Started on: 12-11-2015 09:47 PM
Replies: 5 (644 views)
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 12-15-2015 09:00 PM
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2015 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I needed to change the cam bearings on an engine I am refreshing, having never done it before, I decided to share how I did it.
Normally it is something you have a machine shop do when they have the block, but this block didn't need to go to a machine shop and I saw the bearings were worn so I needed to change them. Having found an installer tool in the shop here I decided to try it myself, and take a bunch of pics.

To start off, here is the tool, it is for SBCs but they have the same size bearings so it worked, (yes I know I could have used SBC bearings but I went with the 2.8 ones)
The tool.

The cone side is to align it so the bearings go in/come out straight.

The bearings

Now the bearings are a bit different, the first one has two holes and the outside two are bigger than the inside two (so they can go through the out side holes for install)
As seen here, the outside ones.

The inside ones.

Now the first one make note(take a pic) of the holes so it can be installed in the same position.

Here is a pic of the old bearings.

Here is the first one knocked into the block, I only have a pusher tool.

Now nowhere anywhere could I find instructions on how to get them out, most engines are open they they just fall out the bottom, not so much luck on a 60deg block.
So here is what I came up with, smashing them so the fit through the hole, with a screwdriver and hammer. BTW I used a deadblow hammer for all of this.

And got this, came right out of the hole.

Here you can see how the cone part sits to align the tool.

And the next bearing, you can see the gold on it thus needed to be changed out.

On the back one I marked where the hole is, (the light blue mark) it is about 4:30 looking from the front

All the bearings out.

Now to put the new ones in. I used that mark I made, lined it up with the hole and made a line on the top, much easier to see inside the block.

The inner two go in first as they are smaller and slip through the out side holes. Oil up the bearing, it helps it slid in and helps protect it.
Here is the cone in place and the bearing ready to go in.

Now go REAL SLOW, check often to see when you have the hole lined up with the grove, you do not want to go past, only the first one can you go in from the other side if you go too far.

Nice shiny new bearing installed.

Bearing on the installer.

Now on the outside ones I put the installer on backwards so I could use the cone on the other side for alignment.

All the bearings in, on the front one, if it has a slot make sure it faces out as to help oil the timing chain.

I hope this helps to show what is involved when replacing cam bearings.

<---Don't forget to rate, thanks.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2015 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good write up...thanks for sharing.
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was a great write-up! I love to see techniques documented as clearly and well done as this. This will definitely help many people!
Fieroresto

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierorestoSend a Private Message to FierorestoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great write up!! Hope to see more like this
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2015 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
before you go any further, make sure to push the front cam bearing into the block just past the edge of the block face to ensure proper oiling of the timing set and thrust plate. doesn't have to be much, .030 should probably be fine.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2015 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

before you go any further, make sure to push the front cam bearing into the block just past the edge of the block face to ensure proper oiling of the timing set and thrust plate. doesn't have to be much, .030 should probably be fine.

It is not flush with the block, I lined up the holes to the oil grove in the block, one hole has a grove cut for oiling the timing components anyway. But good to give others a heads up.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock