TCC Transmission Lockup Solenoid by Andrew Berko
Started on: 05-02-2018 06:12 PM
Replies: 10 (432 views)
Last post by: lateFormula on 05-10-2018 09:57 AM
Andrew Berko

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2018 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Andrew BerkoSend a Private Message to Andrew BerkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello:

I have an automatic 1988 Fiero GT and I need to replace the TCC Transmission Lockup Solenoid.

Does anyone know where I can buy a new one? If interested, I posted my Fiero problem several weeks ago under "Engine Stall" and was expertly referred to Chuck Kichline's excellent article that describes my vehicle's problem perfectly. I just need to order the part now. Thank you in advance very much!

------------------
Andy

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2018 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get the solenoid, gasket and the case connector for the THC125 at TranStar on Goshen Springs Road in Norcross, Ga. Cheapest place you will find. They are a supplier of most of the major transmission repair shops like Mr. Transmission, AAMCO, etc. I would suggest you change out the TCC Case Connector while you're in there. That's the plastic piece that the solenoid plugs into the back side and the engine bay harness plugs into the front side. By this time they're usually getting brittle, and if they should crack and come loose, they blow trans fluid out into the area of the catalytic converter and exhaust downpipe.

The easiest way to connect the solenoid to the back of the TCC Case Connector is to remove it from the case and push the wires through and plug them on. Those latches tend to break off when you depress them to separate the old one from the case and it's best to have a new one on hand.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 05-02-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2018 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get the solenoid w/ wiring in the trans under Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid at RA like ACDELCO 8689901 for $27.
doesn't include 3nd gear switch or trans case plug.

Maybe just changing fluid will stop this. Dirty oil can plug the solenoid too.
Need 8-9 q oil and filter "kit" (filter seal and pad gasket.)
See my Cave, Automatic

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Andrew Berko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2018 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Andrew BerkoSend a Private Message to Andrew BerkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dear FieroFool,

Thank you very much for your help! Your information was spot-on and thanks to you I just ordered the solenoid, gasket and connector for the TH125C transmission from TranStar in Norcross, GA. You're absolutely right - they are inexpensive and their customer service was great. Part arrives tomorrow.

Before your reply, I had placed an order for this solenoid from the Fiero Store, however the TCC solenoid on their website appears different that the one in your picture so I checked the GM Fiero manual and the TCC solenoid pictured therein appears similar to the picture you provided. So to be safe I placed both orders (Fiero Store and TranStar) and will return the one not used. Thank you again for your excellent help and advice!

------------------
Andy

Andrew Berko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2018 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Andrew BerkoSend a Private Message to Andrew BerkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Andrew Berko

11 posts
Member since Feb 2018
Dear Theogre:

Thank you very much for your recommendation and advice. The TCC solenoid I ordered from TranStar was also inexpensive at $20.95.
I totally agree that changing all the fluids regularly is the key to keeping any engine running smoothly for a long time. Thanks again for your advice and help!

------------------
Andy

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2018 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Andrew, the picture I posted is for the plug that goes in the transmission case. It facilitates connecting the engine bay harness to the solenoid harness. The solenoid is an electrical device that plugs onto the 3 prongs shown in my picture. The solenoid looks like this: https://www.fierostore.com/...px?s=54856&d=371&p=1

Something I found is that The Fiero Store solenoid has the short wires as depicted in the above link. The Transtar Solenoid has long wires that plug directly into the back of the case connector so you don't have to cut and splice wires.
Andrew Berko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2018 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Andrew BerkoSend a Private Message to Andrew BerkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FF,
Thanks again for your help clarifying the situation! I really appreciate this! I'll probably keep the Fiero Store's unit as a spare/backup and thanks for the heads up about the shorter wiring. Both units will be received tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll let you know Saturday (hopefully) how the engine is running with the new solenoid installed. My Fiero only has 2,000 original miles on her, but things do go bad after just sitting around for 30 years. Thanks again!!
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Andrew Berko:
I have an automatic 1988 Fiero GT ...

My Fiero only has 2,000 original miles on her, ...

At least show your appreciation with some pictures, .

Welcome to the forum.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's an article I did on replacing the TCC case connector. At the bottom of the article is a link back to PFF, written by Gall757 and used by permission. It details his TCC Solenoid replacement.
Andrew Berko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Andrew BerkoSend a Private Message to Andrew BerkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you again FF!! I'd be delighted to share some "FiFi" pictures, but I don't know how to attach jpg files in my response post to the Fiero Forum. If there is a way to do it, I'm all ears. If not, I could send some photos to your personal email address if you wish.

I received the new solenoid this morning and immediately brought to my mechanic. Hopefully it does the trick - if not, there may be some other transmission problem lurking within but me and my mechanic tend to doubt this as she's only been driven 2,000 miles in 30 years.

Thank you again for all your help. Pennock's Fiero Forum is simply fantastic.

------------------
Andy

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierofool, do you have a part number for that TCC case connector? A few years ago I had to replace my TCC solenoid (and while I was in there I replaced one of the pressure switches). While doing the job it occurred to me that plugging in the new TCC would be much easier if I had a new case connector so as to feed the TCC wiring out through the trans, plug it all together outside the trans, then push the case connector back into the trans. I did not attempt to remove the case connector, but I had ventured a guess that the install would have been much easier and faster if I had a new case connector on hand. When I was done I had searched for a part number for that, but could not locate the PN.

Thank you!
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock