Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Ignition Control Modules on Ebay---cheap (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Ignition Control Modules on Ebay---cheap by hcforde
Started on: 06-19-2017 11:38 AM
Replies: 41 (1041 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 06-23-2017 01:44 AM
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone ever used any of ICM offered on Ebay? They are model #LX340 for the 2.8L. & models for the 2.5L

Some are under $10.00 with free shipping. 60day warranty and year warrantee can be bought for $3.99(third party). I am aware of the "you get what you pay for" scenario but sometimes you get gouged by brand names also. In looking at the number sold and no negative feedback it has me curious if anyone here has bought and used them.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy 4 and keep the extras in the car, test them for us.
make sure you use heat sink compound under them.
Chris Eddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris EddySend a Private Message to Chris EddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be hard to differentiate between store bought, on line, and ebay, aftermarket or OEM, unless you somehow kept track of the manufacturer. Ebay could be from anywhere, made by unknown. If you said, "I bought one off of ebay and it works like a charm", that still leaves 55 other vendors on ebay with other parts.
So I am not sure how we would keep track of good source / bad source like that.
tyro_2004_2004

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tyro_2004_2004Send a Private Message to tyro_2004_2004Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad this post came up! I purchased a ICM off EBay by seller aero_sparks about 2 months ago and it's been working great. It costed me only 8.99 with free shipping. I was alittle nervous at first buying it but at the auto parts stores they want around 60.00! Which is crazy! So despite my nervousness I purchased the ICM and I'm very happy I did! I hope this helps! I think the seller has more ICM's for sale on EBay. Btw I am not associated with the seller what so ever and I am not receiving anything from posting this. This is just my experience with the Cheap ICM's on EBay. Here a link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/261422017352

[This message has been edited by tyro_2004_2004 (edited 06-19-2017).]

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Buy 4 and keep the extras in the car, test them for us.
make sure you use heat sink compound under them.

One of the items has a 1 for feed back because the ICM did not come with heatsink compound. I discounted his feedback all together.

The other interesting thing though was someone was selling the 2 screws that held the ICM in place for $12.99 for the set of 2, LOL
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hcforde

543 posts
Member since Mar 2013

Originally posted by Chris Eddy:

It would be hard to differentiate between store bought, on line, and ebay, aftermarket or OEM, unless you somehow kept track of the manufacturer. Ebay could be from anywhere, made by unknown. If you said, "I bought one off of ebay and it works like a charm", that still leaves 55 other vendors on ebay with other parts.
So I am not sure how we would keep track of good source / bad source like that.

What TYRO said... Now we have a name of a seller and a brand to focus on.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hcforde:

The other interesting thing though was someone was selling the 2 screws that held the ICM in place for $12.99 for the set of 2, LOL

I hear they're cheaper by the bushel.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I hear they're cheaper by the bushel.

Yeah, these screws are worth their weight in gold...LOL!!
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had some trouble with import/no-name brands....I now have a AC/Delco USA made one....It is holding up very well.....The reason I went for this one over the others was "Word on the street" was that these held up well to the heat, etc....And for heat sink compound, I used Artic Silver...I have a spare module in a small box w/ a tube of the compound in the front compartment....Don't forget the tools to change it out!
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I have had some trouble with import/no-name brands....I now have a AC/Delco USA made one....It is holding up very well.....The reason I went for this one over the others was "Word on the street" was that these held up well to the heat, etc....And for heat sink compound, I used Artic Silver...I have a spare module in a small box w/ a tube of the compound in the front compartment....Don't forget the tools to change it out!

I know, but really as long as they have been making them and the economies of scale they have it can't be that difficult to make these so ACDelco is probably putting $.10 worth of better material in them and charging 5 times as much. I like the idea of having spares and these could fit the bill nicely to get you home.
tyro_2004_2004

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tyro_2004_2004Send a Private Message to tyro_2004_2004Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to update the ICM I purchased on EBay: it did not come with the screws or the thermal grease. I how ever used Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty Grease because it's made for high temp applications and can be used for electrical connections. I did put new screws in for a better ground from my local True Value hardware store. I heard from other posts that having a perfect ground and a good high temp. grease is really the key for keeping your ICM lasting a long time.

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tyro_2004_2004:

I how ever used Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty Grease because it's made for high temp applications and can be used for electrical connections.

That is useless for this application. Either use the proper heat sink compound... or buy a whole lotta replacement ICMs.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-19-2017).]

tyro_2004_2004

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tyro_2004_2004Send a Private Message to tyro_2004_2004Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm very happy with what I used. Thank you
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why didn't you use toothpaste?
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently bought the AcDelco ICM on ebay. $24.99 and came in Delco box and with thermal grease. Looks genuine box and all.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New...p2057872.m2749.l2649

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

tyro_2004_2004

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tyro_2004_2004Send a Private Message to tyro_2004_2004Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Spoon for the info.

Ebay ICM's Update:

Seller: dtsesales, $24.99 Free Shipping, 1 year Warranty, ACDelco, With thermal grease, 99.8% Positive Rating. Trusted
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272564490976

Seller: aero_spark, $8.99 Free Shipping, Life Time Warranty. No brand name, No thermal grease, 99.9% Postive Rating. Trusted
https://www.ebay.com/itm/261422017352

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know what? When you are sitting on the side of the freeway with cars whizzing past you at 90 miles an hour, you are 2 hrs away from home (or more) and it's 95* outside I think you won't give a rats about the 50 bucks you saved on an ICM. Its simple to change but frankly I'd rather not unless I had to in those conditions. And those are just the kind of conditions they will fail in, Murphy's law and all.

If only there were a like button here Patrick

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wgpierce:

You know what? When you are sitting on the side of the freeway with cars whizzing past you at 90 miles an hour, you are 2 hrs away from home (or more) and it's 95* outside I think you won't give a rats about the 50 bucks you saved on an ICM. Its simple to change but frankly I'd rather not unless I had to in those conditions. And those are just the kind of conditions they will fail in, Murphy's law and all.

If only there were a like button here Patrick

I understand what you are saying but.......AC Delco's fail also. That is why there is an aftermarket. You are also paying for the name and the marketing expense. By the same token when that AC Delco ICM fails and you are sitting on the side of the freeway with cars whizzing past you at 90 miles an hour, you are 2 hrs away from home (or more) and it's 95* outside I think you won't give a rats if that ICM you are installing cost $10.00 or $50.00. For a mission critical part it would be a good idea to test it before relying on it as a spare also, regardless of the brand name it may or may not carry.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The issue is if it fails the test is invalid on the ICM because heat sink compound wasn't used.
tyro_2004_2004

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tyro_2004_2004Send a Private Message to tyro_2004_2004Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't believe that makes the ICM invalid by using a different heat sink compound. The very cheap ICM works and has been working for more than 2 months. I use my Fiero SE 1986 V6 2.8L as a daily driver from Early Spring till late Fall. So its getting a great deal of testing in seeing all conditions in beautiful Michigan. -10 dregrees too 100 degrees outside.

But I think some people are missing the point of this post. Its to determine if the brand and the amount spent on the ICM really mean something to the failure rate and I honesty don't think it does. I believe the cheap, no name brand will hold up as well as a $60.00 ICM from your local auto parts store. I believe most of the ICM fails came from improper grounds. But we need more information and experiences from others.

I'm very glad that hcforde started this post! It's going to be good for the Fiero Community

[This message has been edited by tyro_2004_2004 (edited 06-20-2017).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys,
Yes use Heatsink grease and good screws helps a lot but a big issue is many replace the ICM and never bother to check the rest of HEI system.
Dead Modules are often a symptom for other dying parts.
Example: Iffy plugs etc on High Volt side can wreck the coil(s) and/or module. (DIS has same problem for this.)
See my Cave, HE Ignition

I how ever used Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty Grease because it's made for high temp applications and can be used for electrical connections.
This? https://lucasoil.com/produc...ra-heavy-duty-grease
Is Not rated for this use and chemicals in many greases are conductive and/or wreck many plastic and rubber parts.

Grease they come w/ is simple dielectric silicon product. Can work but not the best.
Best are Heatsink "grease" types but many use way too much.
Cheap white compound is good but Big problem is Radio Shack is gone in most places and you can't find it at most local stores. Many other electronic outlets like Digikey don't handle very small packages.
Some use best grease for PC CPU but most of them are hype and expensive like many "silver" greases are just Aluminum powder in silicon oil but cost is often $15+ for a gram or 3 of product.

If you can't find HS or dielectric grease when you need it...
Use Brake Grease you find a many auto parts stores. Won't eat or swell plastic and "rubber" and won't wash off/out of the spot applied to. Also doesn't run even in high heat use. BUT will flow in the joint so you don't need a lot or spread over the part.
(Many HS greases doesn't flow enough for use on big parts like DIS ICM. GM installs most DIS modules dry but while that works... Water and worse can get in and cause corrosion problems.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

This? Lucas X-TRA Heavy Duty Grease
Is Not rated for this use and chemicals in many greases are conductive and/or wreck many plastic and rubber parts.

Ogre, if someone is "very happy" to be using barbecue sauce as sunscreen... that's totally their prerogative!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-20-2017).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why didn't you use toothpaste?

Years from now, people will be remembering this post and actually using toothpaste.... Be real interesting if it actually works!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Years from now, people will be remembering this post and actually using toothpaste.... Be real interesting if it actually works!

Toothpaste would probably work just as well as Lucas X-TRA Heavy Duty Grease under an ICM... and the truth is, it more closely resembles actual heat sink compound.

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Guys,

Some use best grease for PC CPU but most of them are hype and expensive like many "silver" greases are just Aluminum powder in silicon oil but cost is often $15+ for a gram or 3 of product.

We use to sand and polish the cpu AND the heatsink with high grit wet-or-dry sand paper and then carefully put a thin layer of heatsink compound on...it was an art and a science.
tyro_2004_2004

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tyro_2004_2004Send a Private Message to tyro_2004_2004Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting! I have built dozens of computers from scratch but never heard of that process before.

[This message has been edited by tyro_2004_2004 (edited 06-20-2017).]

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Interesting! I have built dozens of computers from scratch but never heard of that process before.

It was done for overclocking
http://www.overclock.net/t/...our-cpu-and-heatsink

http://forums.extremeovercl...wthread.php?t=314766

We would also choose certain lots of CPU's that had a better history of being over clocked..
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hcforde:
It was done for overclocking
Yes and even that is a lot of BS in many cases because most DIY builders can't make the parts fully flat using common tools available to the public. When you look w/ lab equipment, many end up Worse after lapping vs when they bought the parts. IOW May be mirrored but 1 or both surfaces are convex etc.
I build PC for all kinds of work for many years and cringe when dealing w/ most overclocker and gamer people. Very few actually knows what they are doing.

I've been using Permatex BG for CPU for years too and works better then most HS greases. Any CPU w/ OE heat spreaders on top. Not sure it's safe for direct contact w/ CPU silicon like old AMD Athlon. (Some HS greases have issues w/ CPU w/o spreader too. Many current Intel AMD and other Mobile CPUs don't have heat spreaders because of space restrictions.)
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always bought Autozone ones for $20 that came with free lifetime replacements. I tried an OEM AC Delco once from a Pontiac dealer and it lasted just over a week...and cost 4 times as much and gave absolutely NO warranty on electrical parts.
tyro_2004_2004

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tyro_2004_2004Send a Private Message to tyro_2004_2004Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I shop at Autozone a lot. But I don't remember a ICM for $20.00 there? Was it the durlast brand?
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread is entertaining.

OP, use the AC Delco and sleep peacefully. They can be had for $25 new on Ebay. Are there counterfeits on Ebay? I'm sure there are, so just use a reputable seller from the US, preferably one that is shown as "AC Delco Authorized Seller." They are all over Ebay. The debate about ACDelco parts, and whether they are worth the extra expense, is being mitigated each passing day because their prices are being driven down by internet shoppers. AC Delco fuel pumps are a great example of that (I got an AC Delco Fuel Pump kit from Autozone for $25).

And I used Super Lube Heat Sink Compound #98003 on my ICM. Rated high and specifically notes on the tube that it is good for ignition systems. Can be found at Grainger, though I found it cheaper on . . . wait for it . . . Ebay. The AC Delco ICM came with compound but, based on accusations that it might only be dielectric grease, I chose to play it safe.

Nothing for nothing, when I went to buy the Artic Silver at a computer store, the guy was adamant that it was NOT what I needed. He said that, when exposed to humidity and adverse weather conditions in a car, that it would harden -- that Artic Silver is meant for indoor IT gear only. He recommended that I get something meant for my application. That's when I went looking and found the Super Lube Heat Sink. Take it for what it's worth.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USMUCL:

This thread is entertaining.

OP, use the AC Delco and sleep peacefully. They can be had for $25 new on Ebay. Are there counterfeits on Ebay? I'm sure there are, so just use a reputable seller from the US, preferably one that is shown as "AC Delco Authorized Seller." They are all over Ebay. The debate about ACDelco parts, and whether they are worth the extra expense, is being mitigated each passing day because their prices are being driven down by internet shoppers. AC Delco fuel pumps are a great example of that (I got an AC Delco Fuel Pump kit from Autozone for $25).

The hard part these days in verifying genuine - quality AC DELCO.
ag9123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Toothpaste would probably work just as well as Lucas X-TRA Heavy Duty Grease under an ICM... and the truth is, it more closely resembles actual heat sink compound.

4 out of 5 dentists that drive Fieros recommend it!!!

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I have said many times before, when you buy Chinese the part could be very good or it could be very bad. In this case the OP may have hit on a well made product and for $9.99 shipped its a great buy. If you have a stock 2.8L/3.1L/3.4L P/R engine is always a good idea to carry an extra module and a set of new screws.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

tyro_2004_2004

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tyro_2004_2004Send a Private Message to tyro_2004_2004Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your right about that! My $8.99 is going still going strong and I ordered another one for a spare.

[This message has been edited by tyro_2004_2004 (edited 06-21-2017).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2017 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nothing for nothing, when I went to buy the Artic Silver at a computer store, the guy was adamant that it was NOT what I needed. He said that, when exposed to humidity and adverse weather conditions in a car, that it would harden -- that Artic Silver is meant for indoor IT gear only. He recommended that I get something meant for my application. That's when I went looking and found the Super Lube Heat Sink. Take it for what it's worth.
Hate to tell you but Many to Most will "dry out" even use for inside building w/ HVAC. I've cleaned many HS on many things not just PC's and many have lost the oil after 1-5 years, most after 5-8+ years.
Silicon and other "oils" are mainly a "carrier" for whatever filler for actually removing heat. ("Oil" can be anything and far too many to list.)

He did save you from spending money on Arctic and other pasts. Small amount of past, 0.2oz, in a retail package cost the makers likely <$1 but many vendors charge you $8 to $15+. Arctic pasts are Zinc Oxide (30-85%) Aluminum Oxide(<5%) and Boron Nitride (<8%) (Exact % depend on past. See http://www.arcticsilver.com/msds.htm ) vs. "Standard" white like Super Lube Heat Sink is just Zinc Oxide and "oil".
AS5 0.2 oz is $8 means 1oz is $64 vs many white compounds are often sell for 1oz @ ~$5 or less. Even If AS5 is better, most users won't see it to justify the high cost.

Home Depot sells Super Lube Heat Sink (3oz) but not in many store... can ship to store/home for ~$6 each.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2017 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by USMUCL:
Hate to tell you but Many to Most will "dry out" even use for inside building w/ HVAC. I've cleaned many HS on many things not just PC's and many have lost the oil after 1-5 years, most after 5-8+ years.
Silicon and other "oils" are mainly a "carrier" for whatever filler for actually removing heat. ("Oil" can be anything and far too many to list.)

He did save you from spending money on Arctic and other pasts. Small amount of past, 0.2oz, in a retail package cost the makers likely <$1 but many vendors charge you $8 to $15+. Arctic pasts are Zinc Oxide (30-85%) Aluminum Oxide(<5%) and Boron Nitride (<8%) (Exact % depend on past. See http://www.arcticsilver.com/msds.htm ) vs. "Standard" white like Super Lube Heat Sink is just Zinc Oxide and "oil".
AS5 0.2 oz is $8 means 1oz is $64 vs many white compounds are often sell for 1oz @ ~$5 or less. Even If AS5 is better, most users won't see it to justify the high cost.

Home Depot sells Super Lube Heat Sink (3oz) but not in many store... can ship to store/home for ~$6 each.[/QUOTE]

YEP, many computer people would cake it on. Ideally if you did it right you could barely tell it was there. Then those that were in the know would clean the components and reapply ever so often. Different environments need different requirements.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2017 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And I used Super Lube Heat Sink Compound #98003 on my ICM. Rated high and specifically notes on the tube that it is good for ignition systems. Can be found at Grainger, though I found it cheaper on . . . wait for it . . . eBay.

And for those of you who might have two or three ICMs to deal with, this stuff comes in 30 lb buckets. Seriously!

All kidding aside, this particular heat sink compound looks like a good option for use under our Fiero ICMs. But maybe get a 3 oz tube.
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2017 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[bHate to tell you but Many to Most will "dry out" even use for inside building w/ HVAC. I've cleaned many HS on many things not just PC's and many have lost the oil after 1-5 years, most after 5-8+ years.

Home Depot sells Super Lube Heat Sink (3oz) but not in many store... can ship to store/home for ~$6 each.
].[/QUOTE]

Well, I hate to tell you, but I can't even tell if you are saying Artic Silver is good or bad for our ICMs. Whatever your position, I was only passing on what that guy said. I don't know if he was right, but it was enough to make me take pause and do more research. I was confident in the Super Lube stuff after doing research, so all's well that ends well.

[This message has been edited by USMUCL (edited 06-22-2017).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2017 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to take my ICM off yearly to clean off the grease, and re-apply fresh CPU heatsink grease. Part of the annual tuneup which includes removing the plugs, followed by inspection, cleaning, and gapping.

Once I stretched it to two years, and then I had misfire problems... which went away with the subsequent re-greasing. I think I saw water underneath the ICM that time.

It's difficult to screw the ICM tight to the distributor baseplate, because doing so will cause the flimsy baseplate and ICM to distort, reducing contact between the parts.

My new Fiero won't have an ICM.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock