Need advice, 2.8 injector replacement in progress aaargh by CJB118
Started on: 07-24-2016 05:17 PM
Replies: 7 (484 views)
Last post by: CJB118 on 07-31-2016 12:01 AM
CJB118

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased 6 new injectors - Standard FJ111, which showed as the direct fit aftermarket replacement for my 2.8...received the parts, and I am concerned because dimensionally they are not a match for the OEM GM 5235210's I took out of the rail...see photos, on the new parts the length o-ring to o-ring is about 1/8" shorter , the o-rings are skinnier in section (I am aware the OEM o-rings probably swelled with 27 years of heat and ethanol) and the top o-ring does not "fill" the gap it lives in. Also, they FJ111's are NOT pintles, they are 4-holers. They are also a lot lighter in weight than the originals...These did not seem like a direct replacement to me. So, I test-assembled the fuel rail with the new ones, and for the test, left out the snap rings, then pressurized the rail and gas shot out of the top of 2 injectors. The rail was bolted down fully, but without the snap rings in place, these can move up and down in the bore about 3/8". So, I am ordering a new set of clips, (the originals looked iffy to me) and hope to assemble and run these without further drama...should I proceed, or are these just not workable as shown? Also, how do I know the parts are actually FJ111's? I have found cross references that describe a pintle unit. The stamping on the part is "01G576B", which does not show up in any reference I can find. Has anyone used this injector with sucess?
I will be sending the OEMs out for refurb, and what I do with them then depends on how this episode wraps up. Would like enjoy driving it some more before I have to put it away for the winter.
Thanks

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula, Yellow, original. (CJB #118)
1977 Pontiac Le Mans Can-Am W72, original, unrestored.
1977 Pontiac Grand LeMans
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67/MN7 (Parts Car)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DrCool86SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCool86SESend a Private Message to DrCool86SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put new accel injectors in mine. Like you saw, they were a little shorter from ring to ring, compared to the originals, but when I put them in they locked in and sealed tight. No leaking, no problems. But I read in a thread that someone else tried without the clips, and they leaked, so I went ahead with the clips. I've been driving the car for about three weeks now and no problems with the injectors, knock on wood...
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DrCool86SE:

I put new accel injectors in mine. Like you saw, they were a little shorter from ring to ring, compared to the originals, but when I put them in they locked in and sealed tight.

You probably used the same ones I did. If I recall, the Accel instructions mentioned to place the clip on the upper slot on the injectors, which would serve to make the injectors seat a little lower in their bores in the fuel rail and thus negate the slightly-shorter overall length. Seems there is a bit of "wiggle room" and injectors of slightly varying lengths all work OK.
DrCool86SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCool86SESend a Private Message to DrCool86SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There were instructions?? I got them from the fiero store as I couldn't get them anywhere else. But no instructions with them. Yikes. I guess I got lucky. But yeah it looked like there was wiggle room of a couple mms.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2016 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DrCool86SE:

There were instructions?? I got them from the fiero store as I couldn't get them anywhere else. But no instructions with them. Yikes. I guess I got lucky. But yeah it looked like there was wiggle room of a couple mms.

It was more like a little piece of paper tucked in the box, like maybe 2 inches by 3 inches, that said "many GM applications will require placing the clip on the upper slot to seat the injectors correctly" or some such language. But I ordered mine from Jegs; maybe Fiero Store repackages them and tosses out the paperwork.

CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2016 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No instructions in the package. And there is no "upper" slot, unless this means the space between the upper o-ring and the plastic housing...with these being shorter, I would want them riding higher (possible vacuum leak at base) rather than lower (possible gas leak at top). That is how they will be assembled when I get new clips, and updates will be posted after testing.

------------------

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2016 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep in mind the fuel rail is pressurized to 40PSI+ when the fuel pump is on. That's enough to shoot an injector out of the rail, if it isn't secured. Long story short, put the clips on and try again.
CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boom. New clips ordered from Jegs and installed. Injectors seal perfectly, car now runs SCHWEEET. STANDARD FJ111 injectors, TFS fuel pressure gauge, new Delphi Pump, pulsator and fuel filter. It's all working together beautifully. CJB118 will be at TFS swap meet in August, looking for any doodads needed to mate an L67 Series II wiring harness into a notchback.

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock