Clicking Clutch Pedal by 88Fingers
Started on: 07-20-2019 07:43 PM
Replies: 12 (321 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 09-16-2021 11:16 PM
88Fingers

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2019 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FingersSend a Private Message to 88FingersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I have Rodney's master and slave, all bled out and the clutch operation is fine but I am now getting a clicking feel and sound from the pedal area. Intermittent but makes me crazy! '88 GT Getrag. The banjo is tight and adjusted for the 1 inch height above the brake pedal. Thank you for any suggestions you may have.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Crasian

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2019 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrasianSend a Private Message to CrasianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bet it’s the clutch pedal switch. It’s the switch that lets you start the car only when the pedal is depressed..

-Crasian
88Fingers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FingersSend a Private Message to 88FingersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Crasian, thanks for the reply. If it is the switch, does that mean replacing or is there something else to try?
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No help here but . . . I had the same thing for a bit. I put in new banjo bushings and confirmed no switch issues.

Then, after running for a week or two, the noise went away. Best I could figure, the clutch pedal spring was bound up and popping, but it eventually settled and/or lube worked into it.
88Fingers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FingersSend a Private Message to 88FingersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks USMUCL, the new master came with new bushing so that should be good. Sometimes the click is on release and sometimes when pushing down. The spring in the master may be it and it is immersed in brake fluid so I will give it a bit more time to see if it will work out. Could be that the new master needs to be broken in for a while?
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2021 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any update on this from 2 years ago?

Mine is doing the same thing, here is what I found from a preliminary diagnosis without removing master cylinder from car...

(Note: Everything is installed correctly and adjusted properly)

- Pedal is not bent and has new bushings
- All connections are clean, smooth, and greased
- Thought it was the new brass banjo bushing where it connects to pedal
- Tried different pedal / banjo positions with different washers and noise remains
- Disconnected banjo from pedal and can make noise moving rod inside master cylinder

It feels like the rod is "clicking" where it goes into the master cylinder, almost as if there is a ledge or burr, so when you apply pressure with your foot the rod "clicks" into seat on master cylinder cup. Basically it feels like the rod and cup don't have smooth mating surfaces.

Here are 3 videos I uploaded to YouTube...

1. Moving the pedal by hand with rod attached... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRAdJfPYthY

2. Moving the rod by hand with it detached from pedal... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH9cUjh5FOY

3. Moving the pedal with foot with rod attached... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IttP9MR7qcE

Rodney is sending me another to compare / investigate and will post the findings.

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 08-19-2021).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2021 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has pedal plastic bearings at top pivot been look at?
1.The bushings/bearings are used Dry. No oil or grease. Oil etc ruins them and plastic make more noise.
2.They wear out over time, more so w/ clutch pedal because more travel and use more too.

Dorman makes some of them but doesn't quit fit Fiero.
Need to cut a tiny bit of slot area so ends don't try to hit/overlap.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2021 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:

- Pedal is not bent and has new bushings

rod is "clicking" where it goes into the master cylinder

Moving the rod by hand with it detached from pedal... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH9cUjh5FOY

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 08-19-2021).]

Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2021 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update, mine just stopped clicking after 300 miles, just like USMUCL, I guess the internal spring or clip wasn't seating correctly and corrected itself.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2021 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The clutch pedal in my Formula started feeling and sounding weird a week ago. When I release the clutch pedal, it starts to come up normally, but then the pedal sort of "catches", then goes limp before slowly returning all the way. As this is all occurring, there's also a squawking noise coming from somewhere up front (not from the engine bay). The clutch itself seems to be engaging and releasing properly.

In my situation, I suspect it's the clutch master cylinder that's failing. I believe its the original master. I have a new one on the way. I'll report my findings. (I replaced the slave with a Dickman unit years ago.)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-13-2021).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2021 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

In my situation, I suspect it's the clutch master cylinder that's failing. I believe its the original master. I have a new one on the way. I'll report my findings.

I got an opportunity to install my new clutch master cylinder today, and I'm very pleased and relieved to report that it resolved my clutch issues. I'm SO glad it wasn't a clutch disc or pressure plate problem.

PFF
System Bot
Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2021 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice, and no clicking I presume.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2021 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:

...and no clicking I presume.

Correct.

It's odd, there was definitely something "catching" inside of the old master cylinder (and sort of making a clicking sound) when the clutch was being released. I should take the old cylinder apart and see what was going on internally. When I do, I'll make another report.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock