Help Needed Repining a Harness Plug Connector by VanGTP5000
Started on: 01-25-2018 04:12 PM
Replies: 14 (348 views)
Last post by: VanGTP5000 on 02-03-2018 05:20 PM
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2018 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a harness plug with one errant wire that has pulled out of the connector:

The wire in question inserts into the top right input of the above pic.

Can anyone offer any instructions on how to properly re-connect this wire into the harness plug? I can't seem to be able to remove the gray clipped on piece without removing the electrical tape that is wrapped around the end of the wires holding it (the gray piece) in place. I assume I will have to remove the tape...? I also assume that there is a special tool used to insert the wire in?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

-Van
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2018 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
  • Remove the tape.
  • spread the wires so you can remove the grey clip and get it past all the wires.
  • Look at the terminal end of the connector, there is a small square space above the terminal hole. There is a raised catch from the terminal that pops up in this cavity and locks the terminal in place. Use a terminal tool or a flat micro screw driver, insert it into the small square cavity, pressing the end toward the terminal. You are trying to push the retaining catch back into the terminal so it will slide past the plastic.
  • Normally at this point you can pull on the wire and it and the terminal will slide out the backside. It takes some force as the rubber seal will try to hold it in place.
  • Without the wire to pull on, you will likely need a paper clip or something to push from the terminal side.

Once the terminal out out, you should replace it and recrimp the terminal to the wire and seal.

Re-pinning the terminals takes a special crimp tool.
The professional version costs about $300,
The one from LSxTune is about $32, http://www.lsxtune.com/shop..._170/products_id/362
This one from radio shack is $9.99. After using the one from LSxTune and the Radio Shack one, I like the radio shack one better.

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2018 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the quick reply fieroguru!!!

Is this the spot (red arrow) I am supposed to use the jewlers screwdriver on pushing right to left? Will it click when unlocked?

-Van
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2018 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VanGTP5000

669 posts
Member since Feb 2017
P.S. I wish there were Radio Shacks around anymore!!!

[This message has been edited by VanGTP5000 (edited 01-25-2018).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2018 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, that is the cavity for the terminal tool/micro screwdriver. The tip of the screwdriver inside the connector needs to be pushed to the left (toward the terminal body). It won't click. Sometimes it helps to push the wire end of the terminal further into the connector, so the catch isn't tight to the connector, which makes it easier to push the catch into the terminal body.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2018 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Yes, that is the cavity for the terminal tool/micro screwdriver. The tip of the screwdriver inside the connector needs to be pushed to the left (toward the terminal body). It won't click. Sometimes it helps to push the wire end of the terminal further into the connector, so the catch isn't tight to the connector, which makes it easier to push the catch into the terminal body.

Ok great. Thanks for the confirmation. I didn't want to break/damage the connector in any way. Tomorrow I will give it a shot pushing it to the left. Then push it out with a paper clip pushing toward the wire side of the plug right?

Thanks again guru!

-Van
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2018 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I was able to get the terminal out of the plug using a jewlers screwdriver and a safety pin to push it out:

Now the difficult part of locating a new terminal! Without any RadioShack stores anymore, I guess I will have to go auto parts store hopping. Unless someone knows what size this terminal is from plug part # PT588?

Thanks,

-Van
tuggajb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2018 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tuggajbSend a Private Message to tuggajbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just gently open the crimps and soader the wire on
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2018 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tuggajb:

Just gently open the crimps and soader the wire on

Any suggestions how to do that without mangling the delicate terminal?

I appreciate the suggestion!

-Van
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2018 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Call up EFI Connection.
https://www.eficonnection.c...s/terminals-and-pins

The GM # for that connector should be 12111754 and they should be able to look up the terminal type/number. If you have a factory service manual, then find the pinout detail for that connector in it and it will also tell you what terminal connector it needs.

It looks like a Dephi Metri Pack 150 female terminal, but have EFI connection double check.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2018 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Call up EFI Connection.

The GM # for that connector should be 12111754 and they should be able to look up the terminal type/number. If you have a factory service manual, then find the pinout detail for that connector in it and it will also tell you what terminal connector it needs.

It looks like a Dephi Metri Pack 150 female terminal, but have EFI connection double check.

Thanks guru!

You mentioned the factory service manual but this plug is for the digital cruise control servo connection from a Pontiac Aztec, Chevy Venture, Buick Rendezvous CXS and a few other cars...not a Fiero.

-Van
PFF
System Bot
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2018 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VanGTP5000

669 posts
Member since Feb 2017

Call up EFI Connection.

Wow Guru...you certainly are a Guru indeed . The gentleman at EFI was fantastic. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

I really appreciate the help!

-Van
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2018 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VanGTP5000:
You mentioned the factory service manual but this plug is for the digital cruise control servo connection from a Pontiac Aztec, Chevy Venture, Buick Rendezvous CXS and a few other cars...not a Fiero.

-Van

Yes, those applications have their own factory service manual too! Factory service manuals are not unique to Fieros.

I don't do an engine swap anymore w/o having the factory service manual for the engine application on hand. It is well worth the $$$ and gives you a wealth of information.

Glad you got what you needed!

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 01-26-2018).]

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2018 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, those applications have their own factory service manual too! Factory service manuals are not unique to Fieros.

I don't do an engine swap anymore w/o having the factory service manual for the engine application on hand. It is well worth the $$$ and gives you a wealth of information.

Glad you got what you needed!

I understand. Again thank you for the info. It is greatly appreciated.

-Van
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2018 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Call up EFI Connection.

Just received my Delphi Metri Pack 150 female terminal pack of 10 from EFI. I only ruined one of them so I have 8 to spare . Plug is re-pinned and ready to go.

Thank you again fieroguru!

-Van

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock