Started on: 10-23-2019 12:23 PM
Replies: 12 (470 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 03-20-2021 07:07 PM
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had one of these ignition module testers for years, and finally used it yesterday. Seems pretty slick. Anyone else used these?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

I've had one of these ignition module testers for years...

I think I have the same tester downstairs... sitting unused ever since I bought it over a decade ago.

When you tried it, did it heat the ICM up?
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I think I have the same tester downstairs... sitting unused ever since I bought it over a decade ago.

When you tried it, did it heat the ICM up?

I didn’t touch the ICM during the test, but it only uses a 9 volt battery. It wasn’t hot to the touch a few seconds after the test. I doubt it’s enough current to cause any heat, but I’ll check it out.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

I doubt it’s enough current to cause any heat...

That's always been my concern with these inexpensive testers. As a lot of us have unfortunately experienced, even a bad ICM can work... until it gets hot. If the tester itself isn't able to get the ICM hot, then it may be next to useless for all practical purposes.
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

That's always been my concern with these inexpensive testers. As a lot of us have unfortunately experienced, even a bad ICM can work... until it gets hot. If the tester itself isn't able to get the ICM hot, then it may be next to useless for all practical purposes.

Someone could try putting the ICM in their kitchen oven at 250°F or so, with the tester itself outside the oven, using sufficiently long enough wires to link both items.

No joking around here, that's standard testing practice for new product development at my employer. Except our ovens are nicer than second-hand garage sale units with grease dripping. They also cool things down in addition to heating stuff up.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 10-23-2019).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is an issue for "Real" testers used by stores and shops.
You need to heat them but not too much or good ones will fry.

Often ICMs like many "MIL Spec" parts can take more heat then normal electronic sold to public but does have upper limits to run right.
Problem is that limit is nearly never publish by GM or anyone else. If you find thermal specs make sure that come from a real source like GM Delphi Wells etc.
Delphi publish many part specs but I never seen any ICM thermal data.

So feels hot often doesn't mean anything. Hot you can't touch maybe.
Now if you had FLIR, Cheap IR unit, thermocouple, etc. that reads the "bottom" above 150-180°F during a test then likely getting too hot for a test w/o anything heat sinking.
Large MOSFET(s) is(are) attach to the metal "Bottom" depending just what ICM is. When you read temp of ICM bottom then the MOSFET(s) are often many degrees hotter and maybe near at or above the limits. More so not mounted to a distributor etc.
(HEI has at least 1 Power MOSFET. DIS has at least 1 per Coil controlled.)

IOW Don't think 9v battery can't kill them or hurt you.
Shorted "small" batteries can cook whatever connected, itself and you. If left Can burst the case spraying contents on you. Standard and Alkaline are not as bad as LiIon but not fun either.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's really cool. Would you mind telling me the make and part number of the tester?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by PatrickTRoof (edited 01-20-2021).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2021 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PatrickTRoof:

That's really cool. Would you mind telling me the make and part number of the tester?

Thanks

I bought this years ago, at a Napa parts store. I just looked at their web site, it's not listed. I found one on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ka...7:g:1G4AAOSwWUJf52PD

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 01-22-2021).]

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2021 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found one on eBay as well. It's definitely a very handy tool!
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Safe to say it can identify some bad ones but not all.
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

True. I had an ICM that would not start the car, but it tested good.
PFF
System Bot
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone ever tried to repair one? What is it that fails internally? I was curious and pried the rectangular cover off a bad one but had no idea what I was looking at.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

A bad ICM will often still function before it gets hot during normal use. It's doubtful these testers have enough juice to heat up a borderline ICM enough for a valid test. In my opinion, that makes these module testers next to useless... unless the ICM is perhaps heated up considerably in an oven prior to/during the test.

The funny thing is, I have one of these module testers... and I've never used it. Ever since I installed a heatsink on the underside of my distributor more than a dozen years ago, I've never had any ICM issues.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-21-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock