Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  1997 3.4L DOHC LQ1 start of build, anyone know where i can get a timing kit?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
1997 3.4L DOHC LQ1 start of build, anyone know where i can get a timing kit? by m0sh_man
Started on: 06-07-2019 09:24 PM
Replies: 9 (453 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 06-10-2019 10:26 PM
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2019 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i picked up a complete 97 monte carlo that runs/drives, id like to start doing all the stuff to prep it for my swap by freshening it up, I've seen complete rebuild kits on ebay for $600 from a company called "engine tech" but i know nothing about them, But the one thing that i seem to be having trouble locating is a complete timing kit (with tensioners and pulleys)

anyone know where these parts can be sourced?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2019 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before you tear the engine apart do a cylinder leakdown test to determine cylinder/ring condition. If that checks out then I would just replace the timing belt and go for the installation. Rock Auto has the belt kits with the pulleys and seals for about $100. I believe that the 3.4TDC/DOHC engine is nearly a direct bolt in but it is a very heavy engine being around 100 lbs more than a 3800SC. Still some owners like them for their high revving capability which is best used with a stick.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2019 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As one who has done this swap (no longer have that fiero) look at ltlferrai website on it http://www.ltlfrari.com/ , I followed his guide almost to a T. It has a lot of useful information and diagrams. As for the timing belt, you are doing it correctly by replacing everything in there, it is fairly easy to do, you really only need a paperclip (small nail), and something to use as a cam lock down.

dan
m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2019 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, i've had two 3800 s/c fiero's several 3.4L pushrod fiero's a high output quad4 fiero, and countless 2.5-2.8L fieros (48 fiero's in total) been on the forums for 20 years or so now. but got out of fiero's for about 5 years.

I know the 3.4L twin cam is a bit heavier but i'm ok with that, i know all the phsyical stuff that will have to be done with the swap, more than ok with that. I'm sure i can figure the wiring out as well. The only issues i'm going to have is the tuning. I'm wanting to add a small turbo to the motor, something that peaks around 5,000-5500 RPM but still makes a bit of power up top.

i've found timing kits, but i cannot seem to locate the hydrolic cam tensioner at all.

bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2019 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe it is gm part# 24503860, if that is it there is a dealer in Tappanhannock VA, that says they have one. There are several other dealers that also have them just not sure how close they would be to you.

dan

[This message has been edited by bonaduce (edited 06-08-2019).]

m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2019 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is the timing tensioner the same 91-97? I've found several that list 91-95..... and a couple places that list the tensioner as 91-97 so i'm not sure if there's a difference between them or not.
m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2019 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is the timing tensioner the same 91-97? I've found several that list 91-95..... and a couple places that list the tensioner as 91-97 so i'm not sure if there's a difference between them or not.
88cryan

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2019 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88cryanSend a Private Message to 88cryanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The hydraulic timing belt tensioner is one of the unobtainium parts for this engine. It does not come with any of the belt kits. I was extremely lucky to find a NOS one on eBay and paid $100 for it. I kept the old one just in case.

Its technically not a hydraulic tensioner, it is mechanical based and just happens to have a small amount of oil in it to keep it oiled and moving. You might be ok reusing it if it moves freely and top off the oil through the fill plug, my problem was the dust boot was all torn up so I replaced it for peace of mind.

[This message has been edited by 88cryan (edited 06-10-2019).]

bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2019 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
91-97 used in many applications
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2019 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From one of my FB friends who is in the middle of an LQ1 build/swap....

"GM p/n is 24503860...126 through dealership. about 80 through internet."

Edit- Just did a Google search on the part number. Looks like they're out there.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-11-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock