Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Fastback to notchback conversion.. brakelight don't work.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fastback to notchback conversion.. brakelight don't work. by Erwin03
Started on: 07-31-2017 02:37 AM
Replies: 19 (541 views)
Last post by: Erwin03 on 11-08-2017 12:01 PM
Erwin03

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Erwin03Click Here to visit Erwin03's HomePageSend a Private Message to Erwin03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hello everyone,

A quick question,

I have converted my '86 GT fastback to a Notchback with 84 harnas ( I wanted the old look and did found a 1984 body with harnas)

Now my brakelights don't work. 3rd brakelight does so I guess it must be in the connection at the batery. (they plug in there) Does anyone have an idea what wire it could be?
All I can find is Notchback to fastback conversions and I do not want to mess up since I live in Holland and Fiero parts are quite rare here.

so to sumarise, I used a 1986 GT fastback and took the body and rear light wire harnass off and installed the wireharnas and body of a 1984 Notchback.
no taillight while all the bulbs and fuses seem to be ok. 3rd brakelight works just fine.

thanks in advance for helping me with this problem!

kind regards,

Erwin
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84 plug for C500 is likely different pinout even if the plug looks identical because 84 had no fastbacks.
plus is missing a jumper to "program" the 86 for notchback lights. Jump Pins H8 to C7 on C500.

to move pins
See my Cave, Terminal Access

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Erwin03

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Erwin03Click Here to visit Erwin03's HomePageSend a Private Message to Erwin03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you so much!

I will check this out
You have reminded me again why the Fiero community is such a nice one.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2017 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FYI the same problem occurs in the notchback to fastback conversion, even on the 86 to 88. You have to move a pin to get brake lights even though it's rumored to be plug and play, it's not.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
FYI the same problem occurs in the notchback to fastback conversion, even on the 86 to 88. You have to move a pin to get brake lights even though it's rumored to be plug and play, it's not.
When you change years... Yes, Some pins may move cause this.
Can be PnP only for 1 year or set range of years.
88 85 can have wiring changes like 84. 86-87 can change or be same. Some examples:
84 85 doesn't have high mount brake light.
85 move C500 to right wall but isn't wired for fastback option w/ auto programing jumper above because 85 didn't offer fastback either.
88 can just change wiring w/o warning like FB Brake Lights goes to C500 G7 not J6 as 86-87 FB and NB jumper is C500 G7-H8 not C7-H8

IOW Yes, at minimum you must move FB BL C500 pin if you install 86-87 FB to 88 car or 88 FB to 86-87 car.
FB on 84-65 needs BL wire to BL pedal switch (white wire).

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-04-2017).]

Erwin03

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2017 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Erwin03Click Here to visit Erwin03's HomePageSend a Private Message to Erwin03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ehrm.. that sounds way to difficult to understand eventrough I speak English well..

I have been trying for a while without succes, maybe someone can help with pictures to make it easyer to understand?

I have this picture but not quite sure wich wires to change.

I bought a spare notchback wire-loom for the car and would prefer to change around the pins or rewire them properly so the car works as it should.

Thanks again for all the help this far guys!

it is only the wire harnass to the rear lights since I reused the engine wire that came with the car.

the taillight wire is from an 1984 manual 4 cil notchback and the car was/is a 1986 GT fastback

next to the brakelights not working there are more thyings
my fan is now constantly on, interior lights don't work and my blinker to left is fine, right however is slow

[This message has been edited by Erwin03 (edited 10-17-2017).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2017 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The GT tail light harness is looking for 12v when pedal is pressed on C500 J9.
You need to re-pin your C-500 connector (either side of connector plug).

Edited because I misread his question.....

See below.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 10-18-2017).]

Erwin03

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2017 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Erwin03Click Here to visit Erwin03's HomePageSend a Private Message to Erwin03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The GT tail light harness is looking for 12v when pedal is pressed on C500 J9.
You need to re-pin your C-500 connector (either side of connector plug).

ok so I need to chane one pin into the J9? wich one do I need?

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2017 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, but I misread your post, thought you were going from notchie to fastback.

The fastback and notchie have different wiring between the brake switch and the turn/hazard switch. The fastback does not have a wire between C500 G7 and C500 H8. From C500 H8, the wire goes to C210 P into the turn/hazard switch. You need this circuit to properly run the two element lights for stop/turn. The fastback doesn't use this circuit because the turns are separate from the brake lights.

If you can PM me your email address, I can send you some wiring diagrams that should help you solve your problem.
Erwin03

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2017 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Erwin03Click Here to visit Erwin03's HomePageSend a Private Message to Erwin03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry, but I misread your post, thought you were going from notchie to fastback.

The fastback and notchie have different wiring between the brake switch and the turn/hazard switch. The fastback does not have a wire between C500 G7 and C500 H8. From C500 H8, the wire goes to C210 P into the turn/hazard switch. You need this circuit to properly run the two element lights for stop/turn. The fastback doesn't use this circuit because the turns are separate from the brake lights.

If you can PM me your email address, I can send you some wiring diagrams that should help you solve your problem.

I guess it is more common the other way around.. but I wanted a white notchback so badly..

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2017 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Erwin, I'm with you. At some point I will probably get an 88GT and convert it to notchback. I already have a GT but also want a notchie so I can have the best of all I don't like Formulas that much.

Greg
PFF
System Bot
Erwin03

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2017 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Erwin03Click Here to visit Erwin03's HomePageSend a Private Message to Erwin03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Converting a 88.. with the better brakes and whatnots.. that would have been even more awesome!

I fell in love with the white notchback (bumperpad) when I first saw it in Ferris Bueller's day off
and it kept on my mind for ever. I love my car, itr makes me smile everytime I see it standing there

Erwin03

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2017 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Erwin03Click Here to visit Erwin03's HomePageSend a Private Message to Erwin03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Erwin03

128 posts
Member since Jun 2007
I made this schedule and I hope people don't think I am to nitwitted..

I try to make sense out of this.

I know the black (lights ground, now connects to the fan and that makes it come on permanent now.. What to do there?
Interior lights should be on here somewhere to?

I currently have 5 wires connected in this block,
Black to F0 (ground rearlights? )
Dark green to J8,(no idea)
Light green to F9 (no Idea)
Yellow to H7 (no idea)
Brown to F7 (no idea)

and there is one white wire connecting G7 to H8 ??

What should I do here?

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2017 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you receive the info I sent you via email?
Erwin03

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2017 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Erwin03Click Here to visit Erwin03's HomePageSend a Private Message to Erwin03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you receive the info I sent you via email?

Yes, I got it.. Trying to figure out what to do now..
I have an attention deficit disorder..(ADHD)

In normal life it does not bother me much, but when it comes to seeing things like schematics my brain goes all over the page and I can not make sense of it.
I will ask some friends of mine if they can see what needs to be done here.

Thank you so much for the help this far, I am sure someone gets what is written in the paiges you send me

I am horrible with technical schematics

[This message has been edited by Erwin03 (edited 10-21-2017).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2017 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Schematics sometimes look like.spaghetti.

Just follow one circuit at a time, verify it is correct in the car, go on to the next wire.

I suspect you need to add the white jumper wire in the C500 chassis side block.
Erwin03

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2017 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Erwin03Click Here to visit Erwin03's HomePageSend a Private Message to Erwin03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Phew! I got brakelights again.. we spend 4 hours on this and it now has worked out fine.
Next on the list is to repaint my interior

thanks so much for the help!
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2017 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you share the details?
Erwin03

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2017 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Erwin03Click Here to visit Erwin03's HomePageSend a Private Message to Erwin03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I can.

The issue was that there was the stop signal missing. I cut The F0 wire and checked if the fan still works (witch it does and I can also turn it on with the airco button)
and we added the J6 to the harnass

we checked by one sitting in the caqr, pressing the brakes on and off and another one checking the outgoing box (on the car) for a signal. we found it in the J6 then added a pin in that location on the wire to the taillights and connected it with the brakelights.

Erwin03

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2017 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Erwin03Click Here to visit Erwin03's HomePageSend a Private Message to Erwin03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can you share the details?

Thanks for the help and the schematics!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock