Started on: 10-17-2017 08:59 PM
Replies: 26 (1033 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 01-27-2018 02:38 PM
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2017 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am having some issues with the standard incandescent bulbs melting part of my housings that cover the brake and turn lights. Is there a current LED offering that is basically a plug in to the original socket that has sufficient brightness as well as light dispersion so that they can be seen from many angles? I know that this was an issue with LEDs several years ago after reviewing a number of PFF threads on this subject and am inquiring if there has been a decent solution in the meantime.

If a workable solution exists, I will implement it in all four vehicles and evaluate the results on this specific vehicle.

Nelson
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2017 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Plasma LEDs from this site in both the red and amber tail lights. They are noticeably brighter than the incandescent bulbs.

https://secure.cougarpartsc...Terms=plasma%20white

I modified my housings with some C4 Corvette tail light reflector parts and bulb sockets. Cut the socket part out of the C4 reflectors with a hole saw and drilled a smaller hole in the Mera reflectors then pop riveted the C4 pieces to the Mera reflectors and sealed them with automotive Goop. It has worked out great so far, probably been close to a year since I did this.

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2017 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Larry,

How is the view from different angles when you are behind the car?

Nelson
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2017 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Side illumination is at least as good or better than than the incandescent bulbs.

As far as I am concerned I want the car behind me to know I am turning or slowing down and they are significantly brighter from behind. I also have the LVL2 LED third brake light from
Black Top Racing.

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2017 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you have to use any resistors or an electronic flasher unit to make the LEDs work properly? Also, did you use clear or red and amber LEDs when you replaced the 1156 and 1157 bulbs?

Nelson
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2017 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Nelson,

I was lucky and the LEDs blinked like they should when I installed them. My plan was for an electronic flasher if I needed it, I used resistors in another car that the flasher is in the BCM and they can get pretty warm. I didn't look at the flasher that is in the Mera so I don't know what kind it is. The front turn bulbs are incandescent.

I used red and amber LEDs, colored LEDs are uaually brighter than white LEDs will be with colored lenses.

Larry
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2017 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

Hi Nelson,

I was lucky and the LEDs blinked like they should when I installed them. My plan was for an electronic flasher if I needed it, I used resistors in another car that the flasher is in the BCM and they can get pretty warm. I didn't look at the flasher that is in the Mera so I don't know what kind it is. The front turn bulbs are incandescent.

I used red and amber LEDs, colored LEDs are uaually brighter than white LEDs will be with colored lenses.

Larry

Were the new bulbs compatible with the existing sockets or did you have to change them out?

Nelson

Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2017 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to change the sockets when I modified the original Mera reflector housings so I can't say if they will work in the sockets that were on the car. My reflectors were very distorted form the heat from the incandescent bulbs and the sockets were pretty loose in them so I put the C4 parts on them.

I used 1157 amber and red LEDs and wired the turns to the bright illumination side of the amber turns.

The end result was well worth the effort.

Larry
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2017 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assume these would replace 2057s as well as the 1157s right?
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2017 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One Mera used four 1156 lights and four more 1157 lights that were creating issues wrt melting lamp holder assemblies. One of my other Meras was all 1157 bulbs with double filaments so I do not really know what the Mera standard lighting configuration is now. Both of these Meras were 88s but I have not looked at the other two 87s to check out their specific wiring/bulb combo.

Larry also replaced the original sockets with the ones used on a Corvette so a stock Mera might have a different socket required.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 11-06-2017).]

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2017 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think 1156s are for backup lights and 1157s are brake/blinker...

I had replaced my 1157s with 2057s a while back but my car (and housings) are neither Mera nor stock Fiero so I may just buy these based on the reviews on the Cougar site and just hope that they work.

Van
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2017 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VanGTP5000:

I think 1156s are for backup lights and 1157s are brake/blinker...

I had replaced my 1157s with 2057s a while back but my car (and housings) are neither Mera nor stock Fiero so I may just buy these based on the reviews on the Cougar site and just hope that they work.

Van

Those two numbers are for the brake and blinker lights. I have no idea as to what is in my backup lights but do need to take a look and see.

Nelson
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to try some new LED lights sometime this week and see how they work out. If this attempt is successful, I will post a list of part numbers as well as approximate costs.

Nelson
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered the above mentioned Cougar Plasma LEDs yesterday...

Van
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started to edit my original post bet it may be better to start a new comment. After pulling all of the tail/turn/stop light bulbs, all of the sockets have dual contacts in them and this should be as delivered from the factory. I located some appropriate dual element replacement LEDs and installed them in the sockets. I also replaced the standard electromechanical flasher units with electronic flashers (LED compatible). As of this moment all of the turn and tail light signals are functional, but the brake/stop lights are not working. I do not know if the standard brake switch is not appropriate for LED lights or if the issue is something else. I will continue to work on this problem and hope that there is a simple/inexpensive solution.

As of this moment, here is a list of parts used as well as the quantity. So far I have less than $125 invested in this experimental project and hope to hold the final cost to a very similar number.

Zevo 1157A LEDs, quantity of 4 (replacement for 2357 and 2057 standard lights)
Zevo 1157R LEDs, quantity of 4 (replacement for 2357 and 2057 standard lights)
Electronic Flasher, EL12, quantity of two or
Electronic Falsher LL552, quantity of two

The EL12 is almost twice as much as the KK552 but supposedly is a higher quality that can control more lights.

All parts were obtained from the local AutoZone.

Suggestions as to how to resolve this one remaining issue are always welcome.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 11-06-2017).]

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have Plasma LEDs from this site in both the red and amber tail lights. They are noticeably brighter than the incandescent bulbs.

https://secure.cougarpartsc...Terms=plasma%20white

Thank you to Larry for posting this Web Link for a great product and vendor! Don at West Coast Classic Cougar shipped Plasma LED (2 Pack) 1157 bulbs to my door for $30.40 in less than 4 days!

Running Lights Comparison: Left Incandescent Sylvania 2057 bulbs vs. Right Plasma LED Red 1157 bulbs from West Coast Classic Cougar

There is a significant difference in the heat given off, brightness and color of the bulbs! Although it is difficult to tell from the picture, the LEDs are vastly superior to the standard incandescent 2057 bulbs I had been using in the past.

Brake Lights Comparison: Left Incandescent Sylvania 2057 bulbs vs. Right Plasma LED Red 1157 bulbs from West Coast Classic Cougar

Again, although difficult to tell from the picture; where these bulbs really shine (pun intended ) is under braking in pure daylight. The difference is undeniable. For safety reasons alone they are a great investment.

I realize this thread is intended for a solution to the tail light problems of the Mera. I just wanted to share my experience as my tail light setup is for dual filament contacts as well. I am hopeful that this may be a solution for Mera owners. I have mentioned to Don that I would be posting here and he is excited at the possibility of our community utilizing his proprietary bulbs. They are made in China, but under very strict quality control standards as explained to me in conversation.

Overall, I am very pleased with the quality of the product and the customer service experience of this vendor. It is too soon to gauge durability as I have just installed them. I hope to have a good long lasting run with them. They already appear to be superior to the many options I have come across both in retail stores like Autozone, Pep Boys, & Advanced Auto and on the web.

I hope this is helpful to others.
Regards,
-Van
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VanGTP5000:

Thank you to Larry for posting this Web Link for a great product and vendor! Don at West Coast Classic Cougar shipped Plasma LED (2 Pack) 1157 bulbs to my door for $30.40 in less than 4 days!

Running Lights Comparison: Left Incandescent Sylvania 2057 bulbs vs. Right Plasma LED Red 1157 bulbs from West Coast Classic Cougar

There is a significant difference in the heat given off, brightness and color of the bulbs! Although it is difficult to tell from the picture, the LEDs are vastly superior to the standard incandescent 2057 bulbs I had been using in the past.

Brake Lights Comparison: Left Incandescent Sylvania 2057 bulbs vs. Right Plasma LED Red 1157 bulbs from West Coast Classic Cougar

Again, although difficult to tell from the picture; where these bulbs really shine (pun intended ) is under braking in pure daylight. The difference is undeniable. For safety reasons alone they are a great investment.

I realize this thread is intended for a solution to the tail light problems of the Mera. I just wanted to share my experience as my tail light setup is for dual filament contacts as well. I am hopeful that this may be a solution for Mera owners. I have mentioned to Don that I would be posting here and he is excited at the possibility of our community utilizing his proprietary bulbs. They are made in China, but under very strict quality control standards as explained to me in conversation.

Overall, I am very pleased with the quality of the product and the customer service experience of this vendor. It is too soon to gauge durability as I have just installed them. I hope to have a good long lasting run with them. They already appear to be superior to the many options I have come across both in retail stores like Autozone, Pep Boys, & Advanced Auto and on the web.

I hope this is helpful to others.
Regards,
-Van

Since I am experimenting with different bulbs, it will be nice to see which one works out to be the best solution. Were all of your bulbs double filament equivalents or were some single filament equivalents? Pricing is a little higher than Auto Zone LEDs but the performance may be worth it.

Nelson
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nelson,

Mine where dual filament. I can confirm that the standard Fiero brake switch is in fact compatible with these particular LEDs from West Coast Classic Cougar. The increased price is well worth it in my opinion. I just hope they last!

-Van

[This message has been edited by VanGTP5000 (edited 11-06-2017).]

Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Van,

I installed mine about a year and a half and a couple of thousand miles ago and they are still working great. They are the brightest LEDs I have found.
They look very similar to the Putco Plasma LED bulbs which are about twice the cost.

I am going to get a pair of the 1156 white LEDs for my reverse lights before next season.

Larry
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Van,

I installed mine about a year and a half and a couple of thousand miles ago and they are still working great. They are the brightest LEDs I have found.
They look very similar to the Putco Plasma LED bulbs which are about twice the cost.

I am going to get a pair of the 1156 white LEDs for my reverse lights before next season.

Larry

Great stuff Larry. Thanks agan!!!

-Van
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:

My red tail/brake lights still do not work even after cutting the white wire so I will try to order some of the West Coast Classic Cougar lights (if they ever return my phone call) and see if they will work on this vehicle.

After determining that all sockets on my 88 Formula based Mera were 1157 types, I pulled the lights on an 87 GT based Mera and saw a mix of 1156 and 1157 sockets. This was unexpected and I do not know if this is because of using the Formula for most of the 88 Meras or if a previous owner modified the wiring/socket. I will be in Georgia tomorrow and while there I will check out the light configuration on my GT platform 88 Mera. Maybe I can learn why the differences in wiring exist. My basic point is do not assume that all Mera vehicles are wired exactly the same because they are not!

Nelson
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2017 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Van and Larry, I just ordered six of the West Coast Cougar Classic 1157 red LEDs to see if I can get them to work with my odd Formula wiring stop/brake lights. If it worked for you, I hope that it also works on this car.

Nelson
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2017 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

Van and Larry, I just ordered six of the West Coast Cougar Classic 1157 red LEDs to see if I can get them to work with my odd Formula wiring stop/brake lights. If it worked for you, I hope that it also works on this car.

Nelson

I am rooting for you Nelson!

-Van
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:

I ordered several red 1157 type LED lights from West Coast Cougar (thanks for the source Larry) and installed one this afternoon in the 1988 Formula based Mera. The bulb has two different lighting levels and uses one for a running light and another as a brake light. They are brighter than the original 1157 bulbs and I believe that they may solve my problem. I will provide a final report later after I get all of the lights back together and check everything out.

The next task is to try out the LEDs on a a GT based Mera. I have a couple of 87s and an 88 that will be the victims over the next few months. The GT platform Meras use a combination of 1156 and 1157 bulbs so I will need to order some more and see how they work. I will also need to convert both flashers to electronic LED capable ones.

Nelson
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2017 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first experimental LED tail/stop/turn light installation was successful. For a Formula based Mera, all rear light connections use use 1157 bulbs. All I had to do was to pull the old bulbs and install the West Coast Classic Cougar version of the 1157 in both red and amber. I do recommend use of a diaelectric grease to minimize corrosion issues. I know that these lights work in this application but another brand of 1157 equivalents did not work properly. You need a bulb with two different LEDs in each socket. The first red section is the running light and the second lights up when you hit the break. Make certain that you have LED/electronic capable flashers installed for the turn signals and hazard lights. Without those types of flashers, the LEDs might not function properly.

When I get back in town, I will try the new lights out on an 87 GT platform Mera. The 1157 equivalent LEDs should work fine in the GT wiring system. However, the 1156 lights remain untested. WCCC has an amber in 1156 but no reds. The challenge will be to find a red 1156 LED that works with our stock wiring.

I will detail the results after the next experiment on the GT and provide a source for the 1156 red LEDs.

Nelson
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2017 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nelson,

Glad that the 1157s worked for you.

-Van
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2018 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is an update on the experimental LED tail/stop/turn lights conversion to LED bulbs in a Mera in both GT and Formula platforms. The 88 Formula used all 1157 (two contact bulbs) for this process. The yellow and red 1157 bulbs from West Coast Cougar Classic dropped right in to the existing sockets without any mods. Much to my surprise, the two 87 GT based Meras have different wiring harnesses and bulbs for the same function. The red lights are all 1157 types for both vehicles. Then the rest of the wiring uses amber 1156 and 1157 bulbs in various colors.

WCCC has the 1157 (two contact) LEDs in amber but do not carry 1156 amber bulbs. Since I know that the Sylvania 1156 bulbs will not fit the existing sockets without modification (and maybe not even then), I decided to try using white 1156 LEDs in place of the 1156 amber bulbs. I was told that the white LEDs may wash out the yellow lenses, but I decided to try them anyway. They arrived yesterday and were installed today. The yellow flasher is much brighter and a somewhat lighter amber/yellow light now, but it is very acceptable to me. The second 87 GT based vehicle now has 1157 red lights that are functional (after installing two LED capable flashers) and I will have to order four more white 1156 LEDs and it should then be fully converted. Three of the Meras have now been basically converted to LEDs for the tail/stop/turn signals.

The last 88 GT based Mera will be converted after painting since it is 150 miles away and I do not know how this vehicle is wired wrt 1156 and 1157 bulbs and what bulb types are used where. I no longer fully trust the light wiring circuits in the maintenance manual to yield the correct information.

Based on my experience you may not be able to predict your LED bulb needs based on the type and model of Fiero that you own without looking at your specific vehicle. I suggest that you pull each individual bulb and verify the type and color at each location. If you need a 1156 amber LED, I believe that substituting a white LED in its place will be satisfactory if you cannot locate a suitable 1156 LED in amber. The LEDs sourced from WCCC are around $15 each delivered which is significantly less that some of the other potential LED sources and appear to be very well made.

Nelson

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock