Mighty Matt Thermal Insulation by Larryinkc
Started on: 11-07-2017 11:36 AM
Replies: 9 (468 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 11-10-2017 11:17 AM
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided not to use any insulation on the firewall of my 3800 swap for a cleaner look.
I think it looks good but the downside is cabin heat that the AC can't do much with.

I have been looking at various insulation materials to use on the inside of the firewall and floor and found a BFG Industries product
called Mighty Matt. I am going to try it and see if it helps.

Has anyone tried this on their Fiero, and how does it work if you did?

http://www.bgf.com/products...degrees/mighty-matt/

TIA
Larry

[This message has been edited by Larryinkc (edited 11-07-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks interesting, how much?
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2017 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
West Coast Fiero also has a precut firewall insulation panel for a Fiero that looks pretty good. Similar materials are available elsewhere (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) according to internet reports.

Nelson
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2017 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's listed on Ebay, about $45 to do firewall in 1/4" thick.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SA...AOSwv1RUah4n&vxp=mtr
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2017 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used it on my 3800 install. I did the firewall, and also the trunk. Works just fine. Would definitely recommend it. I used the 1/4" version, with foil on both sides. Going to 1/2" doesn't provide significantly different heat protection.

No heat in the cabin at all. I also used it to wrap ( with metal tie wraps) the AC lines and the portion of the harness that runs along the firewall near the exhaust.
You can just see it in the background here in this picture:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YHbdUN]
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2017 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info, I will use the 1/4" with foil on both sides.

I hadn't thought about the trunk, might as well do it also.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2017 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

It took me right at 20 ft sq to completely insulate my trunk. I happened to use Damplifier Pro insulation (Second Skin Audio) but the trunk sizes are the same.

Nelson
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2017 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Larry,

Have you checked out Lizard Skin. I used it and am very pleased with the results!

http://www.lizardskin.com/

-Van
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2017 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

FYI, I used it on the Outside of the trunk, to keep the heat from getting through the metal skin. And I used spray contact adhesive to install, metal foil tape ( available at your local hardware store) to seal all the edges as well.

------------------
SCREW PHOTOBUCKET. All my pictures are now available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/156871275@N07/albums
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2017 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have it, get the one with foil on both sides, that fiberglass dust that comes off is nasty and less comes off during install with foil on both sides. One cool thing, and this is tested, is it can directly touch V8 headers long term and last.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-10-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock