Started on: 05-04-2018 09:30 PM
Replies: 12 (816 views)
Last post by: George P Wood on 05-11-2018 11:19 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Founds these on eBay. They appear to bolt right in but how do they perform?
[URL=https://www.ebay.com/itm/7X6-Crystal-Chrome-LED-HID-Cree-Light-Bulbs-Clear-Sealed-Beam-Headlamp-Headlight/292197457679?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50543%26meid%3D0ad7663d42894d52b7721df78ae47176%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26r kt%3D]https://www.ebay.com/itm/7X...05%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D123049856378%26itm%3D292197457679&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851[/URL]

Anyone try them yet? Results?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-04-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2018 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Local club member is very satisfied with Grote 90951-5 LED units:
https://www.fieromontreal.c...78.msg34056#msg34056

Of all people Dennis, surely by the price and general appearance you can tell that the lamps you referred to are offshore-made, with quality likely to suit.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2018 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cheap ones sold on Ebay and others are often counterfeit, won't last and illegal in many US states, Canada and EU because for a start have no or very few marking require in many countries. See https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/140638.html#p11 and https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/098147.html#p9

I looked at your link even tho link is have problems. (In FF you highlight the text then right click to follow.)
Seems Does Not have DOT marking and may need changing pin out for the plug screams Crap and worse.
I won't be surprise they even fake Cree LED because Cree is a well known company, like ACDelco and other brand are 90% plus counterfeit parts on Ebay.

Real ones like TruckLite cost more partly because made to meet the rules for each.
DOT have some Different Rules/Laws vs Canada and more different for EU countries.
This is why TruckLite GE Sylvania and others selling LED HL have 3 PN for 1 size "bulb." 1 is DOT, 1 is all EU except UK, 1 for UK that drives on left side of road.
I told UK MOT (sim to DOT) have recently charge inspection rules to fight crap HL "upgrades" on the road there.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2018 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Local club member is very satisfied with Grote 90951-5 LED units:
https://www.fieromontreal.c...78.msg34056#msg34056

Of all people Dennis, surely by the price and general appearance you can tell that the lamps you referred to are offshore-made, with quality likely to suit.

Good point but the technology is interesting. Avoiding cheap low quality offshore automotive components made by slaves is getting harder. Even "USA" , "Canadian" and "European" made stuff these days use offshore components. I do try to buy real American, Canadian and European made stuff.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2018 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I'm in doubt, I like to check Amazon for similar products, so I can see reviews. Also easier to return if not what I was expecting. Found this similar bulb set ( although they have a bunch of different ones).
https://www.amazon.com/Part...+led+headlight&psc=1

Many of the comments indicated that the lights have no upper cutoff, and tend to blind oncoming drivers. Some suggestions in the comments on other brands that were better. Good place to do some more research if it still interests you.

------------------
SCREW PHOTOBUCKET. All my pictures are now available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/156871275@N07/albums
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering. (SOLD)

Crasian

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2018 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrasianSend a Private Message to CrasianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have those exact light the poster is talking about. Yes, they are a direct fit, kinda sorta. The housing is a little smaller than OEM housing so the fit is poor. But our headlight mounting trim holds it in place fine though. The lens are non coated raw plastic and the very first wipe of a towel scratches the heck out of them. Now on th the actual lighting.. they are bright for sure since there are many LED’s. Problem is the glare. It is bright to on coming traffic since there is no cut off whatsoever. I had my son drive it towards me while sitting in another car and experienced it first hand. It’s pretty BAD!
- I personally would NOT recommend them to anyone who cares about blinding oncoming traffic. They have been removed from my personal car, I got lots of people flashing me back at night, even though they were adjusted properly (I even lowered them some to see if it would help).
- These should be considered “off road” lights but we don’t go “off roading” in our Fiero’s much now do we, LOL
- And yes, I try my best to stay away from the made-in-China stuff, most of it is garbage and I would much rather support our economy
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2018 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:
When I'm in doubt, I like to check Amazon for similar products, so I can see reviews. Also easier to return if not what I was expecting. Found this similar bulb set ( although they have a bunch of different ones)....

Many of the comments indicated that the lights have no upper cutoff, and tend to blind oncoming drivers. Some suggestions in the comments on other brands that were better. Good place to do some more research if it still interests you.
Even ignoring Fake reviews... Not really because most reviewer have no clue what is wrong except obvious glare or doesn't work.
Many HL "upgrades" have many problem and Worse many Counterfeiters put DOT/EU and/or TOP and claim meet the rules/laws but doesn't.
Most are missing Marker's name/logo and "code string" as cover in my links above should give Warnings of Counterfeit but Most Buyer have no clue or simply doesn't care and install them anyway.

This has been same problem w/ Ebay and other vendors like BTR and TFS passing off H4 crap for Many Years and now many are doing same for LED crap. More Confusing to most, BTR and some others sells a mix of complete BS like "Switchback" LED and H4 lights w/ Legal products like TruckLite because current US law allow them to sell them. DOT/NHTSA recalls go after the manufacturer while store can sell until stock runs out and switch to next crap product. Even Sylvania got on the "band wagon" and Walmart, AZ and nearly every auto parts stores sell "off road use only" LED to anyone and Companies do not care if people crash and worse. Most Big Name store sells only DOT legal HL but not all. More so when dealing "speed shops" and others w/ only 1 to a few stores.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2018 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I currently run Trucklight high intensity healdlight bulbs. I believe that they are Halogen and they are bight. Those are the lights with the bullseye center. I will just leave them as is.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2018 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
I currently run Trucklight high intensity healdlight bulbs. I believe that they are Halogen and they are bight. Those are the lights with the bullseye center. I will just leave them as is.
TL PN 27009? Is DOT HB2 cert and should use 9003 Halogen bulbs.

You can get close to PnP relay kits to save OE wiring parts. Dimmer and HL switches can wear and can get warm to hot w/ normal bulbs worse w/ hotter bulbs.
Kits are for FWD/RWD w/ engine in front so have to extend power to and fuse link in back of Fiero.
Madathlon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadathlonSend a Private Message to MadathlonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm big into the LED conversion on all my cars and trucks and I will worn you now, cheap comes out EXPENSIVE!. I did the cheap Chinese LED headlights and got a $1500 fine from the CHP. Without a DOT cert you can get in major trouble.

------------------
Mark Silva
1987 GT 2.8 V6 5 Speed manual
"The Road trip called life starts with a flat tire and a missing jack"

George P Wood

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for George P WoodSend a Private Message to George P WoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased mine from "Super Bright LEDs".
For once I listened to "the ogre" and purchased ones that are dot compliant.
They were a lot more expensive than the cheap ones off of ebay.
However, I am very happy with them and they fit perfectly.
Unfortunately I just checked and they are presently "out of stock".
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by George P Wood:

I purchased mine from "Super Bright LEDs".
For once I listened to "the ogre" and purchased ones that are dot compliant.
They were a lot more expensive than the cheap ones off of ebay.
However, I am very happy with them and they fit perfectly.
Unfortunately I just checked and they are presently "out of stock".

Which specific setup did you use (bulbs, covers, etc.) that worked well?

Nelson
George P Wood

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for George P WoodSend a Private Message to George P WoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased Stock #: H6054 listed for the fiero.
Right now they do not seem to be stocking them.
They were a direct replacement.
Unscrew the rings, unplug the existing light, plug in new LED light & reinstall the rings.
I actually had my rings powder coated (black) since they had some signs of rust and purchased the black LED H6054 bulbs.
There was no need to change plugs, add resistors, relays or anything else.
Otherwise I would probably not have made the change.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock