1986 GT Deck Lid Lock Replacement? by jsheck52
Started on: 11-30-2016 01:45 PM
Replies: 6 (579 views)
Last post by: jsheck52 on 12-02-2016 04:11 PM
jsheck52

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsheck52Click Here to visit jsheck52's HomePageSend a Private Message to jsheck52Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Recently the deck lid lock on my '86 GT got stuck and I had to bust the lock out. I have a battery cut off in the engine bay so I couldn't use the electric release or start the car. The lock would turn about 45 degrees and just stop and I bent a key just trying to unlock it.

Anyways, I'm having trouble finding a replacement lock. It seems that the notch-back deck lid locks are easy to come by, but not the fast-backs'. Anyone have any idea where I could find one or modify any other lock to work?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try lubing the lock first, and cut some extra keys. Wd40 will free it up but is not suggested as a permanent lube. I believe graphite grease is proper, and I personally hit mine with silicone spray as regular maintenance.

Fastback deck locks are available alone on eBay, with the occasional set popping up once in a while (trunk and 2 door locks with a matched key). Search for those that only fit 86 to 88.

These can be disassembled and the tumblers swapped between old and new (be sure to buy a lock with the identical letter code stamped on your current stock key, should be C or D if memory serves) and prepare to learn the true meaning of patience when springs and other tiny parts go flying.

Edit to add, I missed the part where you busted the old lock.

[This message has been edited by viperine (edited 11-30-2016).]

jsheck52

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jsheck52Click Here to visit jsheck52's HomePageSend a Private Message to jsheck52Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping for something faster, but at least I have all winter to find something. Thanks.
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you might have to go to the junkyard or see who is doing a part out--the gt trunk lock is not out there at this time--if you do get a new cylinder you might be able to get it rekeyed to fit your original key

------------------
Pat Jones

88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

88FieroGT TTops

710 posts
Member since Mar 2012
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is the difference in the notchback and fastback cylinder? I thought the only difference in the trunk releases was the length of the rod between the cylinder and latch.
jsheck52

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsheck52Click Here to visit jsheck52's HomePageSend a Private Message to jsheck52Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The notch back lock cylinder have 2 wings that have mounting holes in them while the fast backs are just a straight barrel with grooves on the outside that you twist to lock in place. It more closely resembles the door lock cylinders, but has the interface on the end to mate with the stamped rod. There's a plastic covering over the cylinder and the notch back cylinder won't fit inside the covering because of those mounting wings.

Thanks TTops, I'll see what that guy says.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock