I have always hated how the shifter boot looks. It looks sloppy to me and I think it could be cleaner. I made a custom hollow shaft and a shift knob from Oak to fit my hand. The alarm/door lock light I installed lights up inside the shaft when set. The boot is made from spandex type material. I deleted the ash trays as I think they look cluttered. Let me know what you think. It could be cleaner but I'm happy with it as proof of concept.
Personally, I've always liked the wood work.. I carved mine also out of birch wood like a three finger turtle shell.. and continued with birch platform and instrument clusters.. I eliminated the ashtrays too... however, I have power mirrors. I cut a rectangle out so I could still use the electrical switches.. came out really nice as did yours
Edit to share a picture--- hope you don't mind
[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 01-06-2018).]
Those are some creative and beautiful mods. I am trying to come up with a cleaner way to do my surface area. Maybe Velcro to hold the whole center column cover on? I'm also considering adding a cup holder between the window switches.
I bought mahogany veneer and then cut .062 aluminum to make a new console insert and I also eliminated the ash trays. The problem is/was that the wood veneer and the aluminum had different expansion and contraction rates so as the temperature changed the wood would "blister" and looked horrible. I did it over and used plastic for the base and it worked fine. I made the shifter boot from a flat piece of aluminum .250 thick that I cut in a rectangle with it being open on the inside. I filed it and sanded it until I had a profile that I thought looked good and then I polished it to a bright finish and put a clear coat on it. I had an upholstery shop make a leather boot. To anchor the aluminum frame I drilled holes in each corner and counter sunk them to accept four flat head SS screws that I had previously machined down to a lower overall height and polished. I also did the E-brake in a similar fashion with matching leather.
Originally posted by JMTUT: Those are some creative and beautiful mods. I am trying to come up with a cleaner way to do my surface area. Maybe Velcro to hold the whole center column cover on?
You might look at some engine covers for ideas. They use a ball stud on the base and a rubber boss on the cover to hold the engine cover in place, but still be able to remove with a little effort. This method there is nothing visible from the top side.
Pictures of version 4 attached. VanGTP, I hope you don't mind that I borrowed your mono color idea. I'm trying to decide now if I'll reverse the colors on the radio surround. I like that this car is easy to modify and show personalities of owners.
Recovered my dash with black arctic vinyl. Covering those curves was difficult for someone with zero upholstery experience. I definitely tested my patience. I decided to go with the matching new color from the exterior for the radio and instrument covers. I like it so far. Easy to change if I decide I don't like it in the future.