Chop Top side Glass by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 10-17-2016 01:11 AM
Replies: 28 (1325 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 03-18-2017 11:49 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone been able to use STOCK "Glass" Fiero door glass in a 4" chop top " ? and made them Work ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
My "purpose" in posting this is :
It CAN be done ! So for everyone who was "putting off" Doing a "chop" Because of the COST of the side /door Glass, it involves TIME Not $$. Most people (myself included tried to make the "Glass fit the door", but then I made the "Door Fit the Glass" !
if any are interested I can post pictures. they FIT, they Work, and it's Not brain surgery LOL
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to see pics.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2016 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

I'd like to see pics.

ditto..

silly rabbit ,asking if we'd like to see photo's.. Helllllllllloo.. lol
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
1st The crash beam is removed (makes everything a lot easier to work on). then the Rear vertical "Track" needs to be "rounded" instead of straight (bends relatively easily)(brings the top of the Glass inward on it's way up). the "Beam" needs to be "Notched" at the rear 8-10 inches or so, to Clear the window lower rail when it goes up/down. Last, I made the Crash Beam to be a "Bolt In" instead of "welded", so if I need to get in there again it's a 5 minute deal. Hope this helps someone. it really bugged me that just because the price of windows so many of us wouldn't be doing a chop, so here's an "alternative method".
PFF
System Bot
Easy8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One observation, the angle of the A pillar gets changed during a chop. The stock glass will not line up and needs to be cut to match this news angle to fit correctly. Did you cut yours and how tight is the seal along the back edge near the top?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll post another Pic this afternoon.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008

bone stock glass window 4" chopped top
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
3 3/4" chop, No alterations to the Glass, OR it's lower track. still need to install the solenoid "door "Poppers".
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am still confused here. Have you taken 3.75 inches out of the whole roof or just the back side? Geometry says that if you have take the 3.75 out of the whole roof the angle of the front window has to change. If you take it out of just the back then the top angle of the side window has to change. The last possible solution is to add length to the top and change the windshield height to keep the angles the same.
I can tell you that my chop is not the same angle as my stock GT. I can get out a square and do the math to get the angles for you from my cars if you like, but in my cars there is no way the stock glass will work in the chop even if I could get it to curve and close up at the top.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3 3/4" is out of the rear pillars, the front was "slit" both at top of the windshield And at he bottom triangles, and the windshield "Laid Back" a little. This did move the" top" Back a little, but not enough worth mentioning. (the rear window "fits" as it should-Lexan) as you can see, the Glass DOES seal on the rubber gaskets. It just Worked Out fine. It was all done with a tape measure and a Sawzall, no slide rule or computer images. Everything Fits.
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I broke out the square and did the math. We will use top of the door as a reference line. These measurements are done with a MK1 calibrated eye ball, so take them with a grain of salt. Looks like the stock window is right at a 33 Degree angle. The chop seems to be at a 33 degree angle or damn close, which is what you say for your car... Who knew.. well it seems you did . Maybe my Mk 1 eye ball is not so good at angles. Now a question for you.. Are you the guy who picked up a top from Straws to swap it into a chop top that had a sun roof? I am in Jacksonville and would love to stop by and see things.. and talk fieros.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"Are you the guy who picked up a top from Straws to swap it into a chop top that had a sun roof? I am in Jacksonville and would love to stop by and see things.. and talk Fieros."
Yea, Guilty, I'm the guy. sure, stop by, I'm usually here and "awake" after 2PM LOL

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think this is similar to the method used on the testarossa kits, but they had less of a chop. Basically rotate the windshield, roof, and side window around the front corner (by the rear view mirror) to lower the upper rear portion of the top and upper corner of the rear glass. The limit to this is likely the width of the vertical window seal unless you want to rotate it slightly as well.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe it was "straws" that I got the entire car from in the beginning also. Maybe not, Got a case of CRS ! LOL
PFF
System Bot
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pm sent
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How far down does the window roll with these mods? We all know a stock fiero has around an inch of glass that always protrudes to begin with.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same as stock, there's no where for it to go !
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would love to see a before and after picture so we could get a better idea how they compare.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2017 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen 2 different chops and they used 2 different side window designs that were different from the original glass. One out of Illinois, and one out of Texas.

------------------
1988 GT, Automatic, running - bought in Illinois and drove to Austin
1986 SE, 4 cyl, 5 speed running - Bought in California and drove to Austin
1988 GT, T-Top - non running - "Trailered" back from California going to be restored (in storage)
1986 GT, highly modified engine/exhaust, but slave/clutch issue - Trailered back from Las Cruces, NM Chop-top candidate (in storage)
1986 SE, bought locally, Automatic won't shift into gear - Chop-top candidate (in storage)
6-11-2014 acquisition - 1987 GT Tangerine/Silver

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2017 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was think about this as well. What pound solenoid is needed? I thought I would by a fish weight scale to figure it out but if you know that would save me money.

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

3 3/4" chop, No alterations to the Glass, OR it's lower track. still need to install the solenoid "door "Poppers".

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2017 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

I was think about this as well. What pound solenoid is needed? I thought I would by a fish weight scale to figure it out but if you know that would save me money.

AVS has a dual solenoid popper that claims to open any door. It is much quieter than a regular popper. I've just replaced mine to AVS solenoids to cut back on the noise. They are also really thin and fit better in tight spaces.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2016...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2017 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used 60 pound solenoids. $25 each "complete kit" on ebay. couldn't work better. there IS a" Before and after", that thing that looks like it got dragged out of a swamp IS the Before picture, the rest are after. Not quite finished yet, too many projects.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock