Started on: 10-16-2018 04:38 PM
Replies: 12 (301 views)
Last post by: engine man on 10-24-2018 03:58 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just came across a product called Race Gas Additive. it is claimed that 4 oz of Race Gas additive per gallon brings the Octane rating of 93 octane pump gas to 101 octane and 6oz per gallon brings the octane rating to 105. This might be the solution to those Fiero owners that run higher boost levels.
info here:
RACE GAS

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are there not octane boosters you can buy at any auto store? I do not know much about any of them though. I will say this, I looked st it expecting to see a much higher price for purchasing.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think its just Vodka.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you ignore Both are labeled as "Off Road Use Only" yet sold for "Passenger Cars" and other road vehicles. The Rest of site reads same hype as most of "as seen on TV" products. Some highlights...

Videos "Experts" w/o a clue, got money to push this or Both.

"Up until recently, tetra ethyl lead was used in gasoline for this purpose." TEL was banned 30+ years ago and most gas brands sold in the US remove that in the 80s before the EPA full ban. EPA never actually banned MTBE who's main job was "Oxygenates" gas before corn con game forced down our throats but won't protect refiners/distributors from states suing because pollutes water.

"highest quality methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl." Only 1 company, Ethyl Corp, make this in the US and most "octane boosters" uses it. (Ethyl and DuPont made TEL too.)

MMT is regulated by EPA and others and likely Why is labeled for off road use. Is banned in gas in CA and in Reformulated Gas in other areas. Car makers don't like MMT either like MMT has been linked to exhaust catalyst problems. see http://www.meca.org/galleri...port_August_2008.pdf (Huge 13MB PDF)

full or patent pending doesn't matter. USPTO have and will patent all kinds of complete crap because not like EPA CPSC NHTSA etc. Like "Method of exercising a cat" US5443036A

Site does not have SDS/MSDS and can't find one using google etc either means problems to many buyers. "Proprietary Formula" claims still requires companies to publish/have SDS. Fed OSHA and State and local departments can fine or shut down a business w/o SDS for most chemicals.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After thinking about this Race Gas additive and the amount it takes to get a gallon of 93 octane gas to 100 octane, the booster adds $4.00 to each gallon. I've been using Lucas Octane boost for about $7.00 per bottle (16 oz) and one bottle treats 10 gallons of gas. Similar claims but we must remember that Octane has two ratings : research octane number and motor octane number ( a lower more conservative number) . Pump gas is sold as an average of the two. Yeras back the research octane number was used and we were able to buy Sunoco 103 at your local gas station. In the 70'snd 80's Amoco had an alcohol free unleaded version of their gas that was 101 octane. I often wonder how today's gasoline stacks up.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2018 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RON and MON numbers are two different testing methods and use a special "engines" like This example.

I think Sunoco 102 still had AKI label. US pump Octane Labeling is standardize by Feds and never allowed RON only numbers that I could find.
Sunoco had "blender" pumps w/ 5 to 8 grades to sell from mixing of 2-3 grades in the ground or a mix of gas and "Octane concentrate" (Several version used over the years. Many also had filter(s) outside of pump because of no room to mount inside.)

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

1975-85 high Octane gas had TEL in them. No TEL in 85 means higher cost to make 100+ octane and few buyers need 95+.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-17-2018).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2018 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

After thinking about this Race Gas additive and the amount it takes to get a gallon of 93 octane gas to 100 octane, the booster adds $4.00 to each gallon. I've been using Lucas Octane boost for about $7.00 per bottle (16 oz) and one bottle treats 10 gallons of gas. ...

I suppose the test is try these things and see if it pings?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2018 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I suppose the test is try these things and see if it pings?

Before I added the SS intercooler, 180* stat and autolite 104's, there were KR's with my 3800SC series III with the GenV supercharger, a 3.4" pulley and 3" exhaust. A good shot of Lucas octane boost reduced the KR's significantly but the intercooler reduced them completely. When you add boost you need good high octane gasoline and BTW, the Cadillac 4.9L also requires premium fuel. .

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2018 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is what I use when I take my 500 Abarth to the track, I don't compromise. I'll use this in my Fiero also when on the track and it will have a tuned table just for it.
It burns clean, no brownish stuff on the plugs like all the boosters and keeps the fuel system clean. It cost more but its worth it for me.

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 10-19-2018).]

bHooper

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2018 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The SCCA tech inspector frowns on oxygenates. Go to your local private airport and buy the plain old gas, that contains zero corn squeezing and a good octane level!
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2018 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bHooper:

The SCCA tech inspector frowns on oxygenates. Go to your local private airport and buy the plain old gas, that contains zero corn squeezing and a good octane level!

The reason I like this specific fuel is because the engine doesn't only rely on the oxygen in the air supplied by the intake valves. Now I can introduce more fuel quantity to take advantage of the extra oxygen. I used to use Sunoco 112 leaded and after switching to the oxy Sunoco the throttle response and quick revs is very noticeable.
PFF
System Bot
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But remember - no gain unless you also retune (except on cars with 'hunt forward' programming vis a vis advance).

BTW, what sort of boost are you guys running, anyway? I ran 8.5 with 10 psi of boost (any more was a waste of time without an IC, which is tough to install on a Fiero)
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2018 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
why not just run water / methanol injection the methanol part boost octan and the water part fights detonation this is what should be on a boosted engine i have mine installed before my SC but i am chancing taking the coating off the rotors so it should be instaled after the SC and if you really want to know about it go talk to those folks who have the high boost subarus , honda's ect as most of them run it and it works all most forgot you will need to retune for it to get the most out of it

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 10-24-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock