cranks but won't start. by 2fast288fierogt
Started on: 01-13-2017 08:29 PM
Replies: 49 (1801 views)
Last post by: EightyEight on 09-18-2022 03:34 AM
cebix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2017 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Umm... did you flood it from all that cranking? Either that or the battery died on you - did you charge it?

EDIT: Saw the video again and noticed lights went out in the start position. That's a power problem for sure - either the battery or some connections or you have a short. This car looks modded a lot - why would anyone obscure the idiot lights?

[This message has been edited by cebix (edited 01-18-2017).]

IP: Logged
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2017 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cebix:
- why would anyone obscure the idiot lights?

It usually starts with a code 32 that you don't want to fix, but sooner or later it's real trouble.
2fast288fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2017 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2fast288fierogtSend a Private Message to 2fast288fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked fuel pressure and I have none. Not even a drop or a slight mist came out of that Schrader valve. I bought a multi meter for 19.99 at autozone and I'm ready to start testing things. I'm really surprised that there isn't any fuel pressure because I can hear something that sounds like it would be a fuel pump when I put the car in "on mode". I tried starting it again too but it's still doing the same thing.

For the sake of variety I was using jumper cables and another car instead of the battery pack this time. About the grounding system, do you think it would be worth a shot to just remove it completely and see if anything changes?

The battery in the car was new when I bought the car a couple of years ago but has since died probably a dozen or so times and been left dead for 2-3 months at a time. It can't hold a charge, if I charge it and try starting it a few hours later it will be dead.

I usually use the battery pack and it starts right up

[This message has been edited by 2fast288fierogt (edited 01-18-2017).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2017 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2fast288fierogt:

I'm really surprised that there isn't any fuel pressure because I can hear something that sounds like it would be a fuel pump when I put the car in "on mode".

You can have a brand new fully functioning fuel pump... and still have NO fuel pressure if the short piece of hose in the tank is rotted, or has become disconnected. Have a look Here.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-18-2017).]

2fast288fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2017 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2fast288fierogtSend a Private Message to 2fast288fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so tomorrow I'll pull the fuel tank down and inspect the fuel pump assembly.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2017 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, so tomorrow I'll pull the fuel tank down and inspect the fuel pump assembly.

Well, before you do that, you could check for leaks or a bad filter......yadda yadda yadda. But go after the fuel pressure first, and maybe then you can sort out the ignition and then the ground wires. I would not leave those red cables on the car, however. They indicate that some original ground connections were not working properly.

2fast288fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2018 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2fast288fierogtSend a Private Message to 2fast288fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just typed up something so long that my phone died in the process so that 15 - 20 paragraphs are now gone. This will now be short and to the point. Thanks for all the prior feedback, I'm finding myself in the same position again though. The last time around it was the battery the whole time and I felt dumb so I didn't update you guys with a conclusion. Since the last time we spoke on this thread like I said I found out it was the battery then it ran pretty good once again. I took it to get smog checked but it failed because the nox was a little too high, then I noticed it started overheating. I took it to the mechanic and they said it was the head gasket.

Apparently it had head gasket sealer in the coolant and that's how they knew what it was. I guess I got ripped off when I got the car but anyway they did that for 1200 and I gave them the 40 below stuff I got from the fiero store just to be sure that it would run cool. Not too long after that I discovered a hole in the rear freeze plug which makes me suspicious if they got the mixture right. Then mistakingly I tried replacing the freeze plug myself with a flathead, hammer, metal file, some sandpaper, and ended up having to use a rubber freeze plug because I accidentally filed down some of the block and I left the old freeze plug ring on the blocks hole because I couldn't get it out.

It's not pretty at all but it seems to be working. After much wrist pain and three months of free time gone that problem seems to be fixed. While in the process of trying to get the car to heat up and pop my new freeze plug out I left the car idling for maybe an hour or two tops. I was trying to get it heat up but it never really did I wasn't timing it but it seemed like maybe an hour or two to me. I was also trying to burn out some old gas that was in there for a while maybe a month or two.

It seemed fine, everything looked and felt good, so I turned it off and went to bed the next morning I go to start it and it cranks but won't start once again. I'll make another video of me trying to crank it and start it and post a link either today or tomorrow, it being sinco de mayo and all it'll probably be tomorrow. Anyway I tried replacing the battery again since that is what fixed it last time but that didn't work so I got a new MSD distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wires and coil. It cranks faster now, I also gapped the spark plugs to 60 because I seen on another thread a guy said that 60 is the right way to go with MSD parts installed.

All that said and done still cranks but won't start I'm looking forward to any and all responses from you guys. I wish I had more friends with fieros but you guys are all I have prettymuch, given how rare these things are, which I love. Sorry for not posting in forever I still have that multimeter I never did use it.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2018 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
idling in the driveway shoulda made the car heat up in 10-15 mins and the fan shoulda came on. Sounds like you need to start over. Starting fluid in the tb and see if it starts. If it does u have a fuel problem and need to check fuel pump, filter. that means your spark is good.

If it doesnt fire on starting fluid then u have a spork issue. Charge the battery, pull and check all fuses, unplug and replug all ignition connectors.. check for good spark. Any engine light codes?

shem
2fast288fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2fast288fierogtSend a Private Message to 2fast288fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so I skipped all the testing and decided id just wing it i bought a fuel pump and strainer then went ahead and dropped the fuel tank out. I then discovered a burnt out fuel pump. I have a new A.C. Delco one ready to go in but the electrical connector that plugs directly into the fuel pump is also burned up and melted. Does anyone know where I can get another one? I really want to get one soon but none of my local auto parts store and the iero store doesn't have it either. Does anyone have an extra one laying around that they'd be willing to sell me? Thanks. I attached a quick vid. Showing the burnt out old fuel pump.

I forgot my car wasn't heating up probably because my fan spins up as soon as I put the car in "on mode" for some reason. It's been like that since I bought it. I think they set that up to combat the blown head gasket that it had and that they sealed up with head gasket sealer instead of fixing it the right way, which I did for 1200 bucks about 4 months ago. Also I just got a new battery again so I'm hoping that once I can get my hands on that electrical connector for the fuel pump my car will be started up and on the road again.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ymtkylhPCAc

[This message has been edited by 2fast288fierogt (edited 05-14-2018).]

EightyEight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2022 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EightyEightSend a Private Message to EightyEightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your coil is 1/2 gone! Split on frame & plug wire still on socket and the rest of 1/2 coil is melted to steel. Change coil lol.

Ok, so I skipped all the testing and decided id just wing it i bought a fuel pump and strainer then went ahead and dropped the fuel tank out. I then discovered a burnt out fuel pump. I have a new A.C. Delco one ready to go in but the electrical connector that plugs directly into the fuel pump is also burned up and melted. Does anyone know where I can get another one? I really want to get one soon but none of my local auto parts store and the iero store doesn't have it either. Does anyone have an extra one laying around that they'd be willing to sell me? Thanks. I attached a quick vid. Showing the burnt out old fuel pump.

I forgot my car wasn't heating up probably because my fan spins up as soon as I put the car in "on mode" for some reason. It's been like that since I bought it. I think they set that up to combat the blown head gasket that it had and that they sealed up with head gasket sealer instead of fixing it the right way, which I did for 1200 bucks about 4 months ago. Also I just got a new battery again so I'm hoping that once I can get my hands on that electrical connector for the fuel pump my car will be started up and on the road again.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ymtkylhPCAc

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock