Tuning issues by Jim Jimenez
Started on: 11-30-2015 12:27 AM
Replies: 5 (294 views)
Last post by: countach711 on 12-02-2015 10:12 PM
Jim Jimenez

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2015 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim JimenezSend a Private Message to Jim JimenezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a tuning problem. The 3.4 in my '88 Fiero runs on 5 cylinders for the first 4 minutes after cold start, and then smooths out and idles at nearly 2000 RPM for the next 4 minutes, after which the idle returns to normal, and the car runs great. Myself and other mechanic friends are pulling our hair out over this one.

I have already replaced all the normal tune up parts, as well as the fuel injectors, intake air temp sensor, and the temp sensor for the ECM.

This problem started at the beginning of the Fiero season this year, and has only gotten worse. Has anybody else out there run into a similar situation? HELP!!!

Thanks in advance---------

------------------
Corvairo

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2015 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Distributor Cap?

Look for something that would change when hot.....perhaps the spark plug.
Jim Jimenez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2015 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim JimenezSend a Private Message to Jim JimenezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cap is new, and I have E3 spark plugs in there. Maybe, just for grins, I should install a slightly used set of AC Delcos. I feel like I tried everything else.

Thanks for your reply!

Jim
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2015 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good Idea. The V6 ignition seems to like the stock plugs best in most cases.
Jim Jimenez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2015 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim JimenezSend a Private Message to Jim JimenezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guess what? I think you hit the nail on the head!! I installed a new set of R42-TS's, and the 3.4 now purrs like a kitty! Now, if I can only find that shift cable clamp that I dropped, and seems to have vanished into a black hole.

If anyone asks about E3 plugs, they are JUNK. I learned a very expensive lesson

Thank you again for your reply!

Jim
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2015 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Distributor Cap?

Look for something that would change when hot.....perhaps the spark plug.

how friggin smart are you? Nice job, MacGuiver! Please check my thread, maybe you could lead me in the right direction.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock