Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  1987 Iron Duke - Bad head gasket or timing gear?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
1987 Iron Duke - Bad head gasket or timing gear? by TrueWildMan
Started on: 11-07-2017 11:39 AM
Replies: 3 (651 views)
Last post by: Chris Eddy on 11-07-2017 05:44 PM
TrueWildMan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrueWildManSend a Private Message to TrueWildManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Howdy! Long time lurker, first time post.

So, my Iron Duke started making a "ticking" sound that gradually got louder over time. Eventually got to a "slapping" sound. At first I thought "valve train". So, I replaced all the lifters and pushrods. It needed it anyway, as 6/8 lifters were in various stages of collapse.

Sound still there.

Then I noticed that it was more of a hiss/pulse sound than a tapping or slapping, and more on the exhaust side of the engine. Like the exhaust stroke was leaking somewhere. Cool, must be a bad exhaust gasket or manifold. Replaced both.

Sound still there.

Maybe it's a bad spark plug? Replaced all 4.

Sound still there.

So, I've replaced intake gasket, EGR gasket (and checked EGR valve, it's good), valve cover gasket (valves and springs looked good), exhaust gasket and spark plugs and exhaust manifold.

I'm now down to a possible bad head gasket or (I really hope not) cracked head/block. I also thought about the possibility of jumped timing gear, but the fact that it came on gradually seems to rule that out.

Before I go tearing into the head, I figured I'd get a second opinion. Here's a video of what I'm hearing (especially starting/shutting off the engine):

YouTube video of starting engine

Let me know if you don't have access, not sure if I have the permissions correct.

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exhaust manifold is famous leaking or breaking for VIN R dukes for all cars using it.
get a new one because most used ones are already have problems.

More so when exhaust mount spring etc are damaged or missing. Or have bad "dog bone." See my Cave, Torque Strut

Already has a replacement but could be bad or gasket(s) failed for same reason or installed wrong. 87 & older needed spring bolts at exhaust down pipe joint.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-07-2017).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With one of These, you'd be able to easily track down that noise in less than a minute.

Chris Eddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris EddySend a Private Message to Chris EddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My experience (not exhaustive mind you) is that..
A low end issue has a lower frequency (chunk chunk chunk).
Valve noise has a higher frequency (tick tick tick)
and exhaust leak has a thicker tick (thwup thwup thwup).
Sounds like an exhaust leak to me.
Can you wave your hand around and feel the puffing? Without getting burnt?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock