Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  85-88 V6 Fuel Sending Unit from Fiero Store - Is it long enough for 12 gallon tank???

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
85-88 V6 Fuel Sending Unit from Fiero Store - Is it long enough for 12 gallon tank??? by Fiero Vice
Started on: 11-02-2015 12:19 PM
Replies: 16 (1205 views)
Last post by: fierogt28 on 05-23-2016 10:31 PM
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-02-2015 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently purchased a "Fuel Sending Unit" from Fiero Store & won't be installing it anytime soon. I'm concerned it might be little short to reach the bottom of a 12 gallon tank when 85-86 have 10 gallon tank. The store claimed they haven't had any problem from other 500 customers that ordered it & told me they would gladly take it back if it's a problem.

Just wondering if anyone tried to install it into 12 gallon tank yet? If you take a look at this picture of 12 gallon tank vs 10 gallon tank, it’s little taller. I'd like to have a peace of mind knowing that it won't post a problem in the future when I'm ready to do this task. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-02-2015 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the link from Fiero Store if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.fierostore.com/P...px?s=60912&d=240&p=1

I've read from other thread where a Fiero owner is selling "custom made fuel sending unit" for similar price & claimed that 12 gallon tank requires longer tubes. I would have bought it from him, but hesitated due to the fact there's one or two problems with other customers that he put off in solving. Whenever possible, I'd prefer to support Fiero owners selling over commercial.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 2 cents for what it's worth. As long as you can adjust the wire arm to reach the bottom of the tank worse case is the gauge would set at a full tank longer until it started to move.
Would think the arm would be long enough to make that adjustment.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
500 customers bought these already? Wow...

Must be a hot seller...or many fiero owners are in dire of new fuel sending units...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:
...or many fiero owners are in dire (need) of new fuel sending units...

This. The sending unit is a known piece of GM cheapness.....

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-02-2015).]

hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I have to repair a 0-90 ohm sending unit in a Fiero, I use the 'Classic Instruments SN38 0-90 Tank Sender' ($43.97).
GM-style, 0-90 ohms.
Adjusts from 6.000 in. to 24.000 in. height.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cin-sn38

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/134771.html

[This message has been edited by hdryder (edited 11-02-2015).]

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-02-2015 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hdryder:

When I have to repair a 0-90 ohm sending unit in a Fiero, I use the 'Classic Instruments SN38 0-90 Tank Sender' ($43.97).
GM-style, 0-90 ohms.
Adjusts from 6.000 in. to 24.000 in. height.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cin-sn38

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/134771.html

Thanks for the links, Hdryder. I wish I had gone with that routine and save about $100 bucks.

The one from Fiero Store is measured 10 inch in length. Does anyone know the length from bottom to top of 12 gallon tank?
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-03-2015 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

500 customers bought these already? Wow...

Must be a hot seller...or many fiero owners are in dire of new fuel sending units...

Well, the price came down to $149. Plus recently there was a 10 percent discount. It was out of stock for a while. So those may be the factors. Yeah, 500 is a lot of customers.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 11-03-2015).]

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-03-2015 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:
As long as you can adjust the wire arm to reach the bottom of the tank

Wire arm, is that the one with the floating device on it? It's measured in 10 inch. I found a thread where someone mentioned that his 12 gallon tank is 10 inch in length from bottom to top. I'm hoping someone could confirm it.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 11-03-2015).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2015 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

Yeah, 500 is a lot of customers.

I bought one.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-03-2015 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

I bought one.

Good quality, is it? Installed yet?

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 11-04-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2015 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had one installed in my 87 GT along with a new fuel pump (original equipment) so I figured time for a change. I had my mechanic do the work as my car was in his shop for another DS axel. He said it went in fine.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-04-2015 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

I had one installed in my 87 GT along with a new fuel pump (original equipment) so I figured time for a change. I had my mechanic do the work as my car was in his shop for another DS axel. He said it went in fine.

The one from Fiero Store? That's great! I guess I will understand better once I install it myself. I'm trying to understand how one size can reach the depth of both 10 gallon & 12 gallon tanks...when others had to adjust the length for a bigger tank? Go figure! Thanks, Old Lar!
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

Good quality, is it? Installed yet?

It looked to be good quality. I installed it quite a while ago. No issues with it at all.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-08-2015 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

It looked to be good quality. I installed it quite a while ago. No issues with it at all.

Glad to hear that, Neils88! Thanks!
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2015 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The shorter one will work just fine, but you might reduce the usable capacity of the tank.
When I fill up my 88 fuel tank, I routinely put 10.2-10.3 gallons in. Anyone using this sending unit in an 88 tank filled up with 10 gallons?
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2016 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump..

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock