Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Was just given this Fiero GT ... Engine swap questions (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Was just given this Fiero GT ... Engine swap questions by Flaxxer
Started on: 07-29-2018 01:56 PM
Replies: 47 (1264 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 09-11-2018 09:09 PM
Flaxxer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2018 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL … Easy to think, difficult to say. I sure don't want to lose believers here, but it will most likely take me a full year to complete the engine swap. In the meantime, I am trying to get the car running, as I have never driven one. I know the last owner, and he pulled the car in still running fine, when he parked it for a few years. While I am saving a bit more funds, I am starting to sand the car down and prep it to repaint it. So there will still be progress shown while looking for the engine swap materials.
IP: Logged
mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2018 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't turned a wrench on my project car in almost a year.Rebuilt oldest sons GP motor,daughters honda trany,everything breaks on youngest sons impala,ram clutch and self employed contractor.Throw the divorce in and there was no time left for fun projects.I get it!
If you can get it running that is he way to go.Nothing worse than swapping in a motor,get the adrenaline rush of the first drive to find the brakes,or suspension is dangerous and you have to park it again.Built a 58 Carmengia years ago with a 2200 cc dual port motor swap.Went to make the turn at the end of the street on it's maiden voyage,,,,,steering wheal cam off !!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2018 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flaxxer:

I will most likely go with the auto.

My MAIN goal is to have a really fun to drive car.

IMO, those are two diametrically opposed comments.
mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2018 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Driving in city traffic with an auto or stage 3 clutch is a dramatic difference in fun. Comparing the same two cars on a road that looks like it was planed by an engineer mid seizure?..The stick is a bit more fun but not as dramatic of a difference.The handling is what makes them so much fun to drive.Adding power just adds to the giggle factor.lol I still say go stick but depends on where and how you drive it.
mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2018 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just had the "kid" next door ask how to test his fuel pump and it made me realize my explanation on how to hot wire the fuel pump may sound more complicated than it actually is.Fused power supply can be the cigarette lighter and the relay wire is in the ALDL port G. ALDL is under the panel the cigarette lighter is mounted into.2 screws to remove the panel.
Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2018 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a lot guys! I much, much prefer a stick. But I know I would destroy my stock 5 speed. Full throttle pulls in all gears will happen.

Mad dad matt … I was looking under the car to try and figure how to hot wire the fuel pump. A nightmare to figure out on your back. Then I wondered why you couldn't just get in the fuse panel and hot wire the pump that way. Now you are REALLY talking, bud. LOL

BUT, this is not my main issue. I have power to the starter when the key is turned …. but the starter does NOTHING. The car just makes no noise, and the electric gauge on the dash shows the battery immediately go down to low volts. I foget if it is 10v or 8v it goes to. But the starter is obviously not trying to turn the motor over. I need someone to crank, while I bang.

Matter of fact, I need a women like that last sentence, too !!! LOL
Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2018 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Flaxxer

22 posts
Member since Jul 2018
Thanks a lot guys! I much, much prefer a stick. But I know I would destroy my stock 5 speed. Full throttle pulls in all gears will happen.

Mad dad matt … I was looking under the car to try and figure how to hot wire the fuel pump. A nightmare to figure out on your back. Then I wondered why you couldn't just get in the fuse panel and hot wire the pump that way. Now you are REALLY talking, bud. LOL

BUT, this is not my main issue. I have power to the starter when the key is turned …. but the starter does NOTHING. The car just makes no noise, and the electric gauge on the dash shows the battery immediately go down to low volts. I foget if it is 10v or 8v it goes to. But the starter is obviously not trying to turn the motor over. I need someone to crank, while I bang.

Matter of fact, I need a women like that last sentence, too !!! LOL
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2018 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mad dad matt:

Fused power supply can be the cigarette lighter and the relay wire is in the ALDL port G. ALDL is under the panel the cigarette lighter is mounted into.2 screws to remove the panel.

Just to make it a bit clearer...

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock