Car dies under no load by countach711
Started on: 12-02-2015 10:18 PM
Replies: 11 (504 views)
Last post by: countach711 on 05-05-2016 08:27 PM
countach711

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2015 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86 V6 turbo 4 speed that took a lot to get running right, for a while. New fuel pump, injectors, all the usual sensors, etc. Now it basically dies when coasting then you hit the gas and it jumps back to life. It also sometimes bucks under acceleration, but once that goes away it will run like a bat out of h-e double. toothpicks. My guess is it's not getting gas for some reason. Fuel pressures were good last I checked but it's been a while..

[This message has been edited by countach711 (edited 12-02-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2015 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just (educated) guesses... fuel pressure, TPS
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2015 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull the VSS plug on the transmission, check the pins and clean it .....re-seat. It's a cheap fix that may do nothing, but I have seen them loose contact before.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2015 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost sounds backwards but..EGR?
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check idle air control. (And there's no VSS plug if it's a 4-speed.)
Oops. I was thinking about TCC.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 12-11-2015).]

FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a VSS on my 4 speed and the plug has lost contact on more than one occasion.
If the speedometer is working, clean the connector under the speedometer (in the instrument cluster wiring) which may have come loose or corroded. It relays the VSS speed info to the ECM. If the connection is bad the ECM won't know what speed the car's going.

------------------
My Fiero: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, 4-speed manual

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Check idle air control. (And there's no VSS plug if it's a 4-speed.)

VSS is the Vehicle Speed Sensor - all transmissions have them.
TCC - Torque Converter Clutch lockup is what a manual won't have.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
all good suggestions, I'll try them out.
CarolinaRigman

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarolinaRigmanSend a Private Message to CarolinaRigmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, Fiero Sound!! does the VSS connection bad or maybe a bad VSS give a code or check engine light?
I've got a similar problem but the computer is saying Po300 , Makes sense though. The speedometer
is working but it may not be sending the signal to the ECM .

Thanks!
Doug

THANKS, GALLl757!! Good suggestion!

[This message has been edited by CarolinaRigman (edited 12-12-2015).]

countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
finally had time and weather to get to this. First I re-seated the vss plug and it seemed okay. I then replaced the original, slightly hand-bored throttle body because the one on it was a loaner.and I need to return it. I also replaced the tach filter with Rodney's. I took it out for a drive and it didn't do it's stalling or hesitation thing! I will try some more since we are having great weather this week, but so far so good. So I think it may have been the tach filter. One wire had broken on the old one, is it possible it was sending bad signals or 'confusing' the ECU somehow?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes.

bad tach filters do many odd things.
PFF
System Bot
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2016 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so it wasn't the tach filter, it returned. I did solve it however after following the advice of the guy on here that burns custom chips for folks (I forget his name). He recommended I remove the MSD box I have in there along with the Accel coil and going back to stock, problem solved!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock