Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Struts for 88 fiero question (87 are compatible?)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Struts for 88 fiero question (87 are compatible?) by mrstan
Started on: 11-24-2015 11:48 PM
Replies: 3 (277 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 11-25-2015 12:04 PM
mrstan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrstanSend a Private Message to mrstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking at struts for my 88GT, and found some which are actually for an 87, but the site lists them as compatible with the 88 as well. when I compare the two though I see the 88 struts have a longer travel length in their specs. Has anyone had experience putting 87 struts on an 88, or know the difference of the two? The pictures I am not sure if I actually trust to compare, so I am relying on some first hand experience here...

thanks guys!
Stan Skaggs
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Struts for the earlier years work fine on the 88's. (It's your only option!) Keep in mind though that the springs and the "hat" are unique to the 88's.

I should add that possibly depending on the brand of the struts, there is a very minor bit of grinding that sometimes needs to be done in order for enough camber to be dialed in. If you can't find one of the threads using the search function where this procedure is described, someone might post a link.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-25-2015).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Gabriel, Munroe, KYB, and Koni all make replacement struts for the rear of a Fiero. They may only be listed as '84 - '87 but they will fit the '88 and those are what everyone uses even when they make coil overs. There are no companies that make the '88 specific rear strut anymore.

There is one area on your '88 knuckles that might interfere with the earlier struts and prevent you from setting the right camber though. Most people with an '88 that have replaced their shocks have had to grind a small point on the backside of their knuckles. Here's the area I'm talking about:

It's best just to grind it down an 1/8" or so while you have it apart because if they have to do it when you go to get the car re-aligned, they'll charge you a chunk of change to disassemble and grind them.

from this thread:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132513.html
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I did the '88 cradle swap on my '87 Fiero, I was able to reuse the KYB struts from the '87 rear suspension without any issues. But as always, YMMV.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock