1984 Fiero SE Stalling Issue by Verex
Started on: 02-20-2017 05:59 PM
Replies: 6 (642 views)
Last post by: Verex on 02-22-2017 11:07 AM
Verex

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VerexSend a Private Message to VerexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, so I have a 1984 Pontiac Fiero SE that has about 113,000 miles on it. Initially when I got it I never had the stalling issue, or it happened so rarely that it wasn't a problem (I got it at about 107,000 miles). So now I'm faced with this awful stalling issue and it really prevents me from using the poor thing. On a normal day in Florida it'll drive a few miles, but when it heats up it starts to stall at nearly every stop. Sometimes it'll stall during acceleration and before the engine cuts off it feels like it's suddenly running super lean. The stalling seems to occur when there's heat because on a rainy or cold day it'll take much longer before it begins to stall at all. Usually once the engine has reached about 160 F for a little. However even when it stalls I can usually wait 30 seconds and it starts back up (only to stall at next stop).

Ive changed fuel pump, fuel filter (a while ago), O2 sensor, map sensor, cleaned throttle body, fixed vacuum leaks to throttle body, and IAC valve.

I'm almost certain it's temperature related at this point. If anyone has any idea where to head next that'd be fantastic. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ignition control module is a place to look if haven't already.
Chris Eddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris EddySend a Private Message to Chris EddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the engine sensors. The best test is to read the ALDL. That will tell you what the sensors are reading. An incorrect sensor will whack the computer and cause issues.
Also, I know that you replaced the fuel pump, but measuring the fuel pressure would be the best test.
You can use a flashlight to see what the fuel injector pattern looks like, and verify a clean shower. (TBI same as 4cyl?)
Spark plugs must be gapped and good quality. I had 0.045 gaps in instead of 0.060 and it ran like Shite.
I would do that before making an order for a pile of parts.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No codes have shown up?

https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 02-20-2017).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull tach filter.
See my Cave, HE Ignition

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

vette7584

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 84 se that was doing the same thing exactly, I changed the fuel pump relay and it went away completely!
Verex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VerexSend a Private Message to VerexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still haven't checked my codes but I plan to give that a try today.

I changed my spark plugs and changed their gap. The fuel pump relay looked absolutely awful and there was one at a nearby store so I replaced that as well. After the new relay was installed it seemed like it was able to make it a lot farther before deciding to cut out.

I'm looking into getting a new ignition control module but I'm going to have to order it online. Any more ideas?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock