Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  My 1988 Mera restoration and modifications. (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 1988 Mera restoration and modifications. by DeLorean00
Started on: 04-30-2017 01:37 PM
Replies: 143 (3747 views)
Last post by: mmeyer86gt/gtp on 06-28-2017 12:52 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2017 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have heard many people who have T top cars say they wish they were not T tops. if I had one I would keep it, but I probably wouldn't make one a T top that wasn't.
IP: Logged
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2017 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
308 Ferrari's and other exotic cars that some use kits to copy these cars do not have T tops. They have a targe top. In my opinion with the tops in it looks sorta wrong and really looks wrong with the tops out.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2017 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, everyone, for your input! I absolutely appreciate the honesty. I am far from decided on which way I want to go with the roof. In person, the car looks amazing without the black vinyl, but in photos, it looks much better with the black roof. I already have the big piece of black 3M vinyl if I ever want to go back to how it was before minus the flaws the old decal had. Rodney's idea of making it a slick top and just replacing the sunroof with a no sunroof panel has me thinking. I am going to be painting some parts of the car next week and I am going to see how well that goes. Old red paint is hard to match perfectly, but I had a paint shop use a camera to get it as close as possible and its really really close. I might end up just picking up a non-sunroof top and painting it, if it comes out great I will put it on.

Rodney, I know you sell the Ferrari center cap decals, but do you carry or know where I can get a cap small enough to fit into the opening of the wheel when the lug cover is off? People have mixed opinions about the wheels with the full center caps and lots of people think they look better without.

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 05-11-2017).]

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2017 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today was far too busy to make real progress. But I did have time to unpack my create from Rodney Dickman and marvel in the fantastic workmanship of his products!

This is Rodney Dickman's euro style bumper that comes with the correct OEM turn signal mounting. I have added real Ferrari 308 euro turn lenses, the difference is they have a bit of clear in them. I liked the look so I bought a pair.

This is his bumper just out of the box with my two lenses on. It looks so good you can mount it just as is. However, I am going to paint it with SEM trim paint to match my rear bumper.

Next is the original Mera sales brochure. These also are available from Rodney Dickman. I have tried to picture them in a way they are viewable but hopefully not so clearly they can be printed. If Rodney has a issue I will watermark them or remove them.

That is all for today. I am hoping to make some big changes this weekend. Stay tuned I have more cool stuff arriving each day.
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2017 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your Mera looks great.

I recently put one of Rodney's bumpers on my Mera, quality and design is typical Rodney first rate and it really looks good on the car.

Rodney sent me a couple of foam pieces to use as dividers between the turn signal and parking light bulbs. I put aluminum tape on both sides of the foam and so far it works good to keep the illumination separate.

I would like to do something similar for the rear bumper.

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2017 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking good. please keep us up to date on the development
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2017 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

Your Mera looks great.

I recently put one of Rodney's bumpers on my Mera, quality and design is typical Rodney first rate and it really looks good on the car.

Rodney sent me a couple of foam pieces to use as dividers between the turn signal and parking light bulbs. I put aluminum tape on both sides of the foam and so far it works good to keep the illumination separate.

I would like to do something similar for the rear bumper.

Thank you very much! Would you happen to have pictures of your car with the new bumper? I would love to check it out.

Originally posted by notwohorns:

looking good. please keep us up to date on the development

Thank you! I absolutely will.

Well, I officially jumped in with both feet. Yesterday I sold my other car because I simply wasn't driving it at ALL with the Mera now in my life. But it was very painful to say goodbye.

This is the car I just sold yesterday. On the outside, it's a plain run of the mill older Mercedes-Benz CL, however, that is where the regular stops. This car is a numbers car. They only built 125 units worldwide and only 80 CL65 AMGs came to the US for on the model year of 2005. The MSRP was $179,000. Under the hood is a Twin Turbo V12 pumping out 621HP and a world shifting 738 lb. ft. This is an amazing car, it rocket ship fast and private jet level luxury. It has heated, air conditioned, massaging seats. Alcantara headliner, finest woods and leather money can buy. I loved this car, but I just couldn't stand seeing it sit and get dusty while I spend all my spare time on the Mera. So with much thought, I said goodbye.

This leaves me in an interesting spot. The Mera is my only personal car currently. I have a take home company car and my wife has a Lexus IS-F. So if I need to run errands or visit my family I am going to have to drive the Mera. I think that is actually a good thing. It will force me to make the Mera a great reliable car and it won't sit endlessly in a garage but rather driven often which I feel is better for it anyway.

My new garage layout.

Bottom line I am excited about the future!

------------------

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2017 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I put one seat in. I am happy with how it looks and cannot wait to finish the passenger seat. Right now the bolts are only finger tight because I am taking the seats out so I can dye the dash and console along with some other upgrades.

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had some slow time this afternoon and wanted to get something done, then I remembered had the sun visors from Russ88TTop left to install. His work is second to none and it was a joy to install. It is a super small change but it is one more thing that matched the theme I am going for.

Now on to a bit of disappointment. I spent about 30 minutes removing my steering wheel and getting ready to mount my new one only to find out the eBay sell sent me one for a BMW E36. The auction said FITS PONTIAC FIERO in its title. Not that part finder thing on eBay but rather the seller said it would fit. Also, he is from Europe and it says no returns. Oh well, I started one.

Since I had the wheel off I decided to remove the dot matrix trim from the gauge cluster. I also took the opportunity to remove the Ferrari decals that were stuck directly to the cluster lens, more on that later. While the dot matrix trim was off I covered it in carbon fiber vinyl. I had thought about recovering another cluster trim panel because I have a few but none of them are dot matrix, so I recovered the original one. My thoughts are that someday someone or myself will remove this carbon fiber decal and when they do they will find they have all the original dash trim inside the car and won't have to hunt down more.

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 05-14-2017).]

sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2017 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The seat looks good.
Think you made the right choice selling the Mercedes. Sounds like fun to drive, but looks just as boring as any other car on the road.

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 05-14-2017).]

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds like a corvette steering wheel in your future
PFF
System Bot
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

The seat looks good.
Think you made the right choice selling the Mercedes. Sounds like fun to drive, but looks just as boring as any other car on the road.

Thank you!

Yeah, it was a run of the mill looking car, but it was a rocket ship to drive. However, I could not comfortably do the work I want to on the Mera and still pay car payments insurance and upkeep on the Mercedes.

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

sounds like a corvette steering wheel in your future

That would be awesome! I have to get through this first revision before I tear it apart again!

Today I got some more progress done. One of the previous owners decided to put Ferrari horses on the gauges. Not a bad idea, however, they just stuck the decals right onto the gauge lens. It looked horrible so I had to address it.

So I took the gauge cluster out and removed the decals and polished the lens back to perfection. The gauges themselves were in excellent condition.

I got out my old favorite water transfer model car decals and picked out a couple I liked. The best part about this is in the future when I turn it back into a Mera these will be easily removed with a little water and a finger nail.

I carefully laid out the decals where I thought looked best.

And a little water and steady hand later they were done. I am pretty happy with the result.

Next, I worked on my fog light switch. I am adding Rodney Dickmans Mera updated bumper grill and fog lights. I didn't want a fog light switch to look like an aftermarket part. So I dug around a bit and came up with this fog light switch off like a 1989 Pontiac Grand Am. I think it looks pretty close to stock, and I think it will blend nicely with the Fiero dash.

So I eyeballed where I thought would look the best and made a mark in pencil.

Next, I dremeled it out and fit the switch. I think it looks pretty stock and won't draw any extra attention.

What do you think?
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

Today was far too busy to make real progress. But I did have time to unpack my create from Rodney Dickman and marvel in the fantastic workmanship of his products!

This is Rodney Dickman's euro style bumper that comes with the correct OEM turn signal mounting. I have added real Ferrari 308 euro turn lenses, the difference is they have a bit of clear in them. I liked the look so I bought a pair.

This is his bumper just out of the box with my two lenses on. It looks so good you can mount it just as is. However, I am going to paint it with SEM trim paint to match my rear bumper.

By far the most difficult part of that bumper kit to make is the aluminum grill. A lot of labor goes into making that aluminum grill. It is a work of art.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

By far the most difficult part of that bumper kit to make is the aluminum grill. A lot of labor goes into making that aluminum grill. It is a work of art.

Rodney, thank you for building that kit and packaging it so perfectly. That crate is no joke. I do not like the Mera bumper and you did exactly what I wanted to do, and saved me all the fabrication work. If you did not sell this part, I would have bought a fiberglass 308 bumper and spent forever reworking its shape and size to fit. That would have been hundreds of hours of work. There is a place in town here that sells a lot of Ferrari parts that have been made in fiberglass so I had already looked into it before I saw your kit.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney, I know you sell the Ferrari center cap decals, but do you carry or know where I can get a cap small enough to fit into the opening of the wheel when the lug cover is off? People have mixed opinions about the wheels with the full center caps and lots of people think they look better without.

I'm looking at a 88 Mera center cap I have on hand from many years ago and it has 14026820 on the back. This is a standard OEM GM cap for the GT cast aluminum rims. But if my memory is good I thought I always remembered the stock GM Fiero center cap did not fit the Cromadora rims. If you can get a hold of a stock Fiero aluminum rim center cap try it and see if it fits. I remember Jim at IRM telling me many years ago he had a bag of left over Cromadora blank center caps caps on hand because they sold out the left over Cromadora rims. To look at the caps on my 88 Mera I would need to remove a rim. I'm probably not going to do that.

If it needs a special cap one could have discs turned and use a washer inside and weld a stud to the disc. Put a nut on from the back with a long extension.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From experience I will say that it is possible to neatly silicone a stock Fiero (blank) center cap to a Chromnadora wheel. I typically install the decal on the blank center cap a few days prior to installing them on the rim (with or without silicone). This promotes complete drying and eliminates the nast habit of sliding off the center cap if they are both wet and in a vertical position. I also have a set of original 88 Mera center caps from a Bob Bracey car and they appear to be almost identical to stock Fiero caps. The biggest problem that I had was the edge clips getting broken and the center caps falling off. That is when I went to the silicone. I also have been able to successfully press them out of the wheel using a sensor wrench or large socket.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 05-15-2017).]

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

I'm looking at a 88 Mera center cap I have on hand from many years ago and it has 14026820 on the back. This is a standard OEM GM cap for the GT cast aluminum rims. But if my memory is good I thought I always remembered the stock GM Fiero center cap did not fit the Cromadora rims. If you can get a hold of a stock Fiero aluminum rim center cap try it and see if it fits. I remember Jim at IRM telling me many years ago he had a bag of left over Cromadora blank center caps caps on hand because they sold out the left over Cromadora rims. To look at the caps on my 88 Mera I would need to remove a rim. I'm probably not going to do that.

If it needs a special cap one could have discs turned and use a washer inside and weld a stud to the disc. Put a nut on from the back with a long extension.

Thank you for everything! And Rodney I couldn't think of asking you to remove your wheel, you have gone out of your way to help so much as is. I have a few things I am working on with the center caps and you gave me some ideas. I will share what I come up with.

Originally posted by hnthomps:

From experience I will say that it is possible to neatly silicone a stock Fiero (blank) center cap to a Chromnadora wheel. I typically install the decal on the blank center cap a few days prior to installing them on the rim (with or without silicone). This promotes complete drying and eliminates the nast habit of sliding off the center cap if they are both wet and in a vertical position. I also have a set of original 88 Mera center caps from a Bob Bracey car and they appear to be almost identical to stock Fiero caps. The biggest problem that I had was the edge clips getting broken and the center caps falling off. That is when I went to the silicone. I also have been able to successfully press them out of the wheel using a sensor wrench or large socket.

Nelson

Thank you for the help!

I ordered a few different universal center caps the correct size from eBay. I am sure one of the sets I can make work. I also ordered a 4 sets of 4 Ferrari horse center cap resin decals because they were super cheap and I figured I will mess up some or ruin them when I get tires.

Today, I took the dash out and disassembled it completely. I thoroughly cleaned it and prepped the plastic, followed by adhesion promoter and then redyed it black to match the rest of my upgraded interior.

Also, I noticed that the heater core started to leak yesterday so I have a brand new one coming, and while I was at it I ordered a new AC compressor, accumulator, o-ring kit, orifice tube, and new AC belt and serpentine belt. I also rebuilt the climate control panel inside the car. So all the heat and air will be brand new.

I also wired in my Pioneer 1.5 din radio. It fits the Fiero dash perfectly. I wanted to get as close to a period correct radio as I can. I am still looking for a top of the line old school 80's Alpine, but this will work for now. Also, I added Bluetooth streaming audio to it, Pioneer has used the same IP-bus for years so I can add things like Bluetooth on a 90's deck.

Also, don't mind the wiring. I cleaned it up after this and wrapped it.

turbo86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's awesome how you added BT to that radio. Was that easy to do? That's the kind of radio I'd love to put in my Fiero...with BT somehow.

If interested I do have an Alpine 7980 3-disc in-dash CD player with separate radio tuner, Alpine 3339 11-band EQ with display that mounts on sunvisor, and an Alpine 7523 amp, since the head unit doesn't have one. It was the mack-daddy CD player back in the day. I used to have it in my '89 Nissan Stanza and it was a great, great system. It's been sitting in a box since 1997. I think I still have a Punch 45 down there too. But that might go in my new-to me '93 Miata. I could part with the system. No idea what it's worth though.

Beautiful car though!!!!
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turbo86se:

That's awesome how you added BT to that radio. Was that easy to do? That's the kind of radio I'd love to put in my Fiero...with BT somehow.

If interested I do have an Alpine 7980 3-disc in-dash CD player with separate radio tuner, Alpine 3339 11-band EQ with display that mounts on sunvisor, and an Alpine 7523 amp, since the head unit doesn't have one. It was the mack-daddy CD player back in the day. I used to have it in my '89 Nissan Stanza and it was a great, great system. It's been sitting in a box since 1997. I think I still have a Punch 45 down there too. But that might go in my new-to me '93 Miata. I could part with the system. No idea what it's worth though.

Beautiful car though!!!!

Thank you!

As for adding Bluetooth, I wish I could claim some that I cobbled something together on my workbench of spare parts, but alas I simply ordered a part on eBay and wired it in. Right now this only allows me to have Bluetooth streaming audio, however, Pioneer makes a Bluetooth calling IP-Bus unit. Sadly I had one but I sold it when I removed the radio from my last car never picturing I would buy this deck and it would work. The reason I don't have one currently is they are over $300 new and I am waiting for the right used one to show up on eBay.

Here is the eBay link to the Bluetooth adapter.
That Alpine stuff is AWESOME! I am going to send you a PM.

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DeLorean00

4251 posts
Member since Aug 2005
More progress today.

I really love the original Mera wheels. I like them both with the large center cap that covers the lugs and without. But for some time I am going to take the large center caps off and put on small Ferrari caps and exposed lugs. My Mera still has its original Formula lug nuts, but the beauty caps are long gone. While I have a large assortment of used old caps I decided it would only look correct with some brand new ones.

Here is the wheel without the large center cap and without the lugs beauty caps.

Here are my brand new beauty caps.

And here they are installed. I personally really like the look of shiny black caps on the silver finished rim.

This is a picture I found online showing what it will look like once my Ferrari caps arrive.

What I am really excited to show is my new cup holder console arrived today from TXGOOD!! He was able to upholster it using the same perforated and flat material from MrMike that he used on my seats. My photos really do not do his work justice, this is a work of art! Please remember in the pictures the parts are only laying in place and the console door is laying on top of the original door. They will look much better when they are actually installed.

Stay tuned as I have a LOT more to follow on this build.

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 05-16-2017).]

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice write up and nice car. Been very interesting reading. Please keep up posting what you are doing with the car-I like it
PFF
System Bot
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2017 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

Nice write up and nice car. Been very interesting reading. Please keep up posting what you are doing with the car-I like it

Thank you! It means a lot when I get comments. I post to share and bounce ideas off people or just give readers some cool pictures to scroll through. Thank you for keeping up with my build. I assure you I have a lot of things in the works that will be coming to light here soon! Stay tuned!

I bought my tires today. I went with the Michelin XWX. Not cheap but period correct design, proper fitment, VR rated, and brand new 2017 date code tires.

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 05-16-2017).]

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What interior paint did you use? If I missed that sorry.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you! It means a lot when I get comments. I post to share and bounce ideas off people or just give readers some cool pictures to scroll through. Thank you for keeping up with my build. I assure you I have a lot of things in the works that will be coming to light here soon! Stay tuned!

I bought my tires today. I went with the Michelin XWX. Not cheap but period correct design, proper fitment, VR rated, and brand new 2017 date code tires.

What sizes did you go with? How tall will the tires be?

Bob

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

What interior paint did you use? If I missed that sorry.

I use SEM Color Coat 15243 Satin Black and SEM 39863 Plastic Adhesion Promoter, both available on Amazon or eBay. They are the best products I have found and I do work like this professionally at dealerships on cars we get in.

How I apply them is I clean the panel very carefully I go over everything with a magic eraser (I buy them in bulk off brand, you can get like 150 of them for $10 on eBay), if the panel seems like it still has oil or armor all left on the surface I tend to clean it one more time with glass cleaner. After the panel is clean and dry I like to quickly wipe them down with lacquer thinner, do not go too thick on it because it will remove the original dye and sometimes eat into the plastic. I like to go quickly with it as it gets everything left on the panel cleaned off and softens the old dye (or plastic) to accept the new dye. Then I hit it with the SEM adhesion promoter, followed by the SEM color coat. I like to let them dry for about 2 hours before moving them and 24 hours before installing.

Everyone may have their own ways of doing it, but for me, this has worked the best and gave me results that have lasted years into the future of daily use.

Originally posted by RCR:

What sizes did you go with? How tall will the tires be?

Bob

I went with 255/45ZR15 all four corners. It's in between what I have on the front and back right now and I think will look great. Sadly the 245/50/R15 that Meras had for front tires is now a dead size. Not one company makes a street tire in that size anymore.

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 05-17-2017).]

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is possible to use the 265 x 50 x 15 tires on all four corners. I use this setup on three Meras (two with Chromadora rims) and it works fairly well. It is possible to get a slight rub on the front tires when doing very low speed, sharp, parking lot turns. However, no problems at all on highway use.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 05-17-2017).]

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is possible to use the 265 x 50 x 15 tires on all four corners. I use this setup on three Meras (two with Chromadora rims) and it works fairly well. It is possible to get a slight rub on the front tires when doing very low speed, sharp, parking lot turns. However, no problems at all on highway use.

Nelson

That was going to be my plan before I found these tires. I really like period correct tires and I love the design of these vintage Michelins.

What brand are you running on your Meras? I was thinking about BFG radial TA if I was going 265/50R15.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. The reason I'm asking is that I've been concerned with the wheel to fender gap. I'm looking at about a 26" tire height to fill it on my "clone".

From my research, the stock Mera was at 25.6".

The 255/45 is only 24.1", so it will look much smaller than the 255/40/18 I was considering (10" wide).

Bob
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since I have the dash out and I am waiting on a heater core I took the opportunity to remove the overly complex alarm system that was installed in the car. I was able to easily return the car wiring back to stock. Then I installed a keyless entry system, it is a very simple setup that just locks and unlocks the doors and flashes the parking lights. I do not like the GM two key setup so this will allow me to carry only one key and a fob (along with a hidden backup door key in event of a failure). I really enjoyed having the space to do the wiring right and heat shrink all the connections and mount the box up high and out of the way. The one nice thing about this system is it has a learning feature that will allow it to add additional remotes. I am going to see if I can find a remote that will work that is small enough I can trim it down to fit in the F360 key heads I have. That would be awesome because I would only need to carry that one key with the built in fob. If I am unable to find a remote that will work with this system I will keep my eyes open for another system that I can swap it out with. it is easy to change now I understand the wiring and the system I bought was only $28.

This is the fob for the system I installed. It is based on a Hyundai key fob.

This is the F360 key head I am going to hope to find a transmitter I can fit into it that I can make work with my system.

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DeLorean00

4251 posts
Member since Aug 2005
Yesterday I finally got the correct Momo steering wheel adapter. I ordered one on eBay and they sent me one for a BMW and I only found out after I already had taken the other steering wheel off. It delayed me about 8 days to get the correct part. I hate having to put stuff back together because someone sold you the wrong part, but at least these days being able to buy parts online you have more control over what parts you get.

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DeLorean00

4251 posts
Member since Aug 2005
My Fiero Store pedals came today and they are beautiful!

PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That was going to be my plan before I found these tires. I really like period correct tires and I love the design of these vintage Michelins.

What brand are you running on your Meras? I was thinking about BFG radial TA if I was going 265/50R15.

The only tire brands in that size that I have seen recently are Hankook and possibly Mastercraft. Does BFG still make anything in the required size?

Nelson
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The only tire brands in that size that I have seen recently are Hankook and possibly Mastercraft. Does BFG still make anything in the required size?

Nelson

A tire shop in town told me they could get them. They are a discount tire shop and often sell old stock or out of production tires. They did not tell me they were old stock but it is possible they were.

Edit: I just checked back, I was incorrect. They could NOT get the BFG anymore. I had them checking a number of sizes and tires and they could get me BFG in other sizes.

The tires they quoted me were BF Goodrich Tires P255/60R15, Radial T/A

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 05-18-2017).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2017 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure you probably looked at BF Goodrich 235-60-15 for the rear and 225-60-15 for the front. Or maybe 235-60-15 all the way around. Has anyone ever tried those?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2017 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I reassembled my dash after redying it but I am still waiting on my heater core to arrive before I can put it back in the car. I have ordered pretty much an entirely new air conditioning system since the car is still R12 and the compressor is frozen, everything has arrived except the compressor and it will be here tomorrow. I also think I have figured out how to make the F360 key heads work with my keyless entry system and hopefully will be able to finish converting to a one key setup. Also tomorrow my new door lock actuators are arriving, I went with an aftermarket design because I have had too much trouble having the stock Fiero systems work reliably.

Also, I finally found center caps that fit perfectly into the Mera wheels, they snap in just like they were made for them. I have some Ferrari decals coming to go on them as well.

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2017 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed my Fiero store pedals today before it got too hot to work. I am still waiting on my heater core so I am trying to get as many things done as I can while the dash is out and I have room to work.

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2017 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DeLorean00

4251 posts
Member since Aug 2005
I cannot wait to finally put the dash back in.

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 05-20-2017).]

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2017 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I did nothing really because it is hot and I am waiting on parts to arrive. I am restless wanting to work but there isn't anything I can really do right now.

So I went through old pictures of my last build. This was an Air Dynamics 355 built on a 1986 Fiero GT using Amida interior. It was a very challenging build but I learn a lot and met some of my best friends.

If you are bored like I am and want to find out more about this build you can read the whole 10-year saga here. You will need to register an account to view the early photos.

http://www.madmechanics.com...-build-diary-19.html
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2017 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did you rebuild the inner workings of the column while you stil have the dash out?>
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

did you rebuild the inner workings of the column while you stil have the dash out?>

Actually, I didn't. This car only has 45k miles so the column is really tight and nice. Plus I keep hearing about an awesome Corvette swap that no one will share photos with me about.

The heater core came today after a week of waiting, but I was at work and its been way to hot to work during the day. So I waited until the evening when it was only 91 and changed it. Finally, I can start putting the car back together.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock