and drew this up before you posted your measurements, but they seem to line up pretty well. Do you want to print this out (100% scale) and check it against your template? What are the dimensions on the ring on the bottom? How does the coil isolator not interfere with that close bolt (I assume it's notched)

I was planning on using Energy Suspension 9.8103 for the shock bushings, which line up with your top cup and hole measurements. For the isolator, probably 9.6121
You'd need a 2 1/16 OD ring on the bottom to locate the isolator.

I've always wanted to understand how changing suspension geometry changes handling and tire wear characteristics, but I don't. For 88, the Pontiac engineers chose to put the struts in that location and require a new die for stamping the part out. I'd prefer to try and keep that location. That isn't to say that I wouldn't take fieroguru's car over any other I've seen on here, because IMO it's the best one.

Anyways, hopefully this link will work, never shared a file like this before. I'll make a better drawing in the future with the correct hole sizes (I wanted to make the "hole" close to the side you'd have to saw out for the upper ring), and ring dimensions. I'll also make a dxf for waterjet/laser/plasma. If people are interested it probably makes sense to have a bunch of plates jet out at the same time rather than everyone doing it themselves. Maybe someone has access to a machine? I know a company that does fairly inexpensive waterjet, but it'd still cost a decent amount.

https://drive.google.com/op...VZ37WnY3MzXUofkx5MNQ

[This message has been edited by arbakken (edited 05-12-2020).]

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2020 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car had coil-overs. Here's the other side. About 2" ID and 2.25 OD. Does that make sense on the long stud?

arbakken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2020 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arbakkenSend a Private Message to arbakkenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol nope!

How is that stud attached? Oh, and what's the thickness of the plate?

Thanks!
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2020 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's 8th inch plate. The stud is just all thread welded to the plate.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieroguru, one of my other questions was mounting the decklid vents after moving the strut inboard but you did answer that. You mean to tell me they do not move around at all while driving? The only other issue I would need to work out is finding a new mount point for my decklid strut as mine is current attached to the mounting brackets of the vent. I am sure I can weld up something easy enough for that.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

Fieroguru, one of my other questions was mounting the decklid vents after moving the strut inboard but you did answer that. You mean to tell me they do not move around at all while driving? The only other issue I would need to work out is finding a new mount point for my decklid strut as mine is current attached to the mounting brackets of the vent. I am sure I can weld up something easy enough for that.

The front 2 attachments are "C" notches (you can use a couple of layers of heat shrink tubing on the studs to make these tighter and reduce vibration), the rear outboard attachment is pinned and bolted. The missing rear inboard attachment doesn't do much but allow you to walk on the vent if you want to (which I don't). There is a lower lip on the rear inboard corner for a rubber pad to help keep it from vibrating against the bottom side of the decklid.

I haven't had the inboard decklid vent brackets on my cars for about 17 years and don't miss them one bit. Here is when I first started doing it by cutting the tab off the stock 88 upper ring. This is also when I switched to using stainless button head bolts vs. stuts for the upper strut attachment.

I have seen people drill and tap the side of the strut tower for the ball end of the decklid lift cylinder vs. using the bracket.
Franked

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2020 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrankedSend a Private Message to FrankedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

What I have suggested to another member is to try and install the 88 cradle by just moving the strut inboard from the 84-87 spot and forget about moving it forward. The slight change in caster angle won't be a big deal and the impact this change would have on toe control would "probably" be minimal. Most 88's look like the wheel is to far forward and keeping the stuts in the 84-87 loction (front/back will move the wheel rearward about 1/8" to 1/4"

Guru, couldn't you use your adjustable lower links to move the hub rearward, and compensate (at least some) for the caster change brought on by not moving the strut top forward?
Frank
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2020 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Franked:
Guru, couldn't you use your adjustable lower links to move the hub rearward, and compensate (at least some) for the caster change brought on by not moving the strut top forward?
Frank

Not without causing other more significant issues than caster (which is probably the least significant suspension geometry parameter for the Fiero rear suspension).
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2020 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keeping the top pivot further back probably leads to better ride quality by allowing the wheel to move rearward a smidgen more when it hits a bump.
sluppy123

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2021 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been working on these parts for a few months now. They are exact copies of the adapters on my 87 gt with a 88 cradle. The metal parts were easy to make but sourcing the poly bushings and spring isolators has been a tough task. I now have a very limited number of these adapters available. They include all the poly mounts for the spring and shocks. Buyer will need to provide shocks, coilover sleeves and 2.5" ID springs. Parts are powder coated black. Cost is $235 for a pair.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock